PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How would you stitch together a cryomancer? (mixing sorc origins need help)

Prince_Vorrel
2017-02-17, 11:31 PM
Basically i want to make a Sorcerer/Warlock who's daddy was a Stygian demon which is how he has then strangely powerful connection to ice that is fueled by his personal wellspring of magic.

For the warlock part im just going fiend pact but pretty much just switching the elements of a few spells around. Because his patron is gonna be his dad who is a ice demon instead of the normal fire one. Otherwise fiend pact works just fine since the low level thing just gives me temp hp when i kill **** (always nice).

The real issue is getting a non-homebrewed sorcerer origin to translate into a proper ice thing. From what ive seen the draconic origin works wonders for the 6th level perk and below. Mechanically it works great and flavor is EASILY adjusted. Just switch the dragon persuasion stuff into Ice creatures. Dragon scales to be shards/sheets of super hard Stygian ice. Elemental Affinity doesn't even need a flavor change or mechanical.

BUUUUUT i run into issues with the level 14 ability and 18.

18 i honestly dont even need to worry about as ill probably never hit max level on this guy AND i might even go 3 levels in lock for the 2 level 2 recharging spell slots instead of level 1. But it IS possible we may hit the mark where i get level 14. What should that ability be? Im going though all the sorcerer origins and trying to steal a level 14 sorcerer ability that isnt too powerful and thematically fitting. I can easily adjust flavor and minor mechanics (like change fire stuff into ice).

Which origin should i steal the level 14 ability from? Also if anyone wants to discuss how to roleplay a ice-demon descended character I would love to do just that! :D

The Ship's dog
2017-02-18, 02:49 AM
In regards to the Sorcererous origin, if you take the Storm Sorcerer level 14 feature 'Storm's Fury' change the damage to cold, the save to Con and the push to Paralyzed for a round then it works really well. An opponent hits you and your PCs father brings vengeful cold to punish them.

In regards to how to rp this kind of PC, does your character explicitly know that they have a Stygian demon father? Would they try to keep away from fire or heat? Do they distrust any Dragonborn that are of a fire type and likewise for Genasi?

Prince_Vorrel
2017-02-18, 01:52 PM
In regards to the Sorcererous origin, if you take the Storm Sorcerer level 14 feature 'Storm's Fury' change the damage to cold, the save to Con and the push to Paralyzed for a round then it works really well. An opponent hits you and your PCs father brings vengeful cold to punish them.

In regards to how to rp this kind of PC, does your character explicitly know that they have a Stygian demon father? Would they try to keep away from fire or heat? Do they distrust any Dragonborn that are of a fire type and likewise for Genasi?

Hmmm that could work. it's a good ability defensively but not overly powerful to raise eyebrows from the dm.

Im gonna go with no on the stygian demon father right off the bat. We are starting at level one so im gonna have the reveal be for him when he starts taking his warlock levels (at level 7). Basically his patron is gonna be his father who less fuels my characters powers and more is trying to help him draw out his demonic blood/power (aka all the darker powers warlocks get). The deal is to basically try and further the goals of stygia in the material plane while deepening my own connection to it (winter is coming).

I would imagine heat/fire would be awfully unpleasant especially at earlier levels when he's weaker. And yea he be un-trusting naturally to any naturally fire using species and very eager to kill anything fire related (fire elementals ect.)

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-18, 09:09 PM
How about pick Kaladesh Sorcerous Origin: Pyromancer, call it Cryomancer and replace everything related to Fire/Heat with things related to Ice/Cold.