PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Suggested Marshal Fix

artimus261
2017-02-17, 12:12 AM
Think the fixes below help the marshal stay active in combat and coordinate the fight without being too overpowering. Admittedly the ability to have 4 minor auras is pretty amazing but considering that they really dont get a lot to be an offensive class I feel like this is a safe thing, if they really wanna walk around giving the whole party a bonus on ALL of their saves equal to his Cha mod plus another then they should be able to, besides it happens slowly over time, really makes their growth worthwhile and going pure marshal actual feel rewarding. Also made the other traits Wisdom based on purpose. If they really wanna make use of it they need a good wisdom and can't just ignore their mental stats. It really just feels appropriate for someone who is supposed to be a battlefield coordinator.

Want to say for clarity that this fix is set in motion with the change to 3.5 that at 4th, 8th, 16th, and 20th the player gets 2 ability points that must go in different abilities and at 12th and 24th and so on they receive a point in all of their ability scores. In this way a character who cares about getting these effects should be able to without too much difficulty and still grow his physical stats to some extent. However this also rewards marshals who are truly there as coordinators, avoiding combat in earnest while still being able to deliver attacks when the need arises. For instance I think seeing a marshal with the following stats by level 20 would not be that outrageous: STR 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 18. This is of course ignoring magical gear and such. Now despite this marshal obviously lacking in true combat ability keep these stats in mind while reading the abilities and really think about what this guy would be capable of.

Marshals and Combat Focus: Marshals are combatants who specialize in their even and measured view of the battlefield. It is for this reason they are more adept at acquiring these feats than some. The Marshal's base attack bonus is treated as being equal to his Marshal class level for the purpose of selecting Combat Focus feats (listed in the Player's Handbook II).

Surmounting Splendor(Ex): As the marshal becomes more adept at spreading his presence in the heat of battle he is able to keep more and more auras active. Upon reaching 7th level the Marshal can begin keeping multiple minor auras active all at once. The Marshal is able to keep a number of minor auras active at all times equal to the bonus granted by his major aura(2 auras at 7th, 3 at 12th, and 4 at 20th). The number of minor auras the marshal has active cannot exceed his Intelligence modifier.

Rallying Cry(Ex): Beginning at 3rd level the marshal can give out a rallying cry to help his allies spring into action. As a full-round action the marshal bestows the benefits of his cry to all allies within 90ft that can hear and understand him and has an intelligence score of 3 or higher. All affected allies have all fear effects removed from them along with the dazed, dazzled, fascinated, and stunned status and gain an additional saving throw against any ongoing mind-affecting effects. Additionally they gain a morale bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls against a single enemy designated by the marshal equal to his Charisma modifier for 1d10 rounds. The marshal can perform this ability a number of times each day equal to 1 + his Wisdom modifier.

Combat Movement: The marshal gains Mobility as a bonus feat at 6th level. They need not meet the prerequisites for this feat.

Warning Shout(Ex): The marshall gives a shout of warning to an ally, preparing her for an incoming assault. Beginning at 5th level the Marshal can cry out a warning to an ally within 60ft of him as an immediate action. The ally must be able to hear and understand the marshal and have an intelligence score of 3 or higher. The ally gains a bonus equal to the Marshal’s Wisdom modifier as a bonus to their AC or Reflex saves against the next attack or spell that is targeting them. The marshal must be aware of the attack to give an ally the benefit of warning shout. The marshal can do this a number of times during each encounter equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Improved Aid(Ex): The marshal has grown extremely adept at aiding his allies in combat. Starting at 8th level the bonus the marshal bestows with his Aid Another action now gains a bonus equal to his Intelligence modifier. Additionally at 13th level the marshal can use the aid another action as a swift action. He can of course still use it as a standard action as well. Finally at 19th level the Marshal can grant all adjacent allies his bonus with the Aid Another action as a full round action. The selected bonus is the same for all allies, though he can still grant another single ally the other bonus as a swift action. For instance at 20th level a Marshal could grant all allies adjacent to him the +2(plus the marshal's intelligence modifier) to their AC as a full round action. However he could then also grant a single ally the +2 bonus on his attack roll as a swift action.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 09:11 AM
For one last comment all of these updates are a huge help to an aging Marshal who should easily be able to benefit from his years on the field, even if wielding his blade becomes harder each year.

CartmanTuttle
2017-02-17, 10:34 AM
I really like these, especially the multiple minor auras ability. I've always had an interest in playing a Marshal, but they seem like a class that doesn't fit in a heavy-optimization game, and the only one I did see played spent all of his time in combat hiding behind cover, either switching up his auras depending on situational need, or taking a full defense action. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be played, but I'm not a fan of that style.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 10:49 AM
Yeah I was hoping to help them stay engaged in combat, albeit still in a heavy support role, with these additions. And since they are all reliant on other mental stats it requires some work on the players part and prevents them from just owning the field with a high charisma. I mean this way a marshal with 18 Int and Cha can, at 20th level if he felt like it, give all allies a +8 on all saving throws all the damn time, and still even give them a +4 to some other minor aura effect. Then the status removal i feel helps keep the party in fighting shape despite any crowd control effects and with his ability to help specific allies while remaining in the fray i think this marshal could really stay busy actually helping the party, along with the occasional attack here or there. Also about to add a thing to the rallying cry that lets all allies who here it get an additional saving throw against any ongoing mind-affecting effects ;P take that dominate person!

CartmanTuttle
2017-02-17, 11:06 AM
Yeah I was hoping to help them stay engaged in combat, albeit still in a heavy support role, with these additions. And since they are all reliant on other mental stats it requires some work on the players part and prevents them from just owning the field with a high charisma. I mean this way a marshal with 18 Int and Cha can, at 20th level if he felt like it, give all allies a +8 on all saving throws all the damn time, and still even give them a +4 to some other minor aura effect. Then the status removal i feel helps keep the party in fighting shape despite any crowd control effects and with his ability to help specific allies while remaining in the fray i think this marshal could really stay busy actually helping the party, along with the occasional attack here or there. Also about to add a thing to the rallying cry that lets all allies who here it get an additional saving throw against any ongoing mind-affecting effects ;P take that dominate person!

I agree wholeheartedly with these decisions, especially that last part. One more reason Paladin is my favorite class.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 12:18 PM
Yeah this marshal ends up being a little similar really to a paladin in that they benefit from every stat which can make it a little difficult to decide what to do BUT no matter what they put where there is benefits for them to make use of. Even without a high int a marshal with 14 could still pump out 2 auras, bestow a +4 AC or attack bonus on aid actions and still do it as a swift. Think mobility is fair to give them cuz they need to be able to move about without getting clobbered to death for taking some steps

CartmanTuttle
2017-02-17, 12:45 PM
Yeah this marshal ends up being a little similar really to a paladin in that they benefit from every stat which can make it a little difficult to decide what to do BUT no matter what they put where there is benefits for them to make use of. Even without a high int a marshal with 14 could still pump out 2 auras, bestow a +4 AC or attack bonus on aid actions and still do it as a swift. Think mobility is fair to give them cuz they need to be able to move about without getting clobbered to death for taking some steps

You might want to add that they get Mobility without having to meet the prerequisites. People can get very...strict on wordings like that.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 01:58 PM
That was a good call. Because things say that where it applies so it was definitely needed.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 02:56 PM
Made an addition for a special ruling involving Marshals and the Combat Focus feat chain making it a little easier for them to acquire and to reward the Wisdom heavy Marshals.

Also edited warning shout. As it is now reach of the new traits helps blend two different mental stats for great results:

Surmounting Splendor: Adds an Intelligence twist to the Marshal's Charisma based auras.

Rallying Cry: Grants Charisma as a targeted but potent combat bonus. Uses are Wisdom based.

Warning Shout: Allows the Marshal to grant targeted defense assistance equal to his Wisdom modifier. Uses are Intelligence based.

This way no matter what mix of stats they choose they are getting varied and useful abilities. And really a marshal with high mental stats across the board would just be amazing, if lacking in earnest combat.

artimus261
2017-02-17, 03:04 PM
Do you think the full round aid another thing is too much?

CartmanTuttle
2017-02-17, 09:45 PM
Do you think the full round aid another thing is too much?

No, especially since how often are you going to be adjacent to other people, specifically a lot of them?