PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Pyromancer

CinuzIta
2017-02-16, 05:29 PM
Hello everybody!

In an upcoming campaign I'll be playing a sorcerer that has some link with fire from background.
Nothing big to be honest: when he was a child he set his house on fire while he was having a nightmare; that was the first time ever he experimented his power and because of that accident he has always been somewhat adverse about using fire spells.

Anyway, I'd like him to overcome his ""fear"" of fire and eventually become a - tadaa- pyromancer later on.
My GM likes the background and the idea so I proposed to create a prc. Now I'd like to have your opinion about it before handling it to the GM. I'm not really looking for absolute power here, just something flavourful and funny. Still, I had to give the class some powerful ability to help her overcome the loads of options that allow creatures to ignore damage via evasion and fire resistance.

As you may notice, I mainly have combat abilities here.
If you have some out of combat abilities that you think would fit the class, I'd be more than happy to read them!

In the specific I'm looking on advices about balance and other utility abilities

Prerequisites:
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks , Spellcraft 9 ranks.
Feats: Energy Substitution (Fire), Fiery Burst.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells.
Special: ability to cast at least two spells with the Fire descriptor.

HD: d4
Skill Points: 4 + Int
Skills: The Pyromancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis),Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Pyromancer TABLE 1:1

Base
Attack
Level Bonus Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Son of Flames, +1 spellcasting level
Scorching Flames
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Control Flames +1 spellcasting level
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Unavoidable Flames +1 spellcasting level
4th +2 +2 +2 +4 Improved Control Flames +1 spellcasting level
5th +2 +2 +2 +4 High Pyromancer +1 spellcasting level

Son of Flames (Su): starting at 1st level, the pyromancer gains Fire Resistance equal to 5 per her class level. She's also considered affected by a continuous endure elements effect, as the spell (she can turn on and off this effect at will).
Lastly she can use the Prestidigitation cantrip at will, but only to create effects with small fires (lighting up candles, for example) or heat.

Scorching Flames (Su): starting at 1st level, the pyromancer can ignore 5 points per class level of enemies' Fire Resistance.

Control Flames(Su): at 2nd level, the pyromancer choose nonmagical flame that she can see within 60 feet and that fits within a 5-foot cube. She can affect it in one of the following ways:
• She can instantaneously expand the flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
• She can instantaneously extinguish the flames within the cube.
• She can double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame, change its color, or both. The change lasts for 1 hour.
• She can cause simple shapes—such as the vague form of a creature, an inanimate object, or a location—to appear within the flames and animate as she likes. The shapes last for 1 hour.

Unavoidable Flames (Su): starting at 3rd level, the Pyromancer's flames are alive with a strange desire to burn things and can not be avoided. Everything will feel the burn of her fire, but may still resist the burn. Any Fire spell she casts with a Reflex save, instead has that save changed to a Fortitude save.

Improved Control Flames (Su): starting at 4th level, the pyromancer can use her Control Flames special ability also on magical flames. To control such flames, the character has to succeed on a Caster Level check (DC = 10 + the caster level of the spellcaster who first created the magical flames).
Also, the pyromancer can affect 10 feet of fire and can make the fire 'jump' five feet through a square even if no fuel is present (but the target location must still have fuel).
Lastly, the pyromancer can now instantaneously relight any extinguished flames within the cube.

High Pyromancer (Su): the character reaches the pinnacle of the pyromancy art, and gains a number of tricks:
• Pyromancer's Glee: three times per day , as a swift action, the pyromancer can cause all unattended flammable objects within 60 feet to burst in to flames as a supernatural ability. Unattended magic objects get a save.
If the object is large, such as a building, only the parts within range are effected (though the rest my burn normally). Anyone within five feet of an affected object of at least medium size (and weighing at least ten pounds) takes 1d6 fire damage (Fort half) per class level, per object. Note that a single object is only counted once, so for example a building is counted as one object and not ''4 walls, 2 doors, floor, and ceiling.''
Also, each round of this effect the caster can choose one unattended flammable object, weighing up to 10 pounds per class level, to be destroyed as per the spell shatter.
• Creatures with Fire immunity suffers half damage from the pyromancer's Fire energy instead of ignoring it.
• The pyromancer gains Fire immunity herself.
• Creatures with the [Cold] subtype suffers x2 damage from the pyromancer's Fire spells instead of the normal x1.5 damage.

Darth Ultron
2017-02-16, 09:01 PM
Flame Mantle is ok, but maybe make it more like ''is covered in flames'' And has a effect like a continuous Prestidigitation cantrip, but only for fire or heat effects. This allows the Pyromancer to, for example, light a candle at will. Something that they sure should be able to do....

Scorching Flames: The metamagic feat Searing Spell might work better here.

Energy Substitution (Su) Really this should just be a Prerequisite. Few fire based spellcasters would not take the feat, after all.

What 2nd level needs is Control Flames(Su):You choose nonmagical flame that you can see within 60 feet and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You affect it in one of the following ways:
• You instantaneously expand the flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
• You instantaneously extinguish the flames within the cube.
• You double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame, change its color, or both. The change lasts for 1 hour.
• You cause simple shapes—such as the vague form of a creature, an inanimate object, or a location—to appear within the flames and animate as you like. The shapes last for 1 hour.

Mercurial Flames...sort of feels wrong to trump the evasion ability. Evasion is not ''that'' big a deal. Any good Pyromancer has plenty of No Save fire spells.

Persistent Fire (Su)..so at like 10th level a pyromancer would do 1d6 of fire damage for four rounds? Wow...not so great.

High Pyromancer..eh evasion again, fire immunity is ok....but could have more effects.

It does depend what you want from a pyromancer....It's say prestidigitation/control flames is a must, maybe even an improved control flame that can control magical fire.

Add something like ''fire storm'' where the Pyro can fuel and enhance all fires around them

Add some ''fiery explosions'' where the Pyro can blow stuff up.

CinuzIta
2017-02-17, 06:53 AM
1. Flame Mantle is ok, but maybe make it more like ''is covered in flames'' And has a effect like a continuous Prestidigitation cantrip, but only for fire or heat effects. This allows the Pyromancer to, for example, light a candle at will. Something that they sure should be able to do....

2. Scorching Flames: The metamagic feat Searing Spell might work better here.

3. Energy Substitution (Su) Really this should just be a Prerequisite. Few fire based spellcasters would not take the feat, after all.

What 2nd level needs is Control Flames(Su):You choose nonmagical flame that you can see within 60 feet and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You affect it in one of the following ways:
• You instantaneously expand the flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
• You instantaneously extinguish the flames within the cube.
• You double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame, change its color, or both. The change lasts for 1 hour.
• You cause simple shapes—such as the vague form of a creature, an inanimate object, or a location—to appear within the flames and animate as you like. The shapes last for 1 hour.

4. Mercurial Flames...sort of feels wrong to trump the evasion ability. Evasion is not ''that'' big a deal. Any good Pyromancer has plenty of No Save fire spells.

5. Persistent Fire (Su)..so at like 10th level a pyromancer would do 1d6 of fire damage for four rounds? Wow...not so great.

6. High Pyromancer..eh evasion again, fire immunity is ok....but could have more effects.

7. It does depend what you want from a pyromancer....It's say prestidigitation/control flames is a must, maybe even an improved control flame that can control magical fire.

Add something like ''fire storm'' where the Pyro can fuel and enhance all fires around them

Add some ''fiery explosions'' where the Pyro can blow stuff up.

Thank you very much for the answer! Now:

1. Mmmh, maybe I should change name as this one is really misleading! Maybe something like Son of Flames would fit better as I didn't had anything like "covered in flames" in mind when I thought of that ability! Good point on the prestidigitation anyway, this is really the kind of thing I was looking after when I asked for help!

2. Yep, maybe it would, but the searing spell feat requires the caster to use a spell slot one level higher than usual. I think a pyromancer should be able to create enough "fire power" by herself without the need to burn higher level spells. I could add the double damage to cold subtype at 5th level. Along with the "half damage to fire immune creatures" part, this would also reward a player for staying in the prc until the end.

3. Yes, yes, yes! This is the kind of cheese I wanted on the class. Also, good point on the prerequisite.

4. Mmmh, from what I've seen around evasion seems to be the biggest problem for blasters when it come to combat. Anyway, I think is a useful ability afterall. Better have it than not, right? Or do you have any better idea?

5. I know, that was some kind of placeholder to be honest! I'm trying to figure out a better ability without going with the bonus feat route.

6. Adding double damage to cold enemies would do? Also, what about expanding the Contro Flames ability you proposed and make it work on magical fire as well?

7. As I've written in 6. I like the idea of expanding Control Flames. Anyway, I think a caster already have plenty of ways to blow stuff up via her spells so I'm not very inclined to make a special ability only for that. :s

EDIT - after editing the class I'm far more happy with it, so thank you for the help!

EDIT2 - mmh, on a second thought you're idea about being covered in flames is not that bad....maybe I could add somewhere something like this: "when casting spells with the Fire descriptor the pyromancer gets wrapped in flames, dealing 1d6 fire damage per spell level to all adjacent creatures, including allies."
Thoughts on this?

EDIT3 - I think I'll edit the prerequisites so that it require an higher level to take the first level in the class

neriractor
2017-02-17, 06:41 PM
pretty cool class, I´ll see if I can think something defensive or out of combat for it, but for now I´ll tell you Control Flames(Su) is got no action, so it defaults to standard, so unless you want it to be a standard action you should add something there (I see as more of a swift or free action).

Bookmarked, if you don´t mind me using it sometime :smallbiggrin:

Kaskus
2017-02-17, 07:45 PM
Control Flames(Su): at 2nd level, the pyromancer choose nonmagical flame that she can see within 60 feet and that fits within a 5-foot cube. She can affect it in one of the following ways:
• She can instantaneously expand the flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
• She can instantaneously extinguish the flames within the cube.
• She can double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame, change its color, or both. The change lasts for 1 hour.
• She can cause simple shapes—such as the vague form of a creature, an inanimate object, or a location—to appear within the flames and animate as she likes. The shapes last for 1 hour.

A Couple of clarification questions.
1. Can this ability be used on part of a larger fire? ie. Can i expand a 5-ft portion of a 20-ft line of flame to make it a 25-ft line of fire? From my initial reading, i expect this is not the case and that this only works on a fire, the entirety of which fits within a 5-ft square.
2. If the answer to the above question is no as I expect, expanding the flame would render it unable to be affected by further uses of this ability. Is that intentional? You might add the ability to reduce the size of a larger fire as well so that if it is a little too big, you can reduce it and then use the other abilities on it.

Mercurial Flames (Su): starting at 3rd level any spell with the Fire descriptor cast by the pyromancer that allows a Reflex saving throw ignores the Evasion special ability; this means that a character with the evasion special ability that has success on a Reflex saving throw only halven the damage from the spell instead of completely ignore it.

I have mixed feelings on this. I think if used by a player against a monster its fine as it lets the player shine but if this was used by an NPC on a PC with Evasion, it would be a bummer. Rogues get evasion as a class feature. Generally any ability that negates a class feature is a bummer. Perhaps you might consider a minimum damage mechanic or some such. Something like "Any effect that would reduce the amount of damage taken from a fire effect caused by the Pyromancer, reduces the damage by Cha Mod less." The language isn't great on that but you get the idea.

Everything else looks pretty good and like that this is a fairly simple approach to the concept. Good job.

Darth Ultron
2017-02-18, 02:49 AM
2. Yep, maybe it would, but the searing spell feat requires the caster to use a spell slot one level higher than usual. I think a pyromancer should be able to create enough "fire power" by herself without the need to burn higher level spells. I could add the double damage to cold subtype at 5th level. Along with the "half damage to fire immune creatures" part, this would also reward a player for staying in the prc until the end.

4. Mmmh, from what I've seen around evasion seems to be the biggest problem for blasters when it come to combat. Anyway, I think is a useful ability afterall. Better have it than not, right? Or do you have any better idea?

Any 'blaster' that thinks evasion is some sort of problem is not a very good blaster. And if you do fall for what ''they say'', you might note ''they'' say ''doing damage is the worst thing a wizard can do''.

Improved Control Flames (Su):

Don't forget to add:

*Can effect 10 feet of fire and can make the fire 'jump' five feet even if no fuel is present(but the target location must still have fuel)
*Can instantaneously relight any extinguished the flames within the cube.

7. As I've written in 6. I like the idea of expanding Control Flames. Anyway, I think a caster already have plenty of ways to blow stuff up via her spells so I'm not very inclined to make a special ability only for that. :s

Except they don't. Trust me, you'd play the as written ''pyromancer '' , cast a couple of fire spells and be like ''wow, it's just a wizard with fire spells...so exciting.''

It can use Pyromancers Glee:

(Su) one per day per class level , as a swift action, the pyromancer can cause all unattended flammable objects with in 60 feet to burst in to flames. Unattended magic objects get a save. If the object is large, such as a building, only the parts within range are effected(though the rest my burn normally). Anyone with in five feet of an effected object of at least medium size takes 1d6 fire damage (reflex neg) per class level, per object. Note a single object is only counted once, so for example a building is counted as one object and not ''4 walls, 2 doors, floor, and ceiling.'' Also, each round of this effect the caster can choose one unattended flammable object, weighing up to 10 pounds per class level, to be destroyed as per the spell shatter.

1. Can this ability be used on part of a larger fire?

Well, the ability has to effect parts of large fires or it would be useless. Effecting only a fire that is only all contained within a fire foot square is like saying ''this ability can effect one fireplace or campfire. '' But a Pyromancer should be able to, for example, spread flames from a burning barn, just in five foot sections at a time....so they can burn down a barn.

And there is no reason to diminish any flames or make a 'trail of fire' each time. Like say you had a 20 foot long wall. You start the first 5' on fire, then use control flames over a couple rounds to catch the other 15' on fire.

I have mixed feelings on this. I think if used by a player against a monster its fine as it lets the player shine but if this was used by an NPC on a PC with Evasion, it would be a bummer. Rogues get evasion as a class feature. Generally any ability that negates a class feature is a bummer. Perhaps you might consider a minimum damage mechanic or some such..

I don't like this either. And it is a very unnecessary ability. Sneaky type foes are only like 1/4 of the foes in the world and evasion is really not a big deal. They can 'dodge' a fireball? Wow...well, guess what they can't dodge and evade like dozens of other fire spells.

CinuzIta
2017-02-18, 06:59 AM
pretty cool class, I´ll see if I can think something defensive or out of combat for it, but for now I´ll tell you Control Flames(Su) is got no action, so it defaults to standard, so unless you want it to be a standard action you should add something there (I see as more of a swift or free action).

Bookmarked, if you don´t mind me using it sometime :smallbiggrin:

Be my guest, I don't mind at all! :)
Also standard action is good for control flames! I'll specify it in the special ability's entry for clarity's sakes.

1. Can this ability be used on part of a larger fire? ie. Can i expand a 5-ft portion of a 20-ft line of flame to make it a 25-ft line of fire? From my initial reading, i expect this is not the case and that this only works on a fire, the entirety of which fits within a 5-ft square.

2. If the answer to the above question is no as I expect, expanding the flame would render it unable to be affected by further uses of this ability. Is that intentional? You might add the ability to reduce the size of a larger fire as well so that if it is a little too big, you can reduce it and then use the other abilities on it.

3. I have mixed feelings on this. I think if used by a player against a monster its fine as it lets the player shine but if this was used by an NPC on a PC with Evasion, it would be a bummer. Rogues get evasion as a class feature. Generally any ability that negates a class feature is a bummer. Perhaps you might consider a minimum damage mechanic or some such. Something like "Any effect that would reduce the amount of damage taken from a fire effect caused by the Pyromancer, reduces the damage by Cha Mod less." The language isn't great on that but you get the idea.

Everything else looks pretty good and like that this is a fairly simple approach to the concept. Good job.

1. Well, frankly I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use the ability on a portion of a bigger fire. I didn't specified it on the ability's entry cause I found it to be quite clear. Should I specify it?

2.Well, the answer was yes so... :smallbiggrin:

3. Mmh, yes I get what you mean even tough, to be honest, when situations like this happens I (and my plaers, or my parties) have always seen things like this to be a challenge rather then a bummer. But, I understand that a lot of people might not see it the same way.
I could change it to another mechanic. What about this?

Mercurial Flames (Su): starting at 3rd level any spell with the Fire descriptor cast by the pyromancer that allows a Reflex saving throw are just partially subject to effects that would completely negate the spell damage instead of halving it; a creature that succeed on a Reflex saving throw that would normally ignore the damage, suffers fire damage equal to the level of the spell the pyromancer's just casted per her class level instead of completely ignoring it. This special ability applies on effects and abilities similar to evasion. If the targeted creature also has fire resistance first calculate the fire damage from mercurial flames, then apply the pyromancer's Scorching Flames special ability.

This would inflict 45 fire damage at its best, if the pyro's enemy succeed against a 9th level spell! Does it seems any better? It looks a bit convoluted maybe?

1. Any 'blaster' that thinks evasion is some sort of problem is not a very good blaster. And if you do fall for what ''they say'', you might note ''they'' say ''doing damage is the worst thing a wizard can do''.

2. Don't forget to add:

*Can effect 10 feet of fire and can make the fire 'jump' five feet even if no fuel is present(but the target location must still have fuel)
*Can instantaneously relight any extinguished the flames within the cube.

3. Except they don't. Trust me, you'd play the as written ''pyromancer '' , cast a couple of fire spells and be like ''wow, it's just a wizard with fire spells...so exciting.''

It can use Pyromancers Glee:

(Su) one per day per class level , as a swift action, the pyromancer can cause all unattended flammable objects with in 60 feet to burst in to flames. Unattended magic objects get a save. If the object is large, such as a building, only the parts within range are effected(though the rest my burn normally). Anyone with in five feet of an effected object of at least medium size takes 1d6 fire damage (reflex neg) per class level, per object. Note a single object is only counted once, so for example a building is counted as one object and not ''4 walls, 2 doors, floor, and ceiling.'' Also, each round of this effect the caster can choose one unattended flammable object, weighing up to 10 pounds per class level, to be destroyed as per the spell shatter.

4. I don't like this either. And it is a very unnecessary ability. Sneaky type foes are only like 1/4 of the foes in the world and evasion is really not a big deal. They can 'dodge' a fireball? Wow...well, guess what they can't dodge and evade like dozens of other fire spells.

1. Touchè. Is the new Mercurial flames ability I just described any better?

2. Mmh, not sure what you mean on the first part: you first say that the fire can move 5ft even if no fuel is present and then you say that fuel must be provided so that the fire can affect the new target..? It might just be me being tired, care to explain a bit better please?
I'm okay with relighting extinguished flames.

3. Mmh, okay. I like pyromancer's glee even tough i find it to be a bit "complicated" maybe (you have to keep track of every object in a room and calculate distances and damages for each of them, then pcs and npc gets a saving throw for each object...oh, and the objects gets saving throws too, right?)...not saying is not good, I want this to be clear, I'm just saying it might be quite time consuming.
Also I'd scale it down to 3/day.

4. Is the new mercurial flame any better?

Kaskus
2017-02-18, 11:19 AM
Mercurial Flames (Su): starting at 3rd level any spell with the Fire descriptor cast by the pyromancer that allows a Reflex saving throw are just partially subject to effects that would completely negate the spell damage instead of halving it; a creature that succeed on a Reflex saving throw that would normally ignore the damage, suffers fire damage equal to the level of the spell the pyromancer's just casted per her class level instead of completely ignoring it. This special ability applies on effects and abilities similar to evasion. If the targeted creature also has fire resistance first calculate the fire damage from mercurial flames, then apply the pyromancer's Scorching Flames special ability.

This would inflict 45 fire damage at its best, if the pyro's enemy succeed against a 9th level spell! Does it seems any better? It looks a bit convoluted maybe?

Lets look at Meteor Swarm (lvl 9 fire spell). It does (up to) 24d6 fire damage assuming one creature is affected by all 4 spheres. Thats an average damage of 84 (min 24, max 144). Save for half would result in 42 damage (min 12, max 77). Mercurial would mitigate low rolls on damage, add just a couple points for average damage and not be applicable to max damage. I think thats fine.

If you aim each sphere at a separate target, you are looking at 6d6 damage each (min 6, avg 21, max 36) so Mercurial would trump even the maximum damage. Therefore, you may want to add a cap to it. You are right that it is a bit convoluted in its wording as well. How about something like...

A Pyromancer's fire spells deal minimum damage equal to the spell's level multiplied by the Pyromancer's class level but no more than the spells maximum damage. Any ability that would reduce the damage dealt by one of the Pyromancer's fire spells to less than the minimum, instead reduces it to the minimum.

Darth Ultron
2017-02-18, 04:12 PM
2. Mmh, not sure what you mean on the first part: you first say that the fire can move 5ft even if no fuel is present and then you say that fuel must be provided so that the fire can affect the new target..? It might just be me being tired, care to explain a bit better please?
I'm okay with relighting extinguished flames.

The base ability only allows you to move a fire along things that can fuel it. For example a wooden wall, you could make each five foot section of the wooden wall catch fire. But if a wooden wagon was say three feet from the burning wooden wall you could not effect it as there is no fuel between the two objects. This lets the fire jump through the air.

3. Mmh, okay. I like pyromancer's glee even tough i find it to be a bit "complicated" maybe (you have to keep track of every object in a room and calculate distances and damages for each of them, then pcs and npc gets a saving throw for each object...oh, and the objects gets saving throws too, right?)...not saying is not good, I want this to be clear, I'm just saying it might be quite time consuming.
Also I'd scale it down to 3/day.

Normal objects get no save, just magical ones. This sort of thing does work better with a battle map. Most of the time, most creatures won't be in range of more then three medium sized or larger objects. Though I think adding some weight limit is a good idea like a ''wooden object of medium size weighing at least ten pounds.'' So you don't get ''I blow up the dinning room and that is one table and eight chairs so 5d6 x 8 Hoody Hoo!''.

4. Is the new mercurial flame any better?

Well, it's just rewarding ''I don't like evasion and I'm making a special rule to get rid of it. ''

Take or 20th level fire mage. Yes a 20th level character with evasion can just walk away from a meteor swarm. But it's a good thing the fire mage has other spells. They could summon a fire elemental or any other fire type creature for example...or use a fire spell with no reflex save. Like say a maximized scorching ray...three rays of 24 damage(72 total) and ignores Evasion.

And what about spell resistance? Why not make your ability ignore that? Or just ignore all saving throws?

CinuzIta
2017-02-20, 06:32 AM
The base ability only allows you to move a fire along things that can fuel it. For example a wooden wall, you could make each five foot section of the wooden wall catch fire. But if a wooden wagon was say three feet from the burning wooden wall you could not effect it as there is no fuel between the two objects. This lets the fire jump through the air.

Normal objects get no save, just magical ones. This sort of thing does work better with a battle map. Most of the time, most creatures won't be in range of more then three medium sized or larger objects. Though I think adding some weight limit is a good idea like a ''wooden object of medium size weighing at least ten pounds.'' So you don't get ''I blow up the dinning room and that is one table and eight chairs so 5d6 x 8 Hoody Hoo!''.

I don't know about the fire "jumping", I think I'll leave it as it is!

Mmh, yes I can something like that for Pyromancer's glee even tough I don't like dabbling with weights that much! I think I'll just leave it as "any physical object of medium size blow up etc etc"

Well, it's just rewarding ''I don't like evasion and I'm making a special rule to get rid of it. ''

Take or 20th level fire mage. Yes a 20th level character with evasion can just walk away from a meteor swarm. But it's a good thing the fire mage has other spells. They could summon a fire elemental or any other fire type creature for example...or use a fire spell with no reflex save. Like say a maximized scorching ray...three rays of 24 damage(72 total) and ignores Evasion.

And what about spell resistance? Why not make your ability ignore that? Or just ignore all saving throws?

Lets look at Meteor Swarm (lvl 9 fire spell). It does (up to) 24d6 fire damage assuming one creature is affected by all 4 spheres. Thats an average damage of 84 (min 24, max 144). Save for half would result in 42 damage (min 12, max 77). Mercurial would mitigate low rolls on damage, add just a couple points for average damage and not be applicable to max damage. I think thats fine.

If you aim each sphere at a separate target, you are looking at 6d6 damage each (min 6, avg 21, max 36) so Mercurial would trump even the maximum damage. Therefore, you may want to add a cap to it. You are right that it is a bit convoluted in its wording as well. How about something like...

A Pyromancer's fire spells deal minimum damage equal to the spell's level multiplied by the Pyromancer's class level but no more than the spells maximum damage. Any ability that would reduce the damage dealt by one of the Pyromancer's fire spells to less than the minimum, instead reduces it to the minimum.

Wait wait wait wait, what if mercurial flames was something like this:

"Any spell with the fire descriptor force the target to make two Reflex saves and take the worst result"?

I think is simple and, well, elegant enough! Like the 5e disadvantage rule (if I understood correctly, never played 5e, nor read the rules)

Darth Ultron
2017-02-20, 07:36 AM
I don't know about the fire "jumping", I think I'll leave it as it is!

Mmh, yes I can something like that for Pyromancer's glee even tough I don't like dabbling with weights that much! I think I'll just leave it as "any physical object of medium size blow up etc etc"

Well, as written the ability could not make a wooden table on a stone floor that was all of two feet away from a burring wood chair catch fire(as the stone floor and 'air' would not count as fuel). So this lets the Pyromancer let the fire ''telekinetically'' jump even if there is no fuel between the objects.

Wait wait wait wait, what if mercurial flames was something like this:

"Any spell with the fire descriptor force the target to make two Reflex saves and take the worst result"?

I think is simple and, well, elegant enough!

It's better....and it does work. Though it might not work as good as you'd want, as a person with evasion will likely just make too good rolls (''oh, I gotta take the worse roll...ok, so the 45, did I make my save?)

What you really...really..want here is Unavoidable Flames(SU) The Pyromancer's flames are alive with a strange desire to burn things and can not be avoided. Everything will feel the burn of her fire, but may still resist the burn. Any Fire spell she casts with a Reflex save, instead has that save changed to a Fortitude save.

This negates Evasion and Reflex saves.

CinuzIta
2017-02-20, 08:10 AM
What you really...really..want here is Unavoidable Flames(SU) The Pyromancer's flames are alive with a strange desire to burn things and can not be avoided. Everything will feel the burn of her fire, but may still resist the burn. Any Fire spell she casts with a Reflex save, instead has that save changed to a Fortitude save.

This negates Evasion and Reflex saves.

Savage.

Tough the problem will be mettle instead of evasion. But since mettle is far more rarer than evasion I suppose it's okay.

Anyway, as soon as I get my hands on a pc I'll put down the final version of the pyro with Unavoidable flames and Pyromancer's glee.

Thanks to everyone!

CinuzIta
2017-02-25, 06:02 AM
Updated the first post with what I hope to be the final version of the class!

Still open to suggestions for further improvements though. :)

Kaskus
2017-02-25, 03:04 PM

Nothing constructive here but I wanted to say that this is my favorite part of the class. I love when little flavor elements or elements with flavor potential are included. I could see a rich merchant or king having a hired pyromancer as entertainment utilizing this ability. It could also be used during a strategy planning session to create scenes of a battlefield or map.

CinuzIta
2017-02-25, 07:51 PM
Nothing constructive here but I wanted to say that this is my favorite part of the class. I love when little flavor elements or elements with flavor potential are included. I could see a rich merchant or king having a hired pyromancer as entertainment utilizing this ability. It could also be used during a strategy planning session to create scenes of a battlefield or map.

I love these things as well! I really have to thank Darth Ultron for the help (s)he provided!:)