PDA

View Full Version : Feedback? Initiative System for a large group.

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-17, 02:34 PM
So I recently (and unexpectedly) went from DMing a cozy table of 3 players to a large table of 7. The first night I basically ran "beginner level" combats to let everyone settle in and get a feel for their PC's and whatnot.

After the session that was a lot of fun for all, I realized at this pace it will be 2 sessions per "quest" or mission, or crawl-whatever you want to call it with simple encounters taking 3 times longer. So I drew up a system that I hope allows combat to flow faster and avoids the whole waiting ten minutes to go again for each player, while still giving enemies a fair shake.

I'd appreciate any feedback and advice. System works like this.

1.)before the session starts, each player (1 at a time) will roll 3d20 + their dex modifier x3. Then I'll divide it back by 3 to give them the average to reflect their "initiative score" for the night.

--why 3 dice instead of 1? To avoid an entire night hinging on one possible crappy roll. The rogue with a 16 dex doesn't "lose" all night because they rolled a 3 or something. It becomes clearer further down.

2.)At the start of the first encounter, the players will have 3 timed minutes to discuss strategy. What this simulates is the fact that a party of well trained adventures travelleing and fighting together know their abilities and play off eachother more like a prepared delta force than a buncha guys with regular jobs and wives outside the game.

3.)When time is up, the first player goes. When his turn is over, he "passes the ball" to any player he chooses to go next. This continues until all players, including enemies have gone once, concluding the round.

4.)Before the start of each turn, including the first player, I roll a quick d20 and add the highest enemy's dex modifier. If it exceeds the players' "initiative score", the foes go before the player. If it is a tie, they go immediately following that player. If it is lower, there is a reroll on the next player's turn against their initiative score with the same rules in place.

--this still adds an element of uncertainty and chaos to the combat, & allows the monsters a fair shake.

5.)Whenever possible, no player may pass the ball to the same player they already have until they have passed the ball to everyone else at least once.

--I feel this brings a deeper level of attention and immersion, with nobody knowing if they're next, rather than "ok, I went; Facebook for 10 minutes until I go again" while promoting party cohesion. Yes, players should be and were (fpr the lost part) involved in the action, and I'm an entertaining DM, but it's just human nature to get sidetracked in that big of a table and it does happen. But with random ball passing, it forces players to always be ready.

6.) Players will be strongly encouraged to have their moves as ready "as possible, when possible" beforehand, and told to roll attack and/or dmg die all at once on their turn. If they hit, or I fail a save, it's all rolled already. If they miss, so be it.

7.)During the session-every combat encounter will begin with a different player, in descending order of initiative scores.

This pretty much sums it up. Rolling initiative each round takes a little time, sorting out order and whatnot. And players are going to discuss strategy no matter what. This bypasses a lot of that. And when rolling to hit, then dmg, then modifiers, sneak att dice, etc., it's eliminating roughly 30 seconds per turn. 3.5 minutes a round. Moreson depending on the amount and type of monsters. So call that 5 minutes a round. In a 6 round encounter, it's saving roughly a half hour of playtime. It keeps everyone focused and ready, nobody gets stuck waiting the same amount of time between turns, and the "slow guy" isn't always last every single fight.

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions/criticisms; good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks.

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-21, 08:28 AM
Maybe I should have titled this thread "Need Help, Building a Rogue"

PanosIs
2017-02-21, 08:33 AM
I like how you are relying on a weighted random system, and it will make combats faster. However, having all the players go before all the opponents or the opposite makes you loose the interesting dynamic between players and npcs (non-player combatants), thus hurting the pace of combat quite a bit.

Otherwise, sounds good :)

Sjappo
2017-02-21, 08:57 AM
Looks good. Reminds me of a ini-system I read about some time ago. The "passing the ball" system encourages tactical thinking.

The original system I read about had the last player in one round tag the first player for the next round. This prevents the whole "Players go First" thing because if the do the monsters can double team them at the end of the round and the start of the next. Gives extra depth.

Tip: use playing cards or some such to keep track of who already went this round.

Cespenar
2017-02-21, 09:11 AM
Try it once and see how it goes. That's basically it.

However, some further suggestions:

-Beforehand, even outside the strategy discussion part, go over your party's class features quickly and make them realize their options. This will help hasten the decision process later on.

-Upon a possible rule question/discussion during the heat of the battle, go with your own memory/gut feeling if you're not sure, note it down quickly, and check it afterwards, in your free time. Or, if possible, request from a player (possibly deep down the initiative list) to go through the book and find the discussed rule for you, while you move the game forward.

-Encourage tactical discussions between your players who are waiting their turns. While this might create a bit of background noise, it would hasten their decision process a lot and keep their interest in the game.

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-21, 12:57 PM
I like how you are relying on a weighted random system, and it will make combats faster. However, having all the players go before all the opponents or the opposite makes you loose the interesting dynamic between players and npcs (non-player combatants), thus hurting the pace of combat quite a bit.

Otherwise, sounds good :)

Thanks for the the feedback (everyone), but to this particular quote, maybe my OP was a little "tldr" but I do have the enemies rolling against each player's initiative score per turn until they go each round, to avoid them going last every time.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-21, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the the feedback (everyone), but to this particular quote, maybe my OP was a little "tldr" but I do have the enemies rolling against each player's initiative score per turn until they go each round, to avoid them going last every time.

I think that the talk strategy part of combat is great. One thing that bogs down combat is a lack of understanding of the area and the encounter. One thing I would recommend is incorporating Surprise Rounds, Legendary actions, and Initiative based abilities. Once you have those taken care off, you will have a solid system for running combat

ClearlyTough69
2017-02-22, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a good system - one I might steal!

Couple of points: firstly, doesn't rolling the NPCs' initiative take time and break the flow?

On the planning element, you could try this. List the PCs in order, from lowest to highest Intelligence score. Starting with the player of the dumbest PC, get them to declare their intentions for the battle in turn - let them speak for no more than 20 seconds each. This allows the smarter PCs to take account of their fellows' intentions, and to suggest alternative courses of action. But those alternative courses can't be discussed - it's down to how the PCs now behave in combat! This also gives Intelligence a bit of a boost.

Let us know how your system runs on the night.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-22, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a good system - one I might steal!

Couple of points: firstly, doesn't rolling the NPCs' initiative take time and break the flow?

On the planning element, you could try this. List the PCs in order, from lowest to highest Intelligence score. Starting with the player of the dumbest PC, get them to declare their intentions for the battle in turn - let them speak for no more than 20 seconds each. This allows the smarter PCs to take account of their fellows' intentions, and to suggest alternative courses of action. But those alternative courses can't be discussed - it's down to how the PCs now behave in combat! This also gives Intelligence a bit of a boost.

Let us know how your system runs on the night.

Not a bad idea, I would suggest trying something like this ( assuming that group does not all have the same INT (8's are rather common))

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-23, 06:58 AM
Expected to use it last night (Wed) but we were 3 players short because... life, so with 4 players, just rolled normal initiatives.. Next week the table is expected to be full. Even if it happens to be only 5 players, I will probably test it anyway.

So, sadly, test 4un has to wait another week... Thanks for all the input/suggestions thus far, though. Some cool suggestions, but I think I'm going to leave it as is for now, test the waters, see what the players think or have to offer, and tweak/scrap it as needed, maybe impliment some of the ideas here

The intelligence concept is a neat take, but I think the 3 minutes of group talk is a good starting point. As 8 int is probably right at or only slightly below "ordinary earth average", with plenty of dummies performing well in organized group situations that can get complex-military, team sports, tactical video games, auto mechanics, bands, circus acts, etc., it seems to be shown that almost anyone can be trained or coached. Therefore, a group of seasoned professional killers, be they quantum physicists or burger flippers, should be practiced and fairly good at tactical operations and squad-style battles;probably not . Even the illiterate barbarian still would know how to sneak, smash, rage, target tye strongest foen and help his allies in whatever way, pretty much insitinctively through practice.

It's not as if a hardened killer in full plate is going to attempt a sneak or run right through a black ooze, so group discussion should suffice, but I will keep it on the back burner.