PDA

View Full Version : PHB2 Paladin variant

AwfulLawful
2007-07-23, 09:36 AM
I'm about to build a paladin and wondered if i should try the variant in PHB2 (the one without the mount, but with some smite-charge bonus instead).
My problem is that i don't have access to the book right now and can't remember the exact rules. Can any of you help me?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-23, 09:37 AM
Gist of it: You get to charge and smite without losing the smite if you fail. You also get some bonus damage.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-23, 09:52 AM
You deal extra two points of damage per your paladin level when you charge smite, so if you charge smite, bonus damage you deal = yourPaladinLevel * 3. If you miss your smite attempt isn't considered used.

This feature replaces special mount so you can take it at level 5.

AwfulLawful
2007-07-23, 09:57 AM
Thanks

Think i'll use this variant and make him a leap attacking orc paladin of freedom (maybe with a single barbarian level)
Greataxe for the win!

Ikkitosen
2007-07-23, 09:59 AM
Take orc paragon levels - woot! Then get a reach weapon and Headlong Rush! Yeah! :smallcool:

Morty
2007-07-23, 10:04 AM
Don't forget about casting Rhino's Rush.

AwfulLawful
2007-07-23, 10:33 AM
Why orc paragon levels? It doesn't seem that good...

We're only lvl 6, by the way. And it's a one-shot adventure not a campaign.

The DM told us that the party had to include at least one paladin.

InaVegt
2007-07-23, 10:38 AM
Why orc paragon levels? It doesn't seem that good...

Because it nets you rage, a lawful barb ain't possible (nor is a chaotic true paladin)

magicwalker
2007-07-23, 10:43 AM
I thought the variant of paladin of freedom didn't have this alignment restriction?

AwfulLawful
2007-07-23, 10:44 AM
Orc paragon doesn't give you rage, not in my book anyway.. Paladin of freedom is chaotic good and should work fine with a single barbarian level :smallsmile:

Person_Man
2007-07-23, 10:47 AM
FYI, the Special Mount is potentially the Paladin's most powerful class feature. With Leadership or Dragon Cohort, you can get a mount more powerful then you are. The PHBII variant is ok, but nothing phenomenal.

giblina
2007-07-23, 10:51 AM
It's not RAW (rules as written), but this is my favorite paladin variant:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=761045

It fixes most everything that was handled poorly with the paladin base class, while at the same time keeping it fairly well balanced against other classes of the same level.

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-07-23, 12:37 PM
Perhaps Ikkitosen meant the Half-Orc paragon, which does indeed give rage.

Leon
2007-07-24, 03:38 AM
FYI, the Special Mount is potentially the Paladin's most powerful class feature. With Leadership or Dragon Cohort, you can get a mount more powerful then you are. The PHBII variant is ok, but nothing phenomenal.

Like most class features it can be droped in favour of something else if that person likes - thats why there are variants, they add other avenues of choice to vary a character.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-24, 04:17 AM
It's not RAW (rules as written), but this is my favorite paladin variant:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=761045

It fixes most everything that was handled poorly with the paladin base class, while at the same time keeping it fairly well balanced against other classes of the same level.

Mine too! :smallsmile:

The PH2 variant the OP mentioned is also integrated into that Paladin rebalance. It's one of the three 'styles' a paladin chooses, rather than being forced to get a special mount they may not want or need.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-24, 05:07 AM
I did mean half-orc paragon, as I was referring to rage. My bad.

Also, screw the PHBII variant - take, as your mount, a rhino. Awesome.