PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 5th moon druid, resilient:con or Alert first @4?

Tetrasodium
2017-02-16, 10:26 PM
A l e r t
Always on the lookout for danger, you gain the
following benefits:
• You gain a +5 bonus to initiative.
• You can’t be surprised while you are conscious.
• Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls
against you as a result of being hidden from you.
R e s i l i e n t
Choose one ability score. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase the chosen ability score by 1, to a maximum
of 20.
• You gain proficiency in saving throws using the chosen ability.
Kobold moon druid with 14 con (so no extra hp except a few beast forms) coming up on 4 & trying to decide between Alertness or Resilent:con; but I was hoping to get some opinions on it. Party makeup is myself, a wizard of some form, drow(?) paladin, and maybe a kenku rogue playing adventure league games going from the current lost mines opf phandelvar(sp?) into skt

Both are solid choices, but I'm not sure how I want to lean. Resilient would mean that I'm a lot better equipped to make con saves to keep up things like barkskin/entangle/etc; but alertness means that I'm more likely to be ready to roll & able to cast some BC spell or jump into the fray before it can move towards the squishier group members.
edit:typo

djreynolds
2017-02-17, 12:11 AM
What are all your stats?

Do you have an odd stat elsewhere, because now you will have a 15 with taking resilient con. So see if your DM will allow you to make that a 13 and place 2 points elsewhere

Tetrasodium
2017-02-17, 12:23 AM
What are all your stats?

Do you have an odd stat elsewhere, because now you will have a 15 with taking resilient con. So see if your DM will allow you to make that a 13 and place 2 points elsewhere

6/12/14/12/15/13. wildshape makes the strength irrelevant. Resilient only adds +1 & adds it to that stat you are proficient in saving throws on. I'm already proficient on wis/int saving throws as a druid. Taking the +2 stat instead of a feat would be a terribad idea given how much better feats are & the fact that wildshape replaces most of my stats.
Taking resilient:con isn't for the +1 con in kobold form, or even the beast forms that will get a few extra hp. It's for the extra +2 to +6 to constitution saves including the concentration ones needed to do things like maintain a 16 AC barkskin spell on an otherwise 11ac bear

Cespenar
2017-02-17, 12:55 AM
Get Resilient. It's pretty good.

Also, for Concentration spells, think Entangle, Spike Stones or especially Conjure Animals instead of Barkskin. To quote Confucius: Being a 16 AC bear is good, but having eight badgers around you is better. :smalltongue:

djreynolds
2017-02-17, 01:03 AM
6/12/14/12/15/13. wildshape makes the strength irrelevant. Resilient only adds +1 & adds it to that stat you are proficient in saving throws on. I'm already proficient on wis/int saving throws as a druid. Taking the +2 stat instead of a feat would be a terribad idea given how much better feats are & the fact that wildshape replaces most of my stats.
Taking resilient:con isn't for the +1 con in kobold form, or even the beast forms that will get a few extra hp. It's for the extra +2 to +6 to constitution saves including the concentration ones needed to do things like maintain a 16 AC barkskin spell on an otherwise 11ac bear

As long as you can live with an odd stat go for it. I can't... I think that is OCD

Also since you will be slugging it out in melee, war caster isn't a terrible option... it gives advantage on concentration checks.

As with most casters... I use both war caster and resilient con.

And don't worry about barkskin please... cast moonbeam and you can use this while you are in beast form as it is concentration and you can just move it around with your bonus action

Very cool build