PDA

View Full Version : Story Points (DM suggestions)

RumoCrytuf
2017-02-17, 04:59 PM
Heyo Playgrounders,

Have you ever had one of those moments crucial to your characters story, an epic moment when they deliver an awesome monologue before trying something even more awesome, only to roll a natural 1 on the attack (Or skill check if your DM plays that way) and ruin the moment? I propose a solution to that: Story Points.

During a session, each player has 1 Story Point. If a moment comes when your character wants to do something awesome that befits their character and they fail the roll required to do it, they may use their Story Point to automatically succeed. It should go without saying that said story point usage is subjective to the DM. So as to prevent players wasting it or trying to sham their way out of a situation.

What do you all think?

Zombimode
2017-02-17, 05:26 PM
This is backwards. The story emerges from what happens in the game, not the other way arround.

Deleted
2017-02-17, 06:47 PM
This is backwards. The story emerges from what happens in the game, not the other way arround.

Meh, either way can work.

Though I think "story points" are a weird way of doing it, just sandbox it and take what they want to do and qeave it I to the plot.

Player "I want to assassinate the king"
DM: Ok...

Later

During a parade the players need to get rid of this mercenary. This merc as it so happens and they learn at the last minute, is going to kill the king.

What does this player do? Do they stop the merc but kill the king? Does he or she just let the king get assassinated? Or does the player realize what a BAD idea that would be and change their minds.

Don't give out points, let a player's actions speak for themselves without magic.

Just make sure they have opportunities to change the world.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-17, 07:48 PM
a pc rolled a one it was on a ranged atack roll and killed my npc with a javelin falling through its head

Gastronomie
2017-02-17, 07:51 PM
Just use inspiration.

Except ignore the stupid "only 1 inspiration at a time per player" rule, allow re-rolling via inspiration after seeing the failed roll, and then all is set.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-17, 09:32 PM
Just use inspiration.

Except ignore the stupid "only 1 inspiration at a time per player" rule, allow re-rolling via inspiration after seeing the failed roll, and then all is set.

Waaaaait a minute... *checks PHB* Ah, PHB doesn't say you'll need to declare inspiration use before the roll. I was afraid I was doing it wrong by allowing it only after seeing the dice... not that I would be changing that "houserule" if that was the case.

Rysto
2017-02-17, 10:23 PM
Giving advantage on a roll implies that you use it before the first roll.

Asmotherion
2017-02-17, 10:55 PM
I like the Inspiration Mechanic. It gives off that feeling. I just allow it to stack, as a bonus for good RP.

TrinculoLives
2017-02-17, 11:55 PM
Perhaps you might be interested in Plot Points from page 269 of the DMG. They allow the players to interject something into the story. It is not auto-success, but gives them more power to be able to affect the game.

pwykersotz
2017-02-18, 12:55 AM
I think in those awesome moments, the DM needs to first decide if a check is even needed. As in, does it even have a possibility of failure anymore? If it still does, then either the DM can grant advantage or the player can use inspiration, which they presumably just got for epic RP. Also, a failure can mean a new twist gets added. My default is that a low check isn't the player doing poorly, it's the circumstances conspiring against them.

Story points as you describe them are dangerous and a little lopsided. If you've already decided there is an interesting cost to failure and they burn advantage and still fail, then that seems like it's better left as it is.

On the other hand, if you make it a choice or make it cost something, that could be interesting. As a metagame reward, it has flexibility. Maybe after game if the story point wasn't used, it expires and the party gets extra exp. Or maybe you can use it, but as one element of the story turns in your favor, another element turns against you.

Kind of. The game doesn't easily allow for certain types of stories to be told. Something like this can be a way to make the game more in-line with what the table wants. Playing out stories with game mechanics is often just justifying a lot of random chance. Sometimes players and the DM want a bit more structure, but don't want to switch systems.