PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest a character can move in 5e?

Arenabait
2017-02-17, 03:43 PM
It's in the title, I want to know how fast a character can move in one turn in 5e right now, as I haven't seen this question asked since 2015, and lots of stuff has been released since then.

The character will level 20, and you can use magic items, one of the boons in the DMG, allies buffing you (In a party of 3 other level 20 characters), UA, and even the MTG Plane Shift stuff if it helps.

The only rules are that you HAVE to do it yourself (No using mounts), wishing for infinite speed is off limits, and you have to get there by your own sheer power, meaning no using dimension door or anything.

Everybody ready? Then let the theory crafting begin!

solidork
2017-02-17, 04:13 PM
There was a thread about this within the last week, if you're curious to go looking for it.

joaber
2017-02-17, 04:19 PM
Lat time I checked:

moon druid 6 = allosaurus, 60 ft.
Fighter 2 = action surge
barbarian elk 5 = +25ft.
monk 2 = +10ft.
bladesinger 2 = +10ft.
mystic 1 = +5ft.
(2 level missing, maybe rogue for cunning action or 2 more in monk for ASI and more ki to dash)
Mobile +10
longstride +10
boon of speed +30
major property artifact +10,
transmuter stone +10 (stolen from wizard).
boots of speed for allosaurus x2
potion of speed = haste
Tabaxi x2

dash + action dash + bonus action dash + action surge dash + haste dash = 7200 feet one turn or 823m/h

Some Circle of dreams Druid lvl 20 could give you extra +100ft, for = 11200 feet total

JaggedSun
2017-02-17, 04:28 PM
We were just trying to figure this out the other day. Thanks for the info!

Maxilian
2017-02-17, 04:29 PM
Lat time I checked:

Fighter 2 = action surge
barbarian elk 5 = +25ft.
monk 2 = +10ft.
bladesinger 2 = +10ft.
mystic 1 = +5ft.
(2 level missing, maybe rogue for cunning action or 2 more in monk for ASI and more ki to dash)
Mobile +10
longstride +10
boon of speed +30
potion of speed = haste
Tabaxi x2

dash + action dash + bonus action dash + action surge dash + haste dash = 7200 feet one turn or 823m/h

Some Circle of dreams Druid lvl 20 could give you extra +100ft, for = 11200 feet total

Just need 2 Druid lvl and you can become a Deer (60 speed too), that lets you pick at least 1 lvl in the Artificer for the Speed Drought (20 more speed)

RumoCrytuf
2017-02-17, 04:36 PM
It's in the title, I want to know how fast a character can move in one turn in 5e right now, as I haven't seen this question asked since 2015, and lots of stuff has been released since then.

The character will level 20, and you can use magic items, one of the boons in the DMG, allies buffing you (In a party of 3 other level 20 characters), UA, and even the MTG Plane Shift stuff if it helps.

The only rules are that you HAVE to do it yourself (No using mounts), wishing for infinite speed is off limits, and you have to get there by your own sheer power, meaning no using dimension door or anything.

There was a thing I read about a 1 mile race or something... it turned into a discussion about infinite movement speed using pigeons.

Arenabait
2017-02-17, 04:42 PM
Dangit! only about 22% the speed of sound! Well, we'll ge there eventually.

Aett_Thorn
2017-02-17, 04:49 PM
There was a thing I read about a 1 mile race or something... it turned into a discussion about infinite movement speed using pigeons.

Yup, if you have an infinite supply of willing pigeons aligned correctly, you can break the speed of light. However, you will need to be turned into a six-armed snake demon.

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-17, 06:32 PM
Yup, if you have an infinite supply of willing pigeons aligned correctly, you can break the speed of light. However, you will need to be turned into a six-armed snake demon.

And you need to be a Paladin. Don't forget that part.

MasterMercury
2017-02-17, 06:48 PM
And you need to be a Paladin. Don't forget that part.

Oath of Vengance paladin 7 to be specific. If you want to be entirely self sufficient, you need to multiclass into Druid.

joaber
2017-02-17, 11:48 PM
Just need 2 Druid lvl and you can become a Deer (60 speed too), that lets you pick at least 1 lvl in the Artificer for the Speed Drought (20 more speed)

Really good point, I was missing artificer

Tectorman
2017-02-18, 02:16 AM

So far I'm up to Mach 3.51 in my speed build. I hadn't even considered the DMG Boons; thanks for that.

What's this about MTG Plane Shift?

Lombra
2017-02-18, 08:09 AM
Technically since teleportation is a thing the fastest you can move is unlimited miles per hour since speed = space/time, and since teleportation is instantaneous time is undefinetly small, therefore speed tends to infinity. But I know that that's not the answer you're looking for.

hymer
2017-02-18, 08:20 AM
Just need 2 Druid lvl and you can become a Deer (60 speed too)

You might be thinking about horses, who have 60' speed. Deer only have 50' speed.

Xetheral
2017-02-18, 08:47 AM

Instead of being a six-armed demon you can instead just take the tunnel fighter fighting style.

Unoriginal
2017-02-18, 09:06 AM
I think we can all agree that being an attractive six-armed serpent demon is an improvement in most situations.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-18, 09:35 AM
Lat time I checked:

Fighter 2 = action surge
barbarian elk 5 = +25ft.
monk 2 = +10ft.
bladesinger 2 = +10ft.
mystic 1 = +5ft.
Mobile +10
longstride +10
boon of speed +30
potion of speed = haste
Tabaxi x2

I'm AFB but there are rules about dashing more then 3 times in the dmg.

joaber
2017-02-18, 11:33 AM
I'm AFB but there are rules about dashing more then 3 times in the dmg.

There is, for chases. Is 3+ con mod, after that you start make con checks to avoid exhaustion.