PDA

View Full Version : Intro - Captured by the Drow - TomaFox

tomafox
2017-02-17, 12:12 AM
https://az801518.vo.msecnd.net/banners/9506bc10ce8476e8b5f4b897c3270036

Captured by the drowl You wouldn't wish this fate upon anyone, yet here you are - locked in a dark cave, the cold, heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone. Other prisoners are trapped in here with you, In an underground outpost far from the light of the sun.
Your captors include a cruel drow priestess who calls herself Mistress llvara of House Mizzrym.

Over the past several days, you've met her several times, robed in silken garments and flanked by two male drow, one of whom has a mass of scars along one side of his~face and neck.
Mistress llvara likes to impress her will with scourge in hand and remind you that your life now belongs to her. ''Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you may survive.''

Her words echo in your memory, even as you plot your escape.

Some things to consider before we start:

- All prisoners, you included, wear iron slave collars along with manacles connected to iron belts by a short length of chain. This leaves you restrained, but doesn't affect your normal movement or speed;

- In addition to being manacled, spellcasters don't have any components or focuses. Wizards don't need their spellbooks to cast spells, but are limited to their prepared spells for now. Even so, spellcasting isn't possible inside the slave pen, where they keep prisoners when they're not working;

- The drow divide their prisoners into three roughly equal-sized groups and put them to work for a third of the day, supervised by some humanoid beasts. Your menial tasks include filling and hauling water barrels, operating a lift, cleaning, food preparation and service, washing dishes, laundry, moving or stacking rocks, coiling ropes or organizing supplies;

- You'll begin this adventure inside the slave pen, stripped of everything but your underclothing, at the mercy of the drow and in the company of several other prisoners, whom I'll describe in the next post;

- The slave pen is closed with a heavy iron gate bolted into the stone;

- All prisoners are provided with clay chamber pots and one of the duties of slaves is to empty it into a pool, outside, during their shift. There are no other comforts. Prisoners must sit or lie on the stone floor, and are fed only once each day - a thin mushroom broth served in small clay bowls passed through the gaps in the bars of the gate.

tomafox
2017-02-18, 07:20 AM
Fellow prisoners

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cmmVLz1mXVY/VoKJx2GvDII/AAAAAAAAFig/qXndDDZa-2Q/s1600/buppido.jpg
This creature resembles a small dwarf, with blue-gray skin, white hair, and white eyes, no iris or pupil.
Comparing to the others, it doesn't seem too much upset about being held here.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69969&cid=24&thumb=1&stc=1
The most menacing-looking prisoner here. You've seen a creature like this before. Humanoid beasts - the quaggoth. The drow keep several of them as slaves.

https://melsmifgames.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/stool.png
A mushroom with legs?

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/davidewalt/files/2015/08/topsy-and-turvy.jpg
Deep gnome twins. One is a male, the other is a female. They tend to nervously stick to each other.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/126386/assets/547588/Shuushar_s.jpg?1453209568
A fish-like big humanoid. It surprisingly irradiates a peaceful and calm presence.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72298&d=1449538686
Another deep gnome. This one seems a lot more relaxed than the twins.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3135727/Sarith-Zekarit-1-2.jpg
A drow. There's something wrong with his face and he seems to be sick.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dHL6vZ4Xw7w/VjE4RaHh7RI/AAAAAAAACp8/78uqjeIQv2c/s1600/Ront.PNG
An anxious and angry orc. You believe he might snap at any moment.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/3135613/images__1_.jpg
A female dwarf, embarassed and uncomfortable.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-18, 11:05 AM
Sorrak Slatebreaker (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=612809)

Near one wall sits a beaten and bruised dwarf wearing naught but his underwear and a mat of dirty auburn hair. Any who have, unfortunately, been in this hell hole longer than him would know he's spent the better part of a week among them. He shifts slightly and, for probably the hundredth time today, scans the room full of other prisoners, his stern eyes peering from beneath his bushy eyebrows. The wheels of his mind had been turning since he'd been first captured, looking for any opportunity of escape, and now he wonders who among the others might be an asset to that cause. He adjust himself again to get a better look out the iron doors to the space beyond the cell.

First slew of questions:

- Do I recognize the dwarf and has she been here longer or shorter than I have?

- Has anyone tried to escape while I've been here? How did it go?

- Otherwise have there been talks of escape?

- Where are the nearest guards in relation to our cell?

- From my time in the Underdark do I recognize either the blue dwarf creature or the mushroom creature? Know what they are?

Ramsus
2017-02-18, 05:19 PM
Bryn, somewhat close to the drow, looks at him and says in Undercommon <"I've been wondering this for a while. Are you ok?">

Alkerite
2017-02-18, 06:43 PM
Nilhilus, who understood undercommon, and the slightly rarer deep speech well, kept his ear to the ground to see if he could glean anything of worth. During his brief time as a prisoner here, he spent more time trying to converse with their drow captors rather than his fellow prisoners, trying to get a leg up, or more accurately, secure his spellbook, and a more comfortable place to sleep.

stanleyindraven
2017-02-18, 08:11 PM
Groll, a brown dragonborn, lays about casually on the ground. He doesn't look particularly comfortable, but is silent for once from his constant complaints of their working conditions. It has been difficult to tell if he is being serious or is just trying to keep the mood light. He watches the others and keeps an odd grin on his face.

josienoms
2017-02-18, 10:59 PM
Glennan, after her two days in captivity, has her eye on the Orc. She knows the struggle he's going through, and knows that him snapping would bring nothing but trouble to the other captives. She has often struggled with her own destructive instincts, and while she has a handle on them now, she knows how difficult it can be to feel confined and ready to lash out.

She approaches him, calmly and while he can see her coming, to avoid accidentally setting him off by surprising him. She strikes up a conversation in Orcish.

<"You're angry. Good. That rage inside you will be useful when we escape.">

She smirks, trying to display a casual air of confidence.

<"But the time is not yet right. For now, you must pretend to be calm. The Drow will be lured into a false sense of security. They'll be sloppy. Weak. Like all Elves.">

She chuckles at her own joke, trying to play a part that will, she hopes, get the Orc on her side.

<"What's your name, warrior?">

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-19, 03:05 AM

As conversations in various languages begin to strike up once again among the slaves in the chamber with him, Sorrak is once more faced with the realization that he is woefully uneducated. Despite his recent experiences in the Underdark over the past several months, he had been fortunate enough ... though, it seemed more unfortunate considering his current setting ... to have spent most of it among his kin and speaking his native tongue. He wasn't dull by any means, but languages were not particularly a strong suit and he hadn't had the proper immersion to pick up more than a pair of them. Perhaps if someday he were to ever return to Waterdeep...

A growling stomach wretches him from his thoughts. A single bowl of watery stew a day wasn't the sort of sustenance that a dwarf of his stature could survive on ... and that doesn't even factor in the taste. "How long until they feed us more of that ... glorious ... soup?" He asks aloud to no one in particular, keeping his voice low in case the guards were near.

Fishybugs
2017-02-19, 11:05 AM
Spiros Dawncaller (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1113679)

Spiros sits in the corner of the cell with his legs folded beneath him. He listens to the others scuffling around the cage, whispering to one another. Though he understands most of what is being said around him, he keeps his thoughts and his understanding to himself. To the outside world, he appears serene, a calm priest who was wise beyond his years. On closer examination, were there enough light to see, one may notice his hands pressed hard against his thighs to keep them from having slight tremors of fear.

It's so dark, the cleric of light thinks quietly to himself. Have Helm and the light forsaken me?

The light tickling of the spider on his shoulder brings him out of his thoughts as the half-orc speaks of escape. He looks in the direction of her voice, but of course sees nothing in this gods-be-damned darkness. He sits and runs through the calming exercises taught to him as a neophyte, listening to the others over the sounds of their clanking chains.

Alkerite
2017-02-19, 04:41 PM
Nihilus turns his attention, finally, to his fellow prisoners. His interest piqued by the small mushroom with appendages akin to feet. He approaches the small creature, and smiles, introducing himself affably, it's or import to leave a good impression on his 'friends.'
Well hello there, small one, how do you end up here?

2D8HP
2017-02-19, 08:37 PM
Del Brightwood (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=867101)

Oh my head!

Worst

hangover

EVER!

What was in the drink?.

OK, maybe more than one.... dozen!
But things were going so well!!
The audience loved the Cleric of Tyr and the contortionist story, "That's not a belt!" Heh!
The caravan said they could use... one more?

And now this nightmare!!

Smiling Lady, shine your light down here!

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-19, 10:33 PM

"Best to keep your voice down." The dwarven soldier hisses a hushed warning as the half-elf nearby wakes and begins calling out. "The less they're thinking about us, the better." He tells Del with a nod of the head afterward to punctuate his meaning, before turning his gaze outward once again to the rooms beyond the imposing iron bars. It would be easier to escape once released to go about their daily chores... but such would also mean heighten presence from the guards. 'Still, with our numbers, we ought to be able to overpower a guard or two if it came to it. Supposing the the lot of us worked together of course.' He thinks to himself and turns a worried eye on the agitated orc.

2D8HP
2017-02-19, 11:50 PM

See's a regular Dwarf talking rationally to him in this long nightmare instead of some dreamworld impossibility like a walking mushroom, and at the words:

"we ought to be able to overpower a guard or two."

Del considers that this days long nightmare may be a reality he can escape from!

Aye!

tomafox
2017-02-20, 12:02 AM
@Sorrak

At this point, we'll assume you barely talked with any of them, besides first impressions. Any interaction from now on should now be roleplayed and dialogued, and whatnot.

- The female dwarf was already here when they brought you in. The first time you two spoke, the battle of Gauntlgrym came into conversation, and although you didn't particularly remembered her, she remembers you being congratulated by the king, and the exchange confirms the two of you being there.
Eldeth seems to be a very high spirited and proud dwarf, even in captivity. She also suggests Gauntlgrym as the safest exit from the Underdark, if you want to get back to the surface.

- Since you arrived, there was no real attempt to escape. The drow have all of the prisoners completely under control, and any aggressive behavior (and sometimes just for their amusement) are met with poisoned bolts from their crossbows. This poison seems to paralyze its target to some extent.
Talking of escaping has come up, of course, but the only people you could talk to (excluding the other players) were Eldeth and Jimjar, the bald deep gnome.
Ront, the orc, seems to understand Common, but it's not an easy conversation to have. The other prisoners only speak Undercommon, with the exception of the quaggoth, whom you only ever heard talk in Elvish.

- Jimjar has a devil-may-care attitude, and just seems to be postively waiting for an opportunity to outsmart the drow and run away. He seems friendly and smart enough, from what you can muster so far, and would probably roll along with an escape plan.

- Three guards watch the slave pen from a hanging guard tower across a rope bridge, visible through the locked gate.

- The blue dwarf creature is a derro. They are usually considered cruel and dangerous by the other Underdark inhabitants.
(You can roll and History check to remember more about the derro)
- The mushroom is a myconid sprout. Myconids are intelligent, ambulatory fungi that live in the Underdark, seek enlightenment, and deplore violence. If approached peacefully, myconids gladly provide shelter or allow safe passage through their colonies.
(History check and/or Nature check and you may be able to recall more information about the myconid)

@Bryn
As you approach the drow, you notice fungi brothing from his head. He rebuffs your attempt to talk to him, quickly and harshly saying "I'm fine! Worry about yourself, half-blood!", while struggling to keep his posture. He's clearly not fine.

@Nihilus
Keeping an ear on the drow, you managed to gather some information, so far:
- It might be a matter of days before a contingent from Menzoberranzan arrives to take prisoners back to the drow city;
- There are 19 drow at the outpost, including Mistress Ilvara and the other priestess, named Asha, you believe. There are also about a dozen quaggoth slaves and some giant spiders working with them;
- One of the drow warriors, Jorlan, suffered disfigugring injuries recently. You hard some comment that before then, he seemed more in Ilvara's favor. Now another drow, Shoor seems to have displaced him; Jorlan used to have a wand that shot globs of sticky material able to trap targets. Now Shoor carries it, as another sign of their change in status.

The mushroom-like creature instantly jumps back, frightened. It doesn't appear to have anything close to a mouth. You're not sure it can speak, and it doesn't answer your question. It "faces" you in expectation. You sense a mix of fear and curiosity in its posture.

@Groll and Spiros
You've been having strange, intense dreams, Groll for the last 3 days, and Spiros for 2.
Groll, you wander through endless mazes of tunnels, while oily tentacles brush up against you.
Spiros, you suffer wounds out of nowhere, which explode in clouds of spores and crawling masses of maggots.

Everytime, both of you wake up cold and sweating. You feel like there is something out there to get you. Something far worse than the drow.

@Glennan
Surprisingly, the orc stops his tantrum and turns shy as you approach him. He's still obviously anxious and upset, but not acting aggressively towards you, in particular. Even in Orcish, he doesn't strike you as the smart type.
"Escape? How? No hope. I deserve this. Grummsh's punishment for cowardice... Name is Ront, from Iceshield tribe. What's yours, shiny lady?"

@Del
The bald deep gnome, Jimjar his name, and he does speak fluent Common, has been trying to bond with you for the last 8 days. Maybe because of your personality or looks, he has been trying to send you signals using Thieves Cant. Most of them being propositions to bet on things - virtually anything - but you're sure he's just trying to reveal himself as a fellow Rogue to you.

Ramsus
2017-02-20, 02:04 AM
<"If you say so... So why are you in here with the rest of us? Did they throw you in here for being overly polite?"> Bryn replies teasingly, not getting ruffled in the slightest by contempt she fully expected.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-20, 03:59 AM

Sorrak was torn between the small comfort in that another member of his race was here and the saddening fact that Eldeth was being subjected to the same foul fate. "I agree that Gauntlgrym is the best course of action if we escape." He tells her, his mind passing to the thoughts of warm hearth and good food back in the city of his kin "When we escape I mean... not if." Always the smooth talker he was ... still, he hoped that he'd relaxed her at least a little bit considering how she'd been over the past several days.

"I cant understand a word of uncommon I'm afraid." he tells Jimjar at one point. "When we form a plan I'll need you to pass it on to the others... see if any of them are willing to help."

History [roll0] to see what I know about Derro

Nature [roll1] to see what I know about Myconid

stanleyindraven
2017-02-20, 11:01 AM
"Escape huh? Well, count me in, my dreams have gone from wine and women to hideous black slime." Groll is a bit louder than one should be when he mentions escape. He stands and looks around. "Bet I could stab one of those black bastards with this. Then again, I can still cast."

Alkerite
2017-02-20, 11:07 AM
Relax, little one. I bear you no ill will, I am merely curious about what you are... By emperical evidence, I must assume you're some form of sentient, mobile mushroom. Nihilus smiled, looking down at the small creature, not wanting to set it off again.

2D8HP
2017-02-20, 11:13 AM

In Cant to Jimjar

"no bets, just be alert for chances to escape"

Fishybugs
2017-02-20, 11:15 AM
Spiros continues to sit in quiet meditation as the others speak. The spider, Porteur as Spiros had begun calling him, sat quietly in the web he placed in the corner of the cage. He hears one of the others speak of dreams of black slime, and horror sets into him as he realizes the dreams...aren't just dreams. A shiver runs down his spine. He opens his eyes to look around, but of course it's still dark. He offers a silent prayer to his god,Helm, see me through this.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-20, 12:51 PM

"And here I thought dragons were supposed to be wise beyond years..." Sorrak says dryly as Groll begins blurting out things clearly not intended for the guards to hear. He holds a finger to his lips to once again emphasize the importance of being quiet, something he didn't think he'd have to tell people. He facepalms internally at the thought process the lizard must have had: 'Yes, let me just mention escape, show off a contraband weapon, and alert everyone to the fact that I have magic at my beck and call still. Clearly the best way to aid our cause.'

josienoms
2017-02-21, 10:24 AM
It wasn't the response she was expecting, but it was certainly something she could work with. The important thing was that it seemed she could get Ront to calm down, making him less of a threat to anyone else.

<"Call me Glennan.">

She smiles, hoping that it comes across as reassuring and confident.

<"Maybe you're right, maybe this is a punishment. Or, perhaps, it's a chance at redemption. It's possible that this is a test, to prove yourself brave. If you lie down and accept this, then yes, you deserve to be here. But I think that Gruumsh would rather see you fight your way free.">

Alkerite
2017-02-21, 11:12 AM
Dwarf. While I would normally agree that talking openly of escape is foolish, there are a few factors you are forgetting, unlike the dragon. First off, do you really think a race like Drow will make the effort of learning our common? Sure, there might be a few exceptions here and there, but for the most part, our common is inane babbling to them. Secondly, you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that the Drow will find recapturing us a chore, they're a race of hedonistic sadists, they'll enjoy it, thoroughly. Now, enough of that and let me supply some information. There's four Drow in particular whose names are on every guard's lips. A priestess, a junior priestess, the lover of the former, and the former lover of the former. I am willing to bet my life's service that one, if not all of them have ambition. The junior priestess likely wants to usurp the priestess, and the former lover likely wants to take his vengeance against the priestess and her current lover. So, I suggest we make a deal with the ones who want to kill our current captors, e.g. the junior priestess and the scorned loverboy. Which is indeed the best bet, as the junior priestess will be the highest ranking Drow here, after the priestess's death, and that means, if we get in her good books, we can simply ask to leave, rather than run with our collective ass being ridden by a full encampment of Drow, quaggoths, and their spiders.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-21, 02:39 PM

'How very like an elf to think he had ever aspect of those around him figured out; Why bother being careful and effective when you can just assume you have all the answers?' Sorrak thinks to himself, unaware if he'd actually rolled his eyes in conjunction with his sarcastic internal monologue. He fights the urge to say several things aloud in retort, he was going to need every able body he could get on his side to get out of this festering pit and he knew full well he rubbed folks the wrong way sometimes. In his defense though people, more often than not, rubbed him the wrong way...

"Those are all fine assumptions. But just remember that it's not just your life on the line if they are wrong." He says, motioning to the room full of people with a slow sweep of his left hand. "Lets deal in facts. Be efficient, not careless. Stay alive, not die needlessly because a hunch didn't pan out."

Second slew of questions:

- Have any of the drow spoken common? Even broken common?

- What's our light situation? Are there any lanterns or anything outside the cell providing light out there or in here?

- Are the priestess and her two subordinates always together when we've seen them?

- Is there one key to our cell? Or does it seem like multiple keys exist?

- The cell door is just stereotypical vertical iron bars? Or something else?

Alkerite
2017-02-21, 03:15 PM
Very well. I suppose I can divulge all the information I have heard, rather than the connections I have gleaned by my understanding of Drow. There are nineteen Drow stationed here, including our hostess and the other three of import, twevle quaggoths, and an unspecific number of spiders. Nihilus snorted, standing up straight to look down at the dwarf, literally, while lording over him. Doesn't this imbecile understand the reasonable jumps in logic? I mean, if you show me a Drow without ambition, and I'll tell the fool wood elf to wash the makeup off.

Fishybugs
2017-02-21, 03:50 PM
Spiros listens to the voices for a bit, then chimes in. "Frustration. Hunger. Division. These are the weapons the drow will use to defeat us. We must be better than that. Be patient. Strike when the time is right. Helm will provide for the vigilant."

Alkerite
2017-02-21, 04:09 PM
Sorry to say, glorified warpriest, but it's actually in the Drow's interest to keep us alive, but subservient. So by following that rhetoric, you'll be playing into their hand. I mean, if they wanted us all dead, we would be dead, long before we ever had this conversation. What they want is slaves, weakened, broken slaves, that abandoned their gods, or other means of security, akin to my magic. However. We're moving to some city soon, and that means underdark travel, which implies cliffs. As they will no longer be able to prevent me from casting, I can get some use out of feather fall. Nilhilus stops talking, to think. Mumbling a few words aloud. ... Too many possibilities... Combat prowess... Shackle durability... Magical items... Mn... Perhaps a less abrasive path is in order, as forementioned.

Fishybugs
2017-02-21, 04:14 PM
When Nihilus pauses in his reply, Spiros nods his head. "Yes, I did not say they would kill us. I said defeat. If they want weakened, broken slaves then I say that is what we give them." He falls silent as Nihilus starts muttering to himself.

Ramsus
2017-02-21, 04:58 PM
Bryn turns to the others and says quietly enough to not be overheard by anyone outside of the cell, "I'm glad we're having this discussion. I don't really care what we try as long as we try something. You all seem a competent lot and I'm sure the gods will favor us. Though I do think that making a deal with the drow wouldn't work out so well. Yes they'd probably agree to let us kill their enemies, but I don't think they would feel at all compelled to hold up their end of any bargain and we'd wind up back in a cell again. Still, it's a good enough idea to maybe get us out of our chains or to delay an execution if we get caught trying some other means of escape. But in this case I don't think we should intend to hold up our side of any such deal any more than they would. It is only right afterall that those who are enemies of truth would receive none themselves."

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-21, 05:49 PM

Sorrak wasn't sure if the elf was trying to be intimidating or just the expected condescending. He certainly wasn't suddenly afraid of what might come next simply because Nihilus had snorted and stood up. Taller races too often assumed their height 'advantage' meant something, a laughable conjecture at best. Looking up only made it easier to continue the motion into another broadcast eye roll.

"Frustration. Hunger. Division. These are the weapons the drow will use to defeat us. We must be better than that. Be patient. Strike when the time is right. Helm will provide for the vigilant."

"See, now there's the sort of level head we need." Sorrak says, glad that someone else among them was looking at this from a logical perspective. "Nineteen drow and a dozen quaggoths slaves." The dwarf repeats, his gaze having turned toward Eldeth. "Clearly not the best of odds but things could certainly be worse..."

After Nihilus and Spiros share another exchange, the dwarf chimes in with one more earnest remark, meant for anyone listening rather than anyone in particular. He doesn't worry whether or not the mumbling elf pays him any mind. "The important thing is to work together rather than for individual interest. But we mustn't show our hand before the cards are played either... keep your voices down and your eyes and ears open."

After a short pause he adds a final statement, mostly in the direction of Spiros "The Gods will see us though this yet."

Fishybugs
2017-02-21, 06:28 PM
Spiros, having not moved at all from the corner of the cell he sits in, bows his head serenely in acknowledgement to Sorrak's final statement. "Indeed."

tomafox
2017-02-22, 10:11 PM
@Bryn
"Begone, degenerate!" - It's clear he won't break into conversation easily. During the last few days, you noticed him getting gradually worse and weaker. He seems really sick.

@Sorrak
At some point, Eldeth asks you to promise to take her shield and warhammer to her family, if you manage to escape but she doesn't, or if something happens to her.

You heard the derro believe they were created by the god Diirinka, but dwarven scholars explained to you, in the past, that in truth, they were the result of cruel experimentations mind flayers performed on dwarves to create a slave race. Eventually, the derro freed themselves. They have a tendency for being cruel and insane. The derro have no known settlements or place to call home, and are usually treated as second-class citizens while living in the Underdark civilized locations. Your fellow dwarves always advised you to be careful around the derro.

Myconids are intelligent, ambulatory fungi that live in the Underdark, seek enlightenment, and deplore violence. If approached peacefully, myconids gladly provide shelter or allow safe passage through their colonies. They also reproduce and communicate using spores.

- The interior spaces of the outpost are dimly illummated by lanterns containing phosphorescent fungi. The exterior is dark.

- They are not always together. Sometimes they all gather in the same place, other times you see two of them walking together or visiting each other; most of the time each of them walks alone through the outpost. You don't know for sure how they behave inside their quarters. The guards usually patrol in pairs or groups of three.

- Each and every drow guard in the outpost wears a similar ring of keys hanging from a belt, so you may assume every one of them has a key to the slave pen's door.

- The gate is indeed vertical bars, but none of you could slip through it, even the smaller races.

@Nihilus
Roll Persuasion if you want to convince the myconid that you mean him no harm.

@Glennan
Ront calms himself while sadly telling you his story, but bursts into rage once again when he finishes it, "I ran away while brothers were slain by dwarves. No place to go back. Gruumsh will never forgive...Never!"

@Everyone

http://i.imgur.com/02ZwiYu.jpg

- The slave pen, where you'll start the adventure is area 11;
- 1 and 13 are watch posts;
- 12 is a cave similar to the slave pen, but has no gate, and it seems only the quaggoth slaves enter and exit it;
- 2,3 and 4 are the areas where the drow guards spend most of their time, but you don't know what's where; but 5 you know to be a winch and-basket device that funcions as a lift. Two quaggoth stand near it and operate it most of the time;
- 6,7,8 are where the elite drow, Mistress Ilvara and the junior priestess included, spend most of their time;
- 10 is a guard tower, overseeing the whole outpost; three guards on duty at all times;
- 9 is a waterfall, which you can hear at all times, even from inside the slave pen; This negates the cave's tendency to amplify and carry sounds;
- Bndges of spider·silk rope connect the walkways to the guard tower and the entrance to the priestess's tower.
- Looking down, you can see dense webs of giant spiders, and you know there's a pool of water down there as well.

Alkerite
2017-02-22, 10:58 PM
the persuasion roll, as asked [roll0]

josienoms
2017-02-23, 12:47 PM
It appeared she'd said the wrong thing. With Ront back into a rage, it would only draw the attention of the guards.

<"If you've nowhere to go, you can stick with me. Your tribe may not take you back, but I believe there's more to you than cowardice.">

Attempting a persuade check, to see if I can convince him.

[roll0]

While Ront decides on his answer, Glennan hesitantly approaches the other prisoners talking about an escape attempt. She switches back to Common in order to address them.

"Pardon me, I couldn't help but overhear. If there's any way I an aid in any sort of attempt, don't hesitate to ask it of me. I'd be more than happy to leave this dank hole with my life quite intact."

In particular she smiles at Spiros.

"I can see you're a holy man. I'm a Paladin, myself. It's my hope to take the Oath of Devotion, when the time comes."

stanleyindraven
2017-02-23, 12:57 PM
"Look, we can take the three guards in the tower if we can get out. Then sever the bridge and drop to the water below. From there it looks like we may be able to escape through the caves." Groll lowers his grumbling voice to address the others.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-23, 02:00 PM

Keeping to their native tongue, Sorrak does his best to comfort and embolden Eldeth. A proud dwarven woman like herself need not count themselves down and out just yet but he could understand her wanting her wishes known just in case. "I can assure that if the need arises I shall carry out your wishes to the best of my ability ma'am. I figure it best that we keep on minds to the task at hand and do what must be done that you--we all--return home on our own terms though." His thoughts linger on the idea of being safe inside Gauntlgrym and being able to sleep in a proper bed again. He shakes the image from his mind though, best to not be distracted now.

Weighing some of the ideas put forth by the other prisoners, the dwarf chimes in once more, perhaps to their dismay. His voice a hushed, gruff, whisper-talk... once again in common. "I don't think simply running is enough. Strolling into the caves down here with Drow on our heels, the unknown ahead of us, and not so much as a club to defend ourselves doesn't sound like the soundest of plans." He motions toward Groll, the hulking dragonborn who had most recently piped in. "You may be able to use your skills as-is, but some of the others might very much appreciate their equipment."

More Questions for the DM:

- What time of day is it? In the sense of is it before our work or after it? When is food time or has it passed already?

- Do I know how far it is from here to Gauntlgrym? Even a rough estimate? If it matters I have the Underdark Experience background feature.

Fishybugs
2017-02-23, 02:53 PM
Spiros smiles warmly when addressed by Glennon. "It is wonderful to hear that the words of the gods are not forgotten, especially in dark times such as this. Whichever god you serve will welcome your sword and your faith into their service."

stanleyindraven
2017-02-24, 09:13 AM
When the hairy deep gnome jumps to his sister's aid Groll will take up beside him. "Hey, why don't you morons take someone big enough to put up a fight?! I bet I would win in a fight one on one! I know you can understand me, I will not be ignored!" Groll raises his voice to a shout for the first time since he arrived, but it seems he is holding back. He looks aggitated and is putting on a good show.

Alkerite
2017-02-24, 09:50 AM
Sadly, the delusional dragonman is right, making a freedom run to the nearest city is our best bet. However, as much as I loathe to admit it, the dwarf is right, too, we can't run in without equipment. The underdark has taken the lives of greater warriors and wizards than us, in greater number than us. More importantly than a sharpened blade, they have taken my spellbook, and unless you suggest I develop some creative combat uses for feather fall, I need it. My bet is rushing the guards, take what weapons we can find there, if our equipment isn't stored there, and then run to that lift, perhaps getting it destroyed or damaged, before jumping off the cliff. However, I can only use it on five people, so the strong will have to carry others.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-24, 11:08 AM

"You know, you really ought to work on your people skills." Sorrak blurts out, following another longwinded response from Nihilus where he referred to people by such loving titles as 'glorified warpriest', 'delusional dragonman', or simply 'dwarf'. It was a wonder at all there were peoples out there who considered elves lofty and sophisticated considering that most he'd met had been narrow-minded and condescending. The irony, of course, was not lost on the dwarf that it was he who was pointing out someone else's social ineptitude.

Alkerite
2017-02-24, 01:07 PM
And you should note, dwarf, the difference between not trying, and not being able. I am very able of being suave and polite, but I'm simply nor wanting to do so to you. However, I believe that most dwarves I've met were completely and utterly intolerable in pleasant conversation, unless the dwarf in question had enough booze in his blood to kill two men. So far, you've yet to prove my conjecture wrong. However, enough of the pettiness, we both have enough enemies to deal with, so I'll try to use your names, such as they are, and little words.

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-24, 01:30 PM

Further racist comments and broad stereotypes from the man elicit no further comments from the dwarven warrior. He simply chuckles heartily and then shakes his head in the way a disappointed teacher would react to a student who'd failed a simple test.

Fishybugs
2017-02-24, 02:19 PM

Spiros raises his hand and rubs his temples with his fingers, wondering again how he managed to end up in this cage with these bickering, closed-minded people. Helm has a purpose for you, Spiros. Hold on. The light will welcome you back.

"It is good for your soul to have hope, but if we cannot even open the cage, how do we use the plan to get our gear? Does anyone have the skill to manipulate the lock?"

Alkerite
2017-02-24, 04:19 PM
No, although I wouldn't admit it to a holy man who'd hound me till the end of my days if I did have the skill. Perhaps you should seek one of the prisoners with procliv... talent for theft. Nihilius sighed, and sat down, resting as best he could on the stone, looking back to the small mushroom. However, I suggest you find some tools for them to use, otherwise all this conjecture... Planning, is useless.

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 11:17 PM
"It is good for your soul to have hope, but if we cannot even open the cage, how do we use the plan to get our gear? Does anyone have the skill to manipulate the lock?"

To Spiros

That's the pickle. I could pick a lock with my tools, and without picking the lock I can't get my tools! Perhaps I may try using something sharp?

Bounty Hunter
2017-02-25, 12:13 AM

"Let's keep an eye out for something that could be used instead in a pinch." Sorrak says, unfortunately not knowing enough about lockpicking to know what might make a suitable substitute. "Be careful not to get caught of course, perhaps wait until there's a distraction and the guards are focused elsewhere."

tomafox
2017-02-26, 01:31 PM
@Glennan
Ront decides to place his trust in you. Being an orc, bursts of rage come to him naturally and often, but not so much that he puts any of you in danger.

@Groll
The drow immobilize you before you can do anything to help. They slit Turvy's throat right in front of her brother and throw her in the pool. A sad moment after, they let Topsy join her and throw him as well.

@Everyone
The spores allow everyone to telepatically communicate with one another, breaking the language barrier

- I'm sorry for rushing it, but I feel like I started this the wrong way (not giving you time references for example);
- I'd like you to keep using this thread to explore your escape options and refine your relationships with your fellow prisoners, while I create a "Present day Game Thread", where we'll *really* start playing the module;
- Remember you are still restrained with manacles and collars - while wearing them, you won't be able to use spells and weapons like bows.

tomafox
2017-02-26, 01:47 PM
And HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516605-Out-of-the-Abyss-TomaFox-Chapter-1-Velkynvelve) it is.