PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hunter using a Small Cat or a Digmaul. Help

Degwerks
2017-02-17, 09:09 AM
I've never played a class with an animal companion before so I have a few questions.

1. Does your pet roll its own initiative or does it act on your turn?

2. Between a Small Cat or Digmaul which is the better choice?

Stats are nearly identical except small cat gets a 12 strength to start with and digmaul has a 10. Digmaul also can trip/bull rush with a +4 racial bonus with its bobtail attack at first level, giving 4 attacks. Small cat only has 3 but gets a really cool Sprint ability at 4th level.

I was planning on using Weapon finesse as its first feat for the Digmaul. Then boosting its intelligence to 3 to have it get Dirty Fighting feat, improved trip and greater trip feats. But I was wondering if that is worth it. Small cat feats I'm considering the spring attack chain to match mine possibly.

Also the Warcat doesn't look like a terrible choice either. I just can't make up my mind.

Palanan
2017-02-17, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Degwerks
1. Does your pet roll its own initiative or does it act on your turn?

Animal companions act on your turn.

Originally Posted by Degwerks
2. Between a Small Cat or Digmaul which is the better choice?

I’m not familiar with the digmaul, but a bonus on tripping sounds useful—especially at first level, when you need all the help you can get.

Degwerks
2017-02-18, 08:36 AM
The Digmaul is in beastiry 5. It looks like a bobcat/lynx, small size and almost identical to the small cat stats. Except for the spiked mace like tail tip it has.