PDA

View Full Version : How would you optimize a mounted charger Factotum?

Soranar
2017-02-17, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking of playing a small race to use a mount I can ride anywhere

First thought is playing a strongheart halfling for the bonus feat

I intended to take wild cohort to obtain a riding dog as a mount (or buy a mount early on and get an improved familiar eventually though that'll cost me another feat

cunning insight works well with a charger using a lance (essensially doubles the damage bonus) and synergizes just as well with a valorous lance and power attack

since getting spirited charge is feat intensive, I'm considering just obtaining the feat from a magic item eventually though I'm not sure which one is the best to do that

eventually knowledge devotion should also help out this build (even more damage and a bonus to hit to compensate for power attack)

My question is, is this viable compared to making a manyshot archer ?
if I compare this Factotum to a paladin charger, a paladin's smite doesn't work vs most things
cunning insight works against anything

the Factotum is less MAD than the paladin
the Factotum is way more useful outside combat

I'm not sure how cunning surge would interact with charging (does my bonus attack count as part of a charge? should I just keep my IP for more uses of cunning insight?)

Fizban
2017-02-17, 01:04 AM
Cunning Surge actions are not part of the charge, however you might be able to combine two standard actions from Cunning Surge into a full-round action to get another charge if your DM allows it, or a move action from some source with the Cunning Surge action. You can't use the Partial Charge rule (if restricted to a single standard action you can still charge at your normal speed instead of double), unless you Slow yourself in which case you could charge with every standard action, if you need some cheese.

Otherwise yeah, it's a perfectly sensible plan, just build for str and melee. If you need more power you can use a wand of Rhino's Rush for a total of x3 damage even without Spirited Charge. A single level dip of Fighter or Barbarian would still be a very good idea to pick up better armor and a bonus feat or something, since a str build doesn't want to waste time on dex. You might want to grab Mounted Combat anyway, just to help keep your mount alive. Between armor, shield, Cunning Defense, and use mount for cover, you should be able to pull some serious AC when you need to even without Combat Expertise.

Deeds
2017-02-17, 08:27 AM
I would use factotum as a dip, take a shot of whisky, and take 2 levels of fighter to get spirited charge. At least this way you're garaunteed spirited charge at level 3, 1 free feat, and you aren't dependent on your DM for a magic item.