PDA

View Full Version : Curious Character Creation Rules - What Would You Make?

Dromuthra
2017-02-18, 02:28 AM
Howdy all! I'm starting up a short game with some friends soon, and the DM has put together an interesting set of rules for character creation. We're 16th level slaves to a pit-fiend, charged with solving a problem in exchange for our freedom. This is intended to be largely a social one-shot, though killing is definitely possible (though pure combat is discouraged by the rest rules below). I've already built my character, but I'm curious as to what others would do given the rules presented.

Rules
1. A Short Rest is one day, and a Long Rest is three days.
2. You have godlike stats - I won't get into the rolling of it, but assume your lowest will be a 16 after rolls and you might have a 20 before racial bonuses kick in. (For those interested, it was 6d4, reroll all 1s, reroll your first 2, drop the lowest)
3. You can't have more than 10 levels in any single spellcaster class, and you can't get spells higher than 5th level. You CAN have spell slots of higher than 5th level, if you want.
4. You get 3 bonus skill/tool proficiencies.
5. All books (SCAG, Elemental Evil, etc.), UA and all variant rules available (Including Artificer class if you want it). Banned: Lore Wizard, Favored Soul Sorcerer, Gunslinger archetype for Artificer.
6. Double the number of 1st level spell slots your class has.
7. Twice as many spells prepared (for prepared casters), +10 spells known for spontaneous casters.

I decided to throw together an Oathbreaker 7/Fiend Tomelock 9, a true servant of Asmodeous mixed in with the party. For those who are familiar with Neil Gaimon's Sandman, I'll be playing her akin to the representative of Chaos from when Lucifer gave Dream the Key to Hell.

Anyhow, what would you people make?

djreynolds
2017-02-18, 02:52 AM
I wouldn't change stuff too much

fighter, monks, and warlocks need their short rests

What I have tried and it worked, is the game says you have 6-8 encounters a day, could be combat or navigating or exploring... but they use up resources.. anyhow we decided to make all characters long rest dependent

So we basically multiplied all short rest powers by 3

So a monk would have at 11th level 11 KI points, now 33 but only recharged on a long rest.

A battlemaster would have 4 SD, instead 12 but recharged on a long rest

Same with channel divinity and arcane recovery

This helped equalize classes if you only preferred to run a long rest variant and now for rolling hit die we said everyone could have a 5 minute breather 3 times day, to roll for hit points. Important, because now the cleric doesn't have to use all his spells for out of combat healing

For rolling stats, I get it if you want to play power game.... but what I did is as the DM a rolled the dice... say it was 18/16/15/14/13/13... this was now everyone's standard array... everyone is still equal and everyone can multiclass without issue and everyone can have a 20 right away in their main stat

Foxhound438
2017-02-18, 03:39 AM
with "godlike" stats I'd probably be tempted to go something like cleric 10/ sorcerer 6. Subclasses probably dependent on what exactly I expected to see. General choice would probably be light cleric/ shadow sorc (what is this, kingdom hearts? 2005 called, they want their edgy ass light+dark gimmick back).

If I expected to be the face, however, definitely lore bard/GOO warlock with things like message and sending to persuade things with +15 persuasion while they don't even know who's talking to them. Push comes to push again because it didn't work the first time and I break out the suggestion.

Edit: take friends on that second one for advantage on top of your +15 to persuade things, as well as a few rogue levels to ensure that you can hide easily and efficiently between telepathic mind games.

Dromuthra
2017-02-18, 06:39 AM
Ah, sorry for any confusion - I'm a player in this game; the DM came up with the rules. I just found it a curious build experiment, and was wondering what other people might do in similar circumstances. :smallbiggrin:

That cleric/sorcerer sounds fun.

Sans.
2017-02-18, 06:23 PM
Excuse my rambling, just thinking.

So, in combat, any viable builds would definitely rely on at-will attacks, cantrips, etc. I thought healing would be a problem, but with 8*9.5 = 76hp healable between long rests at level 3 with just level 1 slots, it seems manageable. You could basically take 4 feats if they're allowed, because the stats are honestly good enough as they are.

I really want to do a grappling Bladesinger 9/Open Hand Monk 7, for maximum MADness. :smallbiggrin:

coredump
2017-02-18, 08:08 PM
I would be tempted to look at Rogue or champion, since they don't care about rests.

maybe warlock or battlemater.... since they are strong at will, and don't care about long rests

CaptainSarathai
2017-02-18, 08:34 PM
LoreBard 10, Rogue 6 or Sorc 6

Rogue gets you a little more use in Combat, and Expertise, which is fun at L16 with massive stat bonuses on top.
Sorc gets you Metamagic. That's gonna be Subtle Spell and Quicken Spell, go Dragon, and use Green Flame Blade for giggles.

No reason a Lore Bard wouldn't be a social nightmare for your DM.

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-18, 08:52 PM
Yuan-ti Pureblood Outlander Totem Barbarian (Bear, Bear, Wolf) for the cheese!

CantigThimble
2017-02-18, 09:07 PM
I'd go Warlock (hexblade) 2/Oathbreaker 7/Rogue 7 (Either assassin or swashbuckler). By limiting your warlock levels to 2 you get to take advantage of the doubled 1st level spell slots. Hexblade lets you have a maxed charisma and basically nothing else. Rogue gives you sweet pointy death, mobility and defensive abilities that never get depleted. Assassin lets you blow up the entire world with your crits, swashbuckler gives reliable sneak attack.

gfishfunk
2017-02-18, 09:36 PM
Rogue Bard mix for as many expert skills as possible. Especially if it is non-combat. Bard spells and illusion spells are probably best