PDA

View Full Version : DM - Need Story Arc Ideas

JaggedSun
2017-02-17, 04:35 PM
Alright bear with me for a general summary of where my head is at:

Thousands of years ago, a quake shook the earth, opening up a chasm into the black planes of existence in the center of our world. From this chasm rose a terrible flying grave titan that swept over the land. Seven priests of Pelor from across the world came and vanquished the beast, sealing the chasm and casting it back down, building a temple over the seal that has been lost to time and the shifting of the lands. Fast forward 10,000 years later, and the PCs have stumbled across this temple. They meet a wizard who had just arrived there with a colleague of hers, somewhere else in the temple. Their job is to search out the magical facets of the world. The PCs traverse through this temple, eventually running into the other wizard, turned evil. He reopens a pathway to the black planes, summoning the titan once again. Barely escaping with their lives, the PCs flee the place with the original wizard who transports them to a magical tower that is their home base. She goes over the history with them and they eventually learn they need to find the "totems" (spell foci) of these long dead seven priests, because they still hold an incredible power and can be used to reseal the titan inside. All seven priests were converted after suffering a near-death experience. They lived separate, not-so-holy lives before the priesthood. Their totems are physical items related to this previous life they held, so that they would never forget where they came from and why they converted kind of thing.

Phew, ok. So each story arc is going to have the PCs travel to these different worlds to retrieve these totems, all related to the priest's life before they converted. The power of totems have adversely affected the people/things that they encounter. I've got a couple ideas already (Dwarf who used to work in a magical mine, nomad who roamed a desert land, seafaring pirate, etc.) for some of them, but

I just thought I'd throw this out here to see if you guys had any interesting ideas! I'm looking for who was the priest/what happened to make them convert/what is their totem?

Thanks in advance!

Sir cryosin
2017-02-17, 04:44 PM
OK I'm having a hard time reading this. What no you me by converted what were they converted to or from?

dickerson76
2017-02-17, 04:57 PM
Alright bear with me for a general summary of where my head is at:

Thousands of years ago, a quake shook the earth, opening up a chasm into the black planes of existence in the center of our world. From this chasm rose a terrible flying grave titan that swept over the land. Seven priests of Pelor from across the world came and vanquished the beast, sealing the chasm and casting it back down, building a temple over the seal that has been lost to time and the shifting of the lands. Fast forward 10,000 years later, and the PCs have stumbled across this temple. They meet a wizard who had just arrived there with a colleague of hers, somewhere else in the temple. Their job is to search out the magical facets of the world. The PCs traverse through this temple, eventually running into the other wizard, turned evil. He reopens a pathway to the black planes, summoning the titan once again. Barely escaping with their lives, the PCs flee the place with the original wizard who transports them to a magical tower that is their home base. She goes over the history with them and they eventually learn they need to find the "totems" (spell foci) of these long dead seven priests, because they still hold an incredible power and can be used to reseal the titan inside. All seven priests were converted after suffering a near-death experience. They lived separate, not-so-holy lives before the priesthood. Their totems are physical items related to this previous life they held, so that they would never forget where they came from and why they converted kind of thing.

Phew, ok. So each story arc is going to have the PCs travel to these different worlds to retrieve these totems, all related to the priest's life before they converted. The power of totems have adversely affected the people/things that they encounter. I've got a couple ideas already (Dwarf who used to work in a magical mine, nomad who roamed a desert land, seafaring pirate, etc.) for some of them, but

I just thought I'd throw this out here to see if you guys had any interesting ideas! I'm looking for who was the priest/what happened to make them convert/what is their totem?

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting stuck at "The power of totems have adversely affected the people/things that they encounter." Are you talking about what happened to the totem after the priests resealed the titan?

Baker/Master poisoner; Someone find out what he was doing and sold his wife some of their own poisoned goods. He watches his family choke to death but recognizes what is going on and is able to vomit up enough that he survives; totem is a rolling pin

Mason; Worked construction. Took side money to dispose of bodies in new construction projects he was working. Near-death when one of his projects collapses on him due to weakened structure from void with a corpse in it.; totem is a trowel

Foxhound438
2017-02-17, 07:41 PM
Human child kidnapped and enslaved by drow, terrified living in the underdark; crew of adventurers walk by, one being a cleric, kid hides. Cleric guy happens to notice the kid (thanks, wis mod to perception checks), rather than telling the rest of his crew and trying to coax the kid out, he casts continual flame on a pebble and leaves it behind, along with some food, water, and a holy text of pelor. Kid takes the book and rock after eating, spends a few years trying to navigate the twisting paths of the underdark, having by the time he leaves the place prayed and studied enough to earn the right to be a cleric of pelor.

Drackolus
2017-02-17, 09:30 PM
A reckless human necromancer, who lost the love of his life to undead he lost control over. He realized too late just how dangerous the undead are, and took up a worship of Pelor to fight the undead. His totem could be an arcane focus or spellbook.

JaggedSun
2017-02-18, 07:59 AM
OK I'm having a hard time reading this. What no you me by converted what were they converted to or from?

I mean converted as in from a life of sin, they chose to commit their life to good as payment for being saved.

JaggedSun
2017-02-18, 08:00 AM
I'm getting stuck at "The power of totems have adversely affected the people/things that they encounter." Are you talking about what happened to the totem after the priests resealed the titan?

Baker/Master poisoner; Someone find out what he was doing and sold his wife some of their own poisoned goods. He watches his family choke to death but recognizes what is going on and is able to vomit up enough that he survives; totem is a rolling pin

Mason; Worked construction. Took side money to dispose of bodies in new construction projects he was working. Near-death when one of his projects collapses on him due to weakened structure from void with a corpse in it.; totem is a trowel

I was thinking that the power of totems come from the sin of their life before. Only they were able to wield the totems without succumbing to their hidden evil power.

Thanks for the ideas!

JaggedSun
2017-02-18, 08:01 AM
A reckless human necromancer, who lost the love of his life to undead he lost control over. He realized too late just how dangerous the undead are, and took up a worship of Pelor to fight the undead. His totem could be an arcane focus or spellbook.

Love this!