PDA

View Full Version : Mac advice

beholder
2007-07-23, 08:24 AM
hi guys
im looking into getting a macbook pro, and i need some advice. im trying to make a film, a school project thing, but it needs to be REALLY good. is the movie editor on "ilife" good enough, or do i need to get "final cut studio 2" ?
thanks
beholder

Archonic Energy
2007-07-23, 08:28 AM
hi guys
im looking into getting a macbook pro, and i need some advice.

don't. :smalltongue:

now i'll wait for a real Mac person to give a decent answer.

Samiam303
2007-07-23, 08:52 AM
Movie editing is one of those things where just having a better program won't make your movie better. As long as YOU'RE any good at it, that's what'll make the difference... I don't think you'd need Final Cut Studio 2.

OverdrivePrime
2007-07-23, 08:52 AM
don't. :smalltongue:
Waaa waaa waaaa waaaaa... http://www.ryanjpeters.com/max/files/suxorz/lame.gif

Anyway, I don't quite know all the needs you've got, but unless they're fairly basic you're going to want something a little more robust than iLife. I've got Final Cut Express, and haven't really felt the need to upgrade at this point. It handles just about everything you could want to do unless someone is actually paying you to make something extremely professional. Final Cut Pro 2 would most likely be overkill.

if you're a student, make sure you look into a discount program through your school. I managed to get Adobe Creative Suite 2 through UWM for about 300 bucks. :smallbiggrin:

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-24, 01:09 AM
iLife.

let me point you to one of the most famous quotes ever:

After the recent Apple conference, Mac fans were elated. One person was quoted as saying "I've had a Macintosh now for a total of 35 days, and I'm really excited to be part of the Mac community." Part of the Mac community? It's a computer, not a social movement, *******!
George Ouzounian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddox_(writer)) is God!

Amotis
2007-07-24, 01:11 AM
Don't you know? You can tell on the internet just by looking at someone's post or email if they use a Mac. It leaves a dim red aura only some people can see. McCarthy was one of them.

The_Chilli_God
2007-07-24, 02:10 AM
Urgh, Why do I get the feeling that every single thread topic that has to do with Macs eventually turns into a target thread for those that have either Bill Gates or Steve Jobs on their death list and just want to boast it out to the world?
Honestly, I'd rather not it start here too.

Anyway, I'd take samiam's advice. I seem to be able to make perfectly acceptable stuff out of programs that went obsolete roughly three or four years ago, and just having more features won't change your movie's quality.

beholder
2007-07-24, 05:48 AM
thanks to those that gave advice. ilife isnt good enough? thats all i really needed to know.

LCR
2007-07-24, 06:08 AM
Well, I think iLife is sufficient for most editing issues. But I'm not a pro, I wouldn't even call me an interested amateur ...