PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul(new) question

Garfunion
2017-02-17, 06:29 PM
I know it is playtest material but could you switch the divine power source to druidic power source? Meaning the sorcerer can choose spells from the Druid spell list.

Nimlouth
2017-02-17, 06:40 PM
That is called "Homebrewing" I don't see why you couldn't do that, if you think it will work, although the vision of the favored soul from Unhearted Arcana is a more "Holy" and "Celestial" one. If your world features a "Nature Deity/God" this is more than justified tho. :)

Garfunion
2017-02-17, 06:53 PM
I know it is homebrewing, I am just worried that there maybe some druid spells a sorcerer shouldn't have easy access to.

jaappleton
2017-02-17, 07:51 PM
I just compared the Druid, Cleric, and Sorcerer lists.

For anyone curious, http://donjon.bin.sh is a tremendously handy little site for doing things like that, though I wish they'd add the ability to sort by spell damage type and finish up the spell descriptions. But still a great resource!

I don't see any reason why Druid would be a step up in power. Honestly, my personal opinion? It's actually an overall downgrade from the Cleric list, considering you also have full access to the Sorcerer list. Though I certainly understand why you'd want to, for thematic reasons. An Elven Sorcerer with Druid / Sorcerer can feel more thematic than Cleric / Sorcerer, especially with things like Conjure Fey.

Matrix_Walker
2017-02-17, 08:09 PM
The only problem is the stingy nature of access to Shillelagh... Due to it's huge awesomeness.

It's a quick ticket to melee town based on CHA that usually takes a dip for Pact of the Tome or Magical Secrets to get your hands on.

retaliation08
2017-02-17, 08:14 PM
The only problem is the stingy nature of access to Shillelagh... Due to it's huge awesomeness.

It's a quick ticket to melee town based on CHA that usually takes a dip for Pact of the Tome or Magical Secrets to get your hands on.

I totally agree, especially since Quarterstaff is likely already the best melee option you have as a Sorcerer anyway (aside from disengage), and it seems like most DMs let it double as an Arcane focus.

I guess its not really more OP than a 1 level dip in Hexblade Warlock.

Drackolus
2017-02-17, 08:58 PM
I totally agree, especially since Quarterstaff is likely already the best melee option you have as a Sorcerer anyway (aside from disengage), and it seems like most DMs let it double as an Arcane focus.

I guess its not really more OP than a 1 level dip in Hexblade Warlock.

To be fair, disengage is a lot better than melee.
Actually, the dagger is usually better due to using dex, which presumably the sorcerer has. A draconic sorcerer can make great use of one and gfb. Misty step is another good option.
If we're talking about dips, the hexblade is probably better anyway. D8health and medium armor/shields.

Matrix_Walker
2017-02-17, 09:46 PM
We're not talking dip tho, we're discussing it as a bonus to the Sorcerer Spell list, no level investment required. It could still be supplemented with GFB. I think it's kinda OP.

Drackolus
2017-02-17, 10:01 PM
If the only concern you have is is shillelagh, then just rule that they can't take that one.
Spells like Moonbeam and Flaming Sphere give them more ways around action economy, but spiritual weapon does that even more, I suppose.
If the player is single-classed, shillelagh doesn't make them a better one-class gish than a draconic sorcerer with a dagger anyway. You need dex either way, you have to learn AND cast mage armor, and you still do cha mod less damage to your target/s. Granted, shillelagh is 2 more average damage, but that's still less than cha mod. I don't really think that particular part is as strong as the phb option.

jaappleton
2017-02-17, 10:12 PM
Your concern shouldn't be Shillaleigh. It's really not OP in this scenario. There's plenty of other combos that beat it.

The character still needs three attributes. Charisma, Dex and Con.

Paladins can dump Dex and focus on Str, Con and Cha because they have Heavy Armor.

Sorcs don't.

Land Druids still need Wis, Dex and Con. So how is it OP for a Sorc to use Cha, Dex and Con?

The SCAG Cantrips, right? Overrated.

They really are. Why? You're a d6 HD class. And Dex isn't your primary so your AC suffers. Go ahead and wade into Melee and see how far you get with your one swing of a weapon. Yeah, it scales, but if you value your life, you're better off hanging back and churning out Cantrips and quickened Cantrips at range.

Yes, you get the Shield spell, but my wading into Melee you ensure you'll use that spell more often and eat up your resources.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-17, 10:47 PM
Only thing I can think of is increasing the duration of conjure spells

Garfunion
2017-02-18, 01:48 PM
Thank you all for the input. It is always hard to determine what spells could become Over Powered in the hands of the right class.
For my question it seems there will be no major problem with letting favored soul pick spells from the Druid spell list instead of the cleric.

retaliation08
2017-02-18, 01:51 PM
Thank you all for the input. It is always hard to determine what spells could become Over Powered in the hands of the right class.
For my question it seems there will be no major problem with letting favored soul pick spells from the Druid spell list instead of the cleric.

I think that is a fair assessment. And, like with any homebrew, if you find yourself in a situation that is broken then you just make a note of it and revise as necessary :)

Kileonhardt
2017-02-18, 02:53 PM
Only thing I can think of is increasing the duration of conjure spells

This was the first thing I thought of. Extended Conjure spells are pretty good in multi-encounter a day situations.