PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for an opinion on how to read this.

Jmarsh56
2017-02-17, 09:31 PM
At third level, you gain the following ability: A Berserker gains the ability to frenzy as a bonus action. While in a frenzy, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor: you may dash or make a trip attack (you can attempt to knock a large or smaller creature prone) as a bonus action each turn. Make a melee attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage in addition to your normal weapon damage (the damage die increases to 1d8 at level 8, 1d10 at level 12 and 2d6 at level 16) The target must also succeed a strength saving throw versus your DC (8 + STR + your proficiency bonus). Upon failed save the target is knocked prone. The spirit of the wolf makes you a leader of hunters. While in frenzy allies within 10 ft of you gain advantage on attack rolls against creatures within 5ft of you. Your frenzy lasts for 1 minute. Your frenzy ends early if you are knocked unconscious. You can also end your frenzy on your turn as a bonus action. If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while in frenzy.

To me it reads that as long as the character isn't wearing heavy armor he can, as a bonus action each turn trip attack or dash. Then every time you make a melee attack the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage AND must make a strength saving throw or be knocked prone, plus the frenzy aura for allies.

Am I reading that right? Because that seems like its a bit much, or would that be you can enact one of those options per round of combat? Which while still powerful isn't nearly as strong.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-17, 09:50 PM
It does look like you can do all those things, yeah. Definitely much too good for 3rd level. Also quite redundant; you really don't need both "trip attacks" (should be Shove, for what it's worth) and a save-or-be-knocked-down.

Jmarsh56
2017-02-17, 10:16 PM
Well in the homebrew class I pulled this from it is the defining feature for what is essentially the Berserker barbarians version of a frenzied rage. So it is something that can only be done a limited number of times per long rest. I was thinking of maybe one of those options per round instead of possibly all of them and even then make only so many times per long rest.

shuyung
2017-02-18, 01:04 AM
What it looks like to me, is the class gains availability to a particular type of action during their brand of frenzy. You enter frenzy as a bonus action. Then, while frenzied, subsequent round's bonus action may consist of a knockdown attempt (it appears that the decision of what to call it is not firmly decided). I am not sure of the ruleset in play, so that would stand to either limit or not the available bonus action(s). I would assume that, barring evidence to the contrary, in a given round, there is only a single opportunity for a bonus action. This bonus action may be tacked on to a melee attack, and consists of an additional bit of damage, and the force of a saving throw by the target or they become prone. In the event that the character gains the capacity to perform multiple (melee) attacks in a round, they would have to choose which attack receives the bonus action attempt.

In a vacuum, I don't see anything particularly egregious about it.

Jmarsh56
2017-02-18, 05:48 AM
After sleeping on this I came back to check on the topic and I think I have figured out that its just poorly formatted this part right here in particular

or make a trip attack (you can attempt to knock a large or smaller creature prone) as a bonus action each turn. Make a melee attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage in addition to your normal weapon damage (the damage die increases to 1d8 at level 8, 1d10 at level 12 and 2d6 at level 16) The target must also succeed a strength saving throw versus your DC (8 + STR + your proficiency bonus). Upon failed save the target is knocked prone

I think what they mean is that you can dash as a bonus action OR take the trip attack and this is how the trip attack works. Not that you get to add a d6 to every single melee attack thats just for the trip attack, same for the strength save to avoid prone.