PDA

View Full Version : Rewarded for Backstory?

Klide
2017-02-16, 03:42 PM
Hello Everyone! I was just wondering how you all feel about players who go above and beyond with character creation and backstory. I've been working on a Half-Elf Bard with an Elven father who is a Blacksmith & Jeweler, and a Mother who was an Adventuring Rogue before she settled down and had him, though she still takes the odd contracts occasionally. I've thus far written 7.5 pages of backstory, and was wondering how you, as a DM, would treat that. Would you allow for my Bard to have a proficiency in Thieves tools and Smith tools, given my parents and me being brought up with them training me in their trades?

Frogosaurus
2017-02-16, 03:49 PM
I'd probably allow it, though I might drop the number of skill proficiencies by one to make up for the extra tool proficiency. (Or not; blacksmith tool use is going to come up about once every couple years at most in the majority of games)

Breashios
2017-02-16, 03:51 PM
By picking the appropriate background or creating one that is balanced with those you can see in the source material you have access to, you should be able to start with that and not be ahead of fellow players. What I have seen DMs do is give a few hundred XP for the effort, but they should offer it to everyone before the start of the campaign or by a specified point in advancement.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-16, 03:52 PM
Hello Everyone! I was just wondering how you all feel about players who go above and beyond with character creation and backstory. I've been working on a Half-Elf Bard with an Elven father who is a Blacksmith & Jeweler, and a Mother who was an Adventuring Rogue before she settled down and had him, though she still takes the odd contracts occasionally. I've thus far written 7.5 pages of backstory, and was wondering how you, as a DM, would treat that. Would you allow for my Bard to have a proficiency in Thieves tools and Smith tools, given my parents and me being brought up with them training me in their trades?

https://media.makeameme.org/created/i-think-i-hh4vsa.jpg
I would not reward you for writing a long backstory. If your backstory was interesting, we'd be playing through it rather than skipping over it, and it's monstrously unfair to the other players. Do you want a reward for neat handwriting on your character sheet, too? The only thing I, as the DM, need, is a couple of plot hooks. You can do that in three of four sentences - something the PHB deliberately nudges you towards with those personality/ideal/bond/flaw tables.

Mechanically speaking, you get two tools/languages from your background. Talk to your DM about custom backgrounds and leave it at that.

Sigreid
2017-02-16, 03:55 PM
No, I wouldn't. You'd have to take the right background to get any proficiency you want. Frankly, I'd be a little concerned when first presented with the character and backstory that your backstory was going to back the campaign into a corner. Depending on what you wrote it might not be an issue, but a huge backstory isn't necessarily a plus.

If you like writing complicated stories, you should try the other side of the screen. :smallbiggrin:

Fishyninja
2017-02-16, 03:56 PM
One thing to remember with backstories is they have to fit into the DM's world (which requires discussion with them), but also remember it is a tool to be used, from reciting stuff back from my characters backstory and what I know from the party I have managed to snag a few inspirations and some bonus ability points!

However, I will not that this is very DM dependant.

Theoboldi
2017-02-16, 03:57 PM
No. That's what your background if for, after all. I'd simply tell you to customize one with those proficiencies, as per the rules.

That said, I'm very sceptical of allowing players to get bonuses and extras because they handed in a long backstory. For one, I think that is unfair towards players who are either not creative enough or have enough time to create such a long backstory. Also, I find that an overly long backstory usually means that much of it will just never come up in my campaigns and that they just make players inflexible about developing their character during play. So I wouldn't want to encourage them at all.

Rysto
2017-02-16, 04:04 PM
The only "reward" that my DM gave me for my cool backstory was sending a bunch of demons to try and kill my character.

Admittedly, my backstory boiled down to "a bunch of demons want me dead". :P

Sigreid
2017-02-16, 04:07 PM
The only "reward" that my DM gave me for my cool backstory was sending a bunch of demons to try and kill my character.

Admittedly, my backstory boiled down to "a bunch of demons want me dead". :P

You mean you had XP delivered!:smallbiggrin:

Biggstick
2017-02-16, 04:13 PM
I would not reward you for writing a long backstory. If your backstory was interesting, we'd be playing through it rather than skipping over it, and it's monstrously unfair to the other players. Do you want a reward for neat handwriting on your character sheet, too? The only thing I, as the DM, need, is a couple of plot hooks. You can do that in three of four sentences - something the PHB deliberately nudges you towards with those personality/ideal/bond/flaw tables.

Mechanically speaking, you get two tools/languages from your background. Talk to your DM about custom backgrounds and leave it at that.

This is said perfectly.

For the OP, I've bolded the part that matters.

It really depends on your DM. Despite what most DM's on these boards feel about it, all that matters is what your DM feels is appropriate. I know I myself wouldn't grant you anything special or extra, I'd just have some new named NPC's (that you've given me a story on) that I can utilize to get you as a player moving towards a goal.

PaxZRake
2017-02-16, 04:16 PM
No, backstory informs the direction that your character will attempt to take the story, not the bonuses on your character sheet.

Could also inform where the DM attempts to take the story. Sometimes I have a lot of fun weaving a character's pasts into the plot.

I could write 20 pages on how my Wizard's parents were Knights and tried to train my character to be one since birth... which is why I'm a sad Wizard with Heavy Armor and Shield proficiency.

LudicSavant
2017-02-16, 04:29 PM
I've thus far written 7.5 pages of backstory, and was wondering how you, as a DM, would treat that.

I wouldn't care one whit about the length of your backstory. I would only care about the quality of your backstory.

mephnick
2017-02-16, 04:29 PM
I've thus far written 7.5 pages of backstory, and was wondering how you, as a DM, would treat that.

I wouldn't read it. You should be able to sum up your character's backstory in a single sentence and then get on with what matters.

a Half-Elf Bard with an Elven father who is a Blacksmith & Jeweler, and a Mother who was an Adventuring Rogue before she settled down and had him, though she still takes the odd contracts occasionally

Congratulations, you have a backstory.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-16, 04:36 PM
the reward is a job well done and WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breashios
2017-02-16, 05:05 PM
So as has been clearly stated, it will depend on your DM, not what anyone here thinks.

The length of the backstory does nothing for anybody. And as has been pointed out, if it is too long or too detailed it will be harder for the DM to help you adjust it to fit the game world (which must be done as part of the process if the DM wants to take the time). If the DM does not want to spend the time looking at what you've written then it was basically done for yourself and informs your choice of background or modifications to an existing one with DM approval.

If this is something that your DM asked for, then I still think the best award I have seen for it is a little bit of XP, but many GMs don't even use XP anymore, so that might put you back into the "I did it for myself" category.

Good luck and have fun in the new campaign.

Biggstick
2017-02-16, 05:21 PM
If this is something that your DM asked for, then I still think the best award I have seen for it is a little bit of XP, but many GMs don't even use XP anymore, so that might put you back into the "I did it for myself" category.

I don't think it's very unreasonable for a DM to ask for some sort of backstory (either a couple bullet points, a paragraph, or a few pages). It shows the player is willing to invest time into the campaign in trying to figure out some small way in which the PC is part of the campaign world.

Again, it doesn't have to be much, just enough to show the DM that this Player is serious about wanting to play in the campaign.

Demonslayer666
2017-02-16, 05:28 PM

As a DM, I love a good character background. But 7.5 pages? That's getting into way too much detail that I will not remember, and unless you are a good writer, I may not even make it half way through it. If I received that, I'd ask for a summary instead.

I tend to generously reward detailed backgrounds, so those seem fine to me.

Deleted
2017-02-16, 05:31 PM
Your reward for such a backstory would me putting your character's family into the plot somehow.

No extra proficiencies (tho my groups start with a lot more than normal).

Maybe your PC's mother writes to you that there was an explosion at your dad's smith. Now normally your PC's father doesn't deal with explosive materials so why was there an explosion.

The group would investigate to find that your PC's father was working with a terrorist alchemist to make new weapons that would be used against someone who was good, liked by the party, or related to another party member.

Your character's mother asks for you to stop the attack so your character's father's name doesn't become shamed. She would ask your group to find out if maybe he was magically manipulated (he wasn't... But you could lie to her).

If your party doesn't stop the attack (which would be independent of actually beating the terrorist alchemists in a fight) your character's mother would take her own life. If you save the town/person/whatever then your PC's mother retires and your group inherits the land/money ... Your PCs now have a place to build a smith and possibly make some money on the side.

If the mother takes her life... Well... There is no will and your mother's sister gets you cut out of the inheritance for the most part, though you wpuld get paid a little.

gfishfunk
2017-02-16, 05:32 PM
Its great to get excited for the story, but I would recommend a few bullet points otherwise you might get stuck in the story you wrote and getting angry for the DM not knowing your background.

Deleted
2017-02-16, 05:33 PM
Its great to get excited for the story, but I would recommend a few bullet points otherwise you might get stuck in the story you wrote and getting angry for the DM not knowing your background.

This is great advice.

Remember there are multiple players and one DM. No matter how good of a DM one can be, they are only human (with real world stuff to deal with).

Toilet Cobra
2017-02-16, 05:36 PM
As has been mentioned, the length of that backstory is a bit much unless that's the norm for your group (yikes).

I do offer 'rewards' to my players based on their backstory in that they can meet useful NPCs and experience events that they might not have otherwise. For example, for your character I might mention that, after a successful spot check, you notice and recognize a thieve's guild symbol carved onto a fencepost that lets you know you're entering the guild's territory. Now technically that's a free Knowledge: Local roll you just got. But it serves my purposes for the story and it makes your character a little more fleshed out to the rest of the party, so it's definitely worth it to me, even if you haven't put a single skill point in K:Local.

That's the primary way your backstory would be rewarded by me. I absolutely would not give skill points or free thieves' tools or anything tangible along with that unless the entire group was getting something similar and we'd discussed it beforehand.

MrStabby
2017-02-16, 05:58 PM
Well I wouldn't ever give anything big out for a back story.

For a background like the OP I would give nothing for an adventurer parent - you get to experience adventuring firsthand so little benefit to secondhand tales. Likewise for the blacksmith - most adventurers (or at least many) are likely to have spend enough time round a forge to know the basics.

I would however throw in advantage on checks to recognise jewellery or the style of fine metalwork. Probably intelligence checks to infer peoples backgrounds from their clothing and appraise the quality of their attire.

Oh yeah, and that would be based on the summary not 7.5 pages of backstory.

More detailed back story does get a bit more plot time though - recurring NPCs, common threats tied together and so on.

The only bit of a backstory I really care about as a DM is the bit about how you know the others in the party and why you are trusting them with your life. Anything else is just a bonus.

Ronnocius
2017-02-16, 09:33 PM

I would be pissed off if someone actually asked for mechanical benefits because of a backstory. As to length, 1 page is pretty much the maximum you should write because otherwise it can conflict with what the DM wants. People expecting "rewards" at the beginning of the game for a backstory is kind of disgusting.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-17, 03:22 AM
It's best to make sure your DM actually wants this much material. If he doesn't, it's likely to be overwhelming. And if you didn't discuss rewards in advance, don't be surprised if it turns out you're not on the same page.

The only time I recall coming close to doing that much backstory (6 pages or so) was at the GM's request. The reward was having him use most of it in his campaign, after he read it and signed off on it.

djreynolds
2017-02-17, 03:59 AM
At the end of a long and exhausting jungle adventure, I awarded all of my players the outlander background.

They got survival and athletics skills (if they had it already, oh well), ........ but the foraging aspect only works for them in a jungle type of environments.

I award new backgrounds, players like it.

In a game starved for feats and ASI, they like these rewards better than some item they can't use or are going to sell.

Not everyone wants to multiclass, or preplan every aspect of their character, this allows players to just be and take the game in as it comes...

Perhaps if you saved a town, you might get the folk hero background. You get the skills, but the other stuff only works with that particular town and its neighbors. Same for soldiering

So ask your DM if he thinks you could after all long mission working as a fencer... you might become earn the artisan background or an aspect of the criminal background

Draco4472
2017-02-17, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't give you proficiency per say, that would just be unfair to the rest of the group. However, I'd allow you have make certain checks at a lower DC, or rarely with advantage.

djreynolds
2017-02-17, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't give you proficiency per say, that would just be unfair to the rest of the group. However, I'd allow you have make certain checks at a lower DC, or rarely with advantage.

That's a good idea, roughly the same as proficiency, +5 to +6 and more powerful at lower levels.

I like that

Theodoxus
2017-02-17, 07:17 AM
Your backstory is TL;DR

I use a 5 step background for most of my characters. Every DM I've played with has loved it, as it gets to the nuts and bolts of your character and gives them something to work with in regards to plot hooks and antagonists.

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum. [The 5E Ideals and Flaws works just fine here, but you can go on your own as well]

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. [This can be something as ephemeral as "I want to rule the world" or as specific as "I want to own a +5 Holy Avenger"]

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help the DM in creating plots that center around your character. [I know some will balk at the idea that you can metagame a secret you know, but your character doesn't...]

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

As an example, here's my background for a Deadland's Reloaded Blessed character named Endicott Peabody:

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.

Reverend Endicott Peabody, vicar of St Paul’s Episcopal Church
1) Endicott was born in Salem Massachusetts, but moved to England when he was 13. At the age of 19, he graduated from Cheltenham College in England and enrolled at Trinity College, at Cambridge Mass.
2) He left Seminary school after a single semester to rebuild a church in Tombstone, AZ.
3) Traveling to Tombstone took 7 days by train from Boston to Benson AZ. The trip was wholly uneventful.
4) The previous church had burnt down six months prior to his arrival, and the reverend who tended the flock previously had left after only two months. It took 6 months and $5,000 to build the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on 3rd Street.
5) While homesick for the east coast, he has decided to remain in Tombstone, at least as long as the West remains Weird.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.

1) Endicott wants to know what precipitated the events that made the West Weird, and if there’s anything that can be done to correct it and bring life back to some normalcy.
2) He is seeking to further refine his touch with divinity, always seeking to unlock the mysteries of the universe.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character.

1) Endicott secretly wishes he were younger and more fit to lead his people in this trying time. He has an adventurers heart, but age has slowed his step and now caution and planning rule the day when he’d rather just rush in.
2) Unknown to Endicott, the Heavenly Host have plans for him, should he loose the mortal coil.

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

1) Endicott’s wife: Fannie. He sent her back to Boston when they realized the oddities occurring around Tombstone were of the deadly sort. They keep in touch through letters and the occasional telegraph. His devotion to her is what keeps him sane and sinless.
2) Richard Ward: Endicott’s right hand man and underpriest. **** is only 29, but already wise in the world. He’s Endicott’s protégé and will take over the running of the church should Endi ever retire, or heaven forbid, die.
3) Big Nose Kate (Mary Katherine Horony) – prostitute and companion of Doc Holiday, Kate and Endicott are polar opposites on the healthy lifestyle scale. While he isn’t overtly prudish, he does feel Kate should settle down or move on. The two have taken to quietly agreeing to disagree and avoid contact – he by staying out of the saloons and she by not going to church.

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

1) Endicott remembers the trip to England. The water was very cold and the mood was dour.
2) Endicott remembers his seminary training. He tries to live up to his instructors vision of a godly life every day.
3) Endicott remembers when he first fell in love with Fanny. His uncle had brought her to visit in England when they were both 16. He knew right away that he would marry his cousin.

furby076
2017-02-17, 08:09 AM
I have a fairly long backstory - maybe 6-8 pages. The DM enjoyed the story (made him laugh and cry). He found it interesting. He said at some point the npcs in the story will come into play - and he has ideas when, and how.

Other then that it didn't give me anything extra. In the case of my character, he is low intelligence (dump stat, and DM bumped it up to 9, because he didn't want me to walk around with 6). So even though, by RAW/RAI, i could roll knowledge arcana, I don't let me character do that. BUT, since he grew up in a house of nobility, I do pipe up with "ok i will roll on that"...now, that is just me. It's not a bonus, just one of my ways of RPing my pretty dumb character.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-02-17, 11:21 AM

As they have said figure out if your DM wants that much to read.

Some people can say as much in one paragraph as others can in five pages. What is a detail to you may be fluff to someone else.

If you know your DM likes reading it might be a thrill for him/her.

I have had DM's who issued 50xp for anything approaching a paragraph of a back story which he could use.

Write for your enjoyment and the DM's. Just don't expect more than the guy with a well written text message gets.

Tanarii
2017-02-17, 12:07 PM
(Answered the wrong question in my first post, so retrying)

No, definitely not. In fact, I'd tell you to go back and write what matters for a 5e character: Personality, Ideal, Bond and Flaw. 1-2 sentences each. Then you'd be "rewarded" for using them in play with Inspiration.

And I'd also note that in general, backstory isn't particularly important for D&D characters, what matters most is the motivations for your character, and in-game decision making. Not pre-play backstory. That you're welcome to write a story about your character if you want, but don't expect me to incorporate your story writing into my game, especially if it re-writes or introduces any major campaign history events or major organizations or characters. Edit: Instead decide what your characters motivations and goals are, and tell me what those are and work towards accomplishing them.