PDA

View Full Version : As cool as Eldritch Blast

tedcahill2
2017-02-17, 05:04 PM
Possible one of the coolest names of any class feature: Eldritch Blast!

I'm working on replacing the sorcerer in my campaign world with a modified Dragonfire Adept, with a bit of Warlock influence. I want to refluff the breath weapon ability of the Dragonfire Adept into something purely arcane sounding. My current go to is simply "Arcane Blast".

Can anyone think of anything cooler sounding than Arcane Blast?

Edit: The refluffed ability won't be a breath weapon, so various plays on breath aren't what I'm looking for.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-17, 05:08 PM
Everything's better with cannons so... Arcannon? Arcane Cannon?

Just to clarify, is this arcane blast going to deal untyped damage?

tedcahill2
2017-02-17, 05:18 PM
Everything's better with cannons so... Arcannon? Arcane Cannon?

Just to clarify, is this arcane blast going to deal untyped damage?

No, at level one the Dragonfire Adept can can fire a 30 ft line or 15ft cone of fire.

I was going to change that to a 5 ft burst of fire damage, usable within a range of 60ft.

Breath effects gained later, starting at level 2, will change the shape and or element of the attack, as well as adding other magically effects.

So it's fire by default, but it can be other things. I don't hate Arcannon, but since gun powder isn't a thing in my campaign, and thus cannons haven't been invested, it doesn't make sense.

mistermysterio
2017-02-17, 05:20 PM
Arcane Conflagration!

*shrug*

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-17, 05:31 PM
Omar-Omi. Oxidation-Mediated Accelerated Reconfiguration of Observed Metabolic Irregularities.

Malimar
2017-02-17, 05:54 PM
I went to look up the translation for "Hadouken", and it turns out it's "Wave Motion Fist", which is a bit less great than I thought, so I don't have much to contribute here after all.

Calthropstu
2017-02-17, 07:00 PM
I went to look up the translation for "Hadouken", and it turns out it's "Wave Motion Fist", which is a bit less great than I thought, so I don't have much to contribute here after all.

Ah, but hadouken sounds amazing.

But here are my contributions:

Sorcerer's Blast.
Elemental Rage.
Force Scream.
Elemental Wave.
Hypersonic Death Scream. Because yeah.
Arcane Belch.
Fart of doom.
Magic Release.
Spell Blast.
Reaper's Call.

Stoic
2017-02-17, 07:34 PM
Arcane Annihilation

Mystic Barrage

remetagross
2017-02-17, 07:39 PM
Arcane Fire,
Mystic Blast,
Scorching Blast,
Arcane Wrath maybe?

Gruftzwerg
2017-02-17, 07:39 PM
how about just simple "Arcane Breath"??

DrMotives
2017-02-17, 08:49 PM
Maybe play into your campaign myths? Like in Forgotten Realms, Mystra is the goddess of magic, so you could name it Mystra's Breath. Pick a source relevant to your campaign, either name it after a god, a legendary hero, or some font of power your rebuilt sorcerers are rumoured to draw from.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-18, 01:31 AM
Arcane Belch.
I love this.

Xarteros
2017-02-18, 02:29 AM
Can anyone think of anything cooler sounding than Arcane Blast?

Just some ideas

Runefire
Mystic Lance
Spellhammer
Soulcannon

AlanBruce
2017-02-18, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of good ideas listed so far. someone suggested you go with a theme using deities or legendary heroes in your setting, which works rather well too.

Here's some suggestions:

Cegilune's Claw

The Antares Needle (works best if you can get precision damage on your EB)

Eldritch Wrath

Thanatos' Arrow

Blasphemous Blast

Zaq
2017-02-18, 09:34 AM
Legend's Arcane Lore track is based around a similar ability (at-will AoE damage as a supernatural ability; low nova potential, but highly reliable, just like a DFA's breath weapon), and I have a hard time believing that one didn't inspire the other. That ability is called Black Tidings. Does that sound cool enough?

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-02-18, 10:21 AM
Fart of doom.

the winner for me..... am i the only one that noticed.

Dragons flame?
Draconic flame?
Dragon's breath?
Dr. Octoganpus blahhh
Roaring flame of (name type of dragon)
Flaming breath of the (name type of dragon)

As for above the name why don't you just make dragonheart mage a class instead of a Prc. what you could do to add to this class is add bonus feats every 3 lvls which can be chosen from metabreath feats, Metamagic feats, or dragonic feats