PDA

View Full Version : Building a Warlord in 5e

Sans.
2017-02-16, 05:36 PM
I want to play something that helps, buffs and commands the rest of the party, similarly to the 4e Warlord (which I don't actually know too much about). Everything but UA is OK. Flavor over optimisation please. Battle Master is practically mandatory, as is Martial Adept. I'm thinking Bard as the 'core' class, but am open to suggestions.

Desamir
2017-02-16, 06:02 PM
There is a Fighter subclass in the SCAG called the Banneret/Purple Dragon Knight that is somewhat Warlord-inspired, it might be worth a look as an alternative to Battlemaster.

Deleted
2017-02-16, 06:09 PM
Don't use the Fighter, it is a "spit in the mouth/10" rating for Warlord... Especially if you are basing your thoughts on e.

Go Strength Based Valor Bard and at level 4 grab heavy armor. That's the best you are getting sadly.

At 8 you can boost Str to 18 or Cha to 16 but you could grab Shield Master.

Sans.
2017-02-16, 06:16 PM
There is a Fighter subclass in the SCAG called the Banneret/Purple Dragon Knight that is somewhat Warlord-inspired, it might be worth a look as an alternative to Battlemaster.

I've checked it. It seems... underwhelming. Rallying Cry is just some mass healing, which doesn't scale well, once per rest at level 3. At level 7, Royal Envoy gives you one skill that doesn't have anything to do with combat. Inspiring Surge is a fairly good ability at level 10 - but only once per rest again. The level 15 ability, Bulwark, is only usable 1-3 times per long rest, but that doesn't matter because it is incredibly situational.

Vanderhaust
2017-02-16, 06:53 PM
I tried to build a Warlord type character using Battlemaster

my plan:

1. Get a decent charisma score
2. Get the Inspiring Leader Feat and give rousing speeches before battle (temp HP)
3. Get the Rally maneuver and have a way to grant temp HP through a bonus action
4. Get Magic Initiate Cleric for spare the dying, guidance, and bless. RP them as motivational speeches rather than boring spells.i.e. "You can do this, focus!" or "On your feet soldier, the fight isn't over!" etc etc.

I have no idea how effective it would be just some random theory crafting I did once

King539
2017-02-16, 09:15 PM
Paladin/Valor Bard.

Deleted
2017-02-16, 09:29 PM
Paladin/Bard is the easiest way to do this.

Actually, you could just go Paladin and take the Inspirational Leader Feat (whatever its name is).

The only problem is that Warlords abilities are primarily martial and Paladin/Bard use magic :/

Man, the 4e Warlord was awesome.

Arkhios
2017-02-17, 04:43 AM
I've made a warlord homebrew. You can find a link to the class in my signature, if you want to have a look.

You said everything but UA is ok, so there's my homebrew. :smallamused:

Citan
2017-02-17, 12:31 PM
I want to play something that helps, buffs and commands the rest of the party, similarly to the 4e Warlord (which I don't actually know too much about). Everything but UA is OK. Flavor over optimisation please. Battle Master is practically mandatory, as is Martial Adept. I'm thinking Bard as the 'core' class, but am open to suggestions.

Hi!

You have several ways to go at it!
Because repeating oneself is useless, please confer to this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21385339&postcount=6) for some ideas. ;)
I'm around if you have any critics/questions.

Have fun!

Sception
2017-02-17, 12:40 PM
Sadly there is no direct translation of 4e warlord into 5e, especially when it comes to abilities that sacrifice your actions to let your allies do something extra. If you want a buffy melee guy, as mentioned already you could go with bard or paladin or some multiclass of the two, but if you want that captain's-chair feel of a quality 4e lazylord build, there's just nothing there.