PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Nicknames

kinzington
2017-02-17, 03:14 PM
So I'm making a gnome illusionist. Gnomes get an insane amount of names if you play as a loreheavy person. They get lots of names, and then usually one nickname growing up, then adopt even more. Currently, I'm designing a gnome illusionist (I don't think he's going to be too blatant about it), and I'm trying to determine a nickname based upon his accomplishments and such. Previous nicknames and examples include "Faelover" "Hillwander" "Dragonslayer" and also titles such as "The Sleepless" "Master of Beasts"... sadly, I can't think of any that appeal to me.

Jay R
2017-02-17, 05:14 PM
He's an illusionist. Confusing the truth is his stock in trade.

So don't stick to real accomplishments.
Dragonrider
Ogretamer
Beholder's bane
Heartbreaker

Also, go back and re-read Bilbo's conversation with Smaug in The Hobbit. That's how you invent nicknames.

daremetoidareyo
2017-02-17, 07:59 PM
Cannonball. You were a chubby kid and your parents dint gib a fuh.

Jay R
2017-02-17, 10:19 PM
You don't need to do all the work now, by the way. From my current gnome's character background:

This is the beginnings of the tale of one young gnome of the Grabediodd tribe. But how shall we identify him?

He was originally named Grabnol, a name that shows his relation to the clan, and that will never be used outside the caves of his birth (or within them, as shown below). The elves named him Tildring (“pointed hammer”). Two gnome sisters from another clan knew him briefly as Dimble, a name which only lives on as a use-name for the child one of them bore. And one orc called him Grek’khan (“little brown dinner”), but that name died when the orc did, moments later.

He traveled to dwarven lands as Doli seeking information. They also named him Bolten, “Son of Mystery” because he does not know the nature of his own quest.

He has at least three other names, which I will invent when I need them, and abandon at whim, for this is the way of the gnome.

But he will soon be among humans, who expect somebody to have a single name. Among them he will be known as Gwystyl. We will therefore refer to him as Gwystyl. He will answer to it, but he does not consider it his own, as his tools are.