PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary and the Alchemist

Seekergeek
2017-02-17, 12:18 PM
So, naturally, no DM I can imagine is going to be cool with this...BUT it occurs to me that RAW an artificer alchemist could benefit from the effects of his sanctuary spell and still bomb things with impunity since using the contents of his satchel is neither an attack nor a spell that effects enemy creatures. Has anyone brought this up at a table? How'd that go over? Seems like a pretty beautiful loophole to me.

Blue Wizrobe
2017-02-17, 12:28 PM
I mean, granted, Sanctuary was published in the PHB before the Artificer class was released in UA... the wording of the spell can't account for all future game mechanics (ie: Alchemy) that haven't been introduced yet, so it may not fit within the exact verbiage of the spells restrictions, but I have to think that by the intent of the restrictions, it doesn't fly. I would agree that I can't imagine a DM allowing it.

I guess the DM's logic would be that since the potions created by the satchel behave mechanically so much like spells, that for all intents and purposes, the "casting a spell that affects a creature" limitation applies to Alchemist Potions too?

By RAW, you bring up a fair point, I think.

Talionis
2017-02-18, 02:31 AM
It's still just unearthed arcana so it's an error by the editors. Great catch because RAW you are correct. Hopefully they will see this error and correct it.

Zalabim
2017-02-18, 05:20 AM
Something like this loophole already exists with 4Elements monks and Fist of Unbroken Air or Water Whip. So that's something to reference if you want to get an answer other than "It's UA."

Though that would be Fist of UA. Hmm.