PDA

View Full Version : What's skills represent better a Samurai/Shogun?

Ryuu Hayato
2017-02-17, 11:59 PM
As title said, what's skills represent better a Samurai/Shogun leader on 5e? I can only choose 5.

I'm doubt in: Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Persuation.

toapat
2017-02-18, 12:22 AM
that depends, how much do you want to go "accurate" because you could probably trade that second skill proficiency you find excess after History for Proficiency: Artisan's Tools: Calligrapher's Supplies. alternatively just pick up Athletics

Ryuu Hayato
2017-02-18, 11:23 AM
I'm in between Athletics, History, Intimidation, Perception, Persuation or Athletics, History, Insight, Perception, Persuation.

What is best for a samurai: Intimidation or Insight?

Spellbreaker26
2017-02-18, 11:29 AM
What is best for a samurai: Intimidation or Insight?

If you're going for how historical samurai would be most likely to act, Intimidation.
If you're going for how samurai are traditionally portrayed, Insight.

Fishyninja
2017-02-18, 11:38 AM
My two pence:

Athletics
Insight
Intimidation
Animal Handling (They did use cavalry tactics)
History

Drackolus
2017-02-18, 11:43 AM
I would actually drop history and take persuasion AND intimidation.
Or maybe drop persuasion. Unless you want to be Kenshin, but he was technically a ronin. :smallwink:
Not all samurai were the same people. Maybe history just didn't quite stick in the long run.

Fishyninja
2017-02-18, 12:07 PM
I see a lot of persuasion being mentioned. I mean it's a great skill and don't get me wrong I am sure they could be quiet persuasvie but I would assume the Samurai's Lord would have to be the persuasive one, not the samurai themselves?

toapat
2017-02-18, 12:49 PM
I would actually drop history and take persuasion AND intimidation.
Or maybe drop persuasion. Unless you want to be Kenshin, but he was technically a ronin. :smallwink:
Not all samurai were the same people. Maybe history just didn't quite stick in the long run.

for how terrible history is as a skill (its most important value is to trapping because it consumed Architecture and Engineering from 3.5), it was a big deal to know your history in Japan, because like all of the Chinese descendant territories, they became extremely rooted in the idea that history, tradition, and respecting the ancestors were the proper path in life.

I see a lot of persuasion being mentioned. I mean it's a great skill and don't get me wrong I am sure they could be quiet persuasvie but I would assume the Samurai's Lord would have to be the persuasive one, not the samurai themselves?

i really dont see persuasion involved in anything but the Shogun's skillset, and the Intimidate Skill doesnt seem appropriate either since it never really was a thing in the period from which Samurai are from.

now, assuming they are using the Fighter (Samurai) class, i dont know what they chose as background or race ,but for Fighter class skills i would take Athletics and Animal Handling for the lvl 1 class skills and history for the lvl 3 class feature

Spellbreaker26
2017-02-18, 01:17 PM
the Intimidate Skill doesnt seem appropriate either since it never really was a thing in the period from which Samurai are from.

A samurai for a long time had the legal right to straight up execute peasants they thought weren't being respectful enough. I'd say that intimidation fits into the historical reality of Samurai (if not the portrayal in modern media, which is often what people would prefer to go for).

Drackolus
2017-02-18, 01:20 PM
for how terrible history is as a skill (its most important value is to trapping because it consumed Architecture and Engineering from 3.5), it was a big deal to know your history in Japan, because like all of the Chinese descendant territories, they became extremely rooted in the idea that history, tradition, and respecting the ancestors were the proper path in life.

i really dont see persuasion involved in anything but the Shogun's skillset, and the Intimidate Skill doesnt seem appropriate either since it never really was a thing in the period from which Samurai are from.

now, assuming they are using the Fighter (Samurai) class, i dont know what they chose as background or race ,but for Fighter class skills i would take Athletics and Animal Handling for the lvl 1 class skills and history for the lvl 3 class feature

I guess I need to brush up on my history skill. :smallbiggrin:
Oh yeah, you could have them all. Just looked at it though, and it's history, insight, or persuasion at level 7. Still, unless you were counting that already, you could eventually have all of them. I was assuming you got to 5 by being vuman.

Fishyninja
2017-02-18, 06:48 PM
Animal Handling
Thank you! Cavalry People!

Logosloki
2017-02-18, 09:05 PM
Animal handling, athletics, history, religion and either intimidation, persuasion or insight.@ For thematics calligraphy tools, a musical instrument or game set (shogi).

Cl0001
2017-02-18, 10:51 PM
It really depends if you want to be historically correct or go by their typical portrayals. If you want to be historically correct, You'd need heavy armor, proficiency in spears, bows, and katanas (and you'd use them in that order), then proficiency in intimidation, athletics, religion. You'd also be cutting off all of your enemies heads and turning them in for money. If you want the romanticized version, youlll want heavy armor, a katana then a bunch of charisma profencies. Either way, I can see Paladins or fighters being the best class.