PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness

Ranis
2007-07-23, 08:19 AM
Rented this a few days ago and sat down with it, and was immediately enthralled. Giant dark tentacles protruding from you as your rage builds and decimating enemies with the Demon Arm, the Black Hole, the Darkness Guns, and the Creeping Dark? Sign me up, skippy.

In short, when I sat down in front of this game, the action was intense enough to keep me spellbound while keeping the story interesting and gritty enough to continue keeping my attention after I completed a level.

Then the ending:

So woot, you kill a veritable army in Paulie's mansion, then chase him up a lighthouse and cap the bastard. Then you get to watch him slowly die, and game is over. I think? What's this laying on a bench with Jenny? Then the game doesn't really.....end? At all?

Friggin' cliffhanger endings on what could have been a perfectly good standalone game! We're probably gonna see The Darkness 2 with Jackie trying to get The Darkness off of him the whole time-wait, wasn't that what he was already doing throughout most of this game?

I'll probably go whore up some multiplayer for an easy achievement or two before I take it back to the rental place. Anyone else like this game?

Ashtar
2007-07-23, 02:54 PM
Well, the game is fun but I find it lacks depth...

Just, go and read the comic... It's more fun :smallcool: . The Darkness is the "evil" opposite to the witchblade (now how evil is the witchblade is up to debate). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_%28comics%29

talsine
2007-07-23, 03:26 PM
The Darkness is "A" counterpoint to the Witchblade, not the opposite. There are several powers involved across the books. Course, i think Witchblade is terrible, terrible reading, so i only know bits and pieces.

As for the game, i bought it, sat down, and it couldn't hold my interest. Maybe i didn't get far enough, but its just kinda meh, and the terribel animation for Jackie jsut throws me off.

TruenuffTrey
2007-07-23, 09:36 PM
I downloaded the demo, and found it quite enjoyable, however, i did find the aiming a little less fluid than I would've liked, but other than that, devouring faces was enjoyable. but then again, it usually is :)

Ranis
2007-07-25, 08:38 AM
Oh, it's a comic? That's.....that's very cool. I'll have to check it out sometime.

hanzo66
2007-07-26, 04:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_%28comics%29

I downloaded the demo as well. T'was fun, though the Darklings are not perfect AI-wise (it is fun to set the little buggers upon my enemies though). Creeping Dark seems to have a certain satisfaction behind it, biting your enemies' faces off without them seeing you.