PDA

View Full Version : What ways can you boost base saves, for early class/feat entry?

Pinkie Pyro
2017-02-16, 06:31 PM
As the title says, are there any way to boost base saves, specifically reflex saves, even temporarily, so that one may enter a class dependent on such saves earlier than intended?

I personally looked into bonus hit die, but those don't seem to grant any good saves, so you'd need a high amount of them before they were effective.

Someguy231
2017-02-16, 07:11 PM
First level of Warblade allows you to add your INT mod to Reflex saves, and the Paladin adds his CHA mod to all saves at lvl 2... Those are from class features as early as possible, and from what I can guess from the Top of my head.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-16, 07:13 PM
First level of Warblade allows you to add your INT mod to Reflex saves, and the Paladin adds his CHA mod to all saves at lvl 2... Those are from class features as early as possible, and from what I can guess from the Top of my head.
Those don't boost base saves, so they won't help early entry.

As for ways to boost base saves: only taking more levels/getting more HD will do it. You could use a way to get some temporary HD, such as contracting lycanthropy, qualifying (with your new animal HD), and then getting cured.

Dagroth
2017-02-16, 07:16 PM

I don't believe those boost "base save".

Best bet... dip a level of Rogue & a level of Scout. That's +4 Reflex Save right there. Plus situational damage increases. You tumble 10' to get into a flanking position and you're doing an extra 2d6 damage that round.

Someguy231
2017-02-16, 07:28 PM
Oh crap. I missed the detail on Base saves. Yeah, the only way to boost those are to level up, and/or multiclass into something with good Reflex saves to have the two saves stack.

Vaz
2017-02-16, 09:15 PM
What class do you nedd? Most usual one that comes up is Ur Priest to which Dragon Shaman is a good dip for one or two levels; both Saves needed get a +2, or +3 and a Skill Focus which may help with later class qualification.

tiercel
2017-02-17, 02:26 AM
Rogue 1 / Scout 1 / Ranger 1 / Monk 1 / Swordsage 1 gives you base Reflex +10 but only BAB +1 at 5th level.

Some kind of multiclassing shenanigans is what you're looking at for base save boosting, as others have said.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-17, 02:34 AM
As mentioned, lycanthropy is your best bet. Animals also have good Reflex saves, which is a bonus in your situation.

Troacctid
2017-02-17, 02:43 AM
Lycanthropy-style tricks are the only way that I'm aware of.

Gusmo
2017-02-17, 04:47 AM
In Heroes of Horror, there's the dusk giant. Polymorphing into it gets you up to 24 hit dice, which is probably more than enough to hit whatever base save mark you need. The catch is you need to figure out how to be polymorphed into one when you level up.

The Viscount
2017-02-17, 04:35 PM
A Bard with inspire greatness will grant you 2 extra HD, but it's not super clear on what those mean for saves.