PDA

View Full Version : Horse to Warhorse

Esareu
2017-02-17, 10:12 PM
Hello, all.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any rules regarding training a normal Light or Heavy Horse into a corollary type of Warhorse.

I ask, because I was thinking of picking a Heavy Horse as my Animal Companion as a Ranger, and noticed just how much better the Warhorse version is, so if it's possible to train it, I'd like to do so (although I do plan on polymorphing it into a Hippogriff eventually anyways.)

BowStreetRunner
2017-02-17, 11:04 PM
Players Handbook page 75 under the Handle Animal skill. "You may also “upgrade” an animal trained for riding to one trained for combat riding by spending three weeks and making a successful DC 20 Handle Animal check."

AnachroNinja
2017-02-17, 11:18 PM
There's the warbeast template. It's vague on whether it can be applied to animal companions, but it essentially does what your looking for.

InvisibleBison
2017-02-18, 12:07 AM
These animals are similar to heavy horses but are trained and bred for strength and aggression.

Key word bolded. Warhorses are a different breed of horse than workhorses; you can no more train one to be the other than you can train a Dalmatian to be a Great Dane.

Ashtagon
2017-02-18, 07:01 AM
Key word bolded. Warhorses are a different breed of horse than workhorses; you can no more train one to be the other than you can train a Dalmatian to be a Great Dane.

Pretty much this.

Players Handbook page 75 under the Handle Animal skill. "You may also “upgrade” an animal trained for riding to one trained for combat riding by spending three weeks and making a successful DC 20 Handle Animal check."

I take this to mean that all herbivorous animals (including both horses and warhorses) by default will be scared of actual fights and will seek to run away or otherwise avoid the fight (carnivorous animals would by default only stay in a fight if it looks like food will result from the kill). The combat training simply means you can guide them to attack and stay in the fight, over-riding (pun intended) their natural instincts. Warhorses sold by horse traders will normally have such training already. You can't train a horse to be a different breed of horse though.

noce
2017-02-18, 07:40 AM
Not what you asked for, but you could grab a Dire Horse (MM II) at druid level -9.

I know, this requires 20 ranger levels (or a mix of Beastmaster and Natural Bond, or full advancing companion PrCs).

Jay R
2017-02-18, 09:45 AM
Tell the DM what you want and see if she has a suggestion for how to get it.