PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Help Creating DRAGONS for 3e/3.5e Use

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 04:18 AM
I am embarked on a big undertaking and need some crowdsourced brain-sweat.

Some of you (like me) LOVE dragons... and some of you know the system well enough to help me with building some interesting dragons to populate my database. This database will feed a fantastic new ONLINE D&D module where you can login as your favorite PC, join a party at the local tavern, review a story about a dragon located nearby, and set for to try to defeat the beast in the company of other great heroes.

It is meant to be a BRUTAL experience, we are designing several lairs for each type of dragon, looking to give these (intelligent) creatures proper advantages in their own lair, and certain surprises for the party who would intrude. Likewise we are creating some alternate non-lair encounter zones to feed the option that the dragon spots the party en-route to the lair.... Yea, we want to have some serious dragon-fighting fun here.

To do this, we need some dragons built - from the tiniest hatchling through the most ancient worm (levels 1 through 60 development of each type of dragon; and we need several unique variations of each type in this manner).

WE NEED YOUR HELP to realize our dream of building this uber-fun dragon-fighting online D&D module - you know who you are; you know the D&D 3e 3.5e system fairly well and have a love of dragons. You could see yourself plotting the 'lifetime' of a dragon's development from hatchling to their most ancient state; this would entail leveling-up the creature starting from level one and incrementally each level after that through and including level sixty.

Why do we need so many dragons? So we can keep it exciting!

PLAYERS will start by selecting their PC of any level, then that PC is injected into the game, entering a tavern setting where they can chat with other PCs seeking out a suitable group to form a PARTY. The PARTY will be able to select the type and age of the dragon they will fight BUT we want there to be some surprises involved so we need several examples of each type of dragon to give that variation we seek.

How about it, are you willing to build a dragon for our battle testing? If so sound off in this thread!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

(we really do need YOUR help)

Bullet06320
2017-02-18, 06:54 AM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/wn
Wyrms of the North Archive
plenty of material here you can use and adapt to your needs

Tiri
2017-02-18, 08:40 AM
I enjoy building monsters in general, so I'll happily build a dragon or two for you.

Possibly even more, if my things-to-do-list manages to shorten itself soon.

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 01:20 PM
Wyrms of the North Archive
plenty of material here you can use and adapt to your needs

Thank you much. I will keep that link handy just in case.

If I need a few to round out the bunch I may look there. The problem with that data is, I have to spend time reading large articles then massaging it into a useful shape. My time is best spent on the programming rather than data creation/editing hence I'm seeking help with the data side. It may well be faster to create them from scratch than to adapt them from (potentially other) versions of D&D.

Afgncaap5
2017-02-18, 01:22 PM
I don't know if I'll have time to make a full dragon for you, but I'll see if I can find an old monster I made. Basically a classic "Monster haunting a lake, breathing poison" style dragon from fairy tales, CR 3-ish. Might be a little low for you if you're looking for a brutal experience, but I imagine in large numbers they'd be a challenge even for high level players.

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 01:25 PM
I enjoy building monsters in general, so I'll happily build a dragon or two for you.

Possibly even more, if my things-to-do-list manages to shorten itself soon.

THANK YOU!!!

Here is the details on what it is we are needing....

http://aldohral.forumotion.com/t2388-the-dragon-project-re-envisioning-dragons-for-argentum-regio

HAHA HA! It let me add the URL at last. Hooray.

We are seeking the illustration of the creature from hatchling to ancient - so that we can scale the challenge to the level of and number in the party.

flappeercraft
2017-02-18, 01:30 PM
Currently I'm on a break and away from my laptop as I left it home, only able to post this due to my phone so I can't make one right now. I'm going to be home by monday so by then I will startvworking on one and Edit it onto this post. Ill make at least 1 dragon with all age categories, maybe 2 or even 3.

To create:
1. Origin Dragon (Has all breathweapons and casts as higher level Arcane and Divine caster)
2. Absorption Dragon (Absorbs the abilities and knowledge of creatures he slays)

Death Dragon
Type: Dragon
Environment: Negative energy Plane and Deep Underground (Drow look like Surface dwellers deep)
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: Wyrmling 6; very young 7; young 9; juvenile 12; young adult 15; adult 17; mature adult 20; old 22; very old 23; ancient 25; wyrm 26; great wyrm 28
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: Wyrmling 8-9 HD; very young 11-12 HD; young 14-15 HD; juvenile 17-18 HD; young adult 20-21 HD; adult 23-24 HD; mature adult 26-27 HD; old 29-30 HD; very old 32-33 HD; ancient 35-36 HD; wyrm 38-39 HD; great wyrm 41+ HD
Level Adjustment: Wyrmling +4; very young +5; young +6; others —
A Death dragon is in many ways similarly looking to a Shadow Dragon, the main difference is not their appearance but instead its abilities, they are similar to Red dragons on their physical and mental capacities. It is rumored that the Death dragons are a breed between Shadow dragons and Red dragons that was conceived on the Negative energy plane. Whether it is true or not is unknown and all divinations are either foiled or slowly start to drive the casters insane

(Stats on Red Dragon are the same as for the Death Dragon on the Red Dragons by age table, on Red Dragon abilities by age it is the same except for the Special abilities and casting domain spells as a cleric can. DR remains the same as an exception.)

Combat

Vulnerability to Positive energy (Ex) (Acquired at Birth)
A Death Dragon that is target of a Positive energy effect is not healed but does not take damage, instead he is dazed for 1 round if he does not succeed a Fortitude save DC equal to the healing the spell would have caused -10. Spell resistance that negates spells with positive energy protects him from the need to do the save.

Breath weapon (Su) (Acquired at Birth)
A Death Dragon has a Cone Shaped Breath weapon that extends for up to 60ft, for all effects treat it as a Cloudkill spell at CL equal to double their age category stage. The Breath weapon works regardless of if the CL is lower than the needed to cast Cloudkill. A difference from a Cloudkill spell, immunity to poison does not negate the constitution damage but instead halves it and instead of causing 1d4 Constitution damage, it deals 1 Con damage per age category stage.

Negative Infusion (Ex) (Acquired at Young age category)
Due to being deeply infused with Negative energy since birth, all Death dragon natural weapons deal an additional 8 Negative energy damage per hit regardless of age category. Negative energy heals Death dragons like it does undead and they are immune to Death effects. Death dragons can suppress and resume the ability to deal negative energy on attacks, as a free action that does not cause an attack of opportunity.

Absorption (Su) (Acquired at birth)
When a Death Dragon has absorbed at least 50 points of negative energy healing, he is affected as if by a haste spell for the next 10 minutes. Being on the Negative energy plane also triggers this.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-02-18, 01:40 PM
Multiheaded Black Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?348374-Optimizing-excercise-Let-s-optimize-a-Dragon#28)

Shadow Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?348374-Optimizing-excercise-Let-s-optimize-a-Dragon#11)

Volcanic Dragon Lair (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322346-Volcanic-mountain-cavern-style-dungeon-as-red-dragon-lair#2) (does not contain an actual dragon)

Note that old posts with links to www.wizards.com need to be switched to archive.wizards.com to work.

Ruethgar
2017-02-18, 02:12 PM
Blasted Mythweavers ****ed up all of my sheets. But I do have the outline of a personal favorite of mine.

Awakened Lizard Mineral Warrior
E6 Blood3/Sct1/CMk2/Rng2/UnT(CMk)1

Flaw: Body Pouch
Flaw: Dragon Wings
First: Hidden Talent(Create Earth)
Third: Two Weapon Fighting
Blood: Sculpt Self
Sct: Rapid Reload
CMk: Stunning Fist
CMk: Boomerang Daze, Psionic Talent
Sixth: Extra Stunning
Rng: Psionic Talent
Rng2: Psionic Talent
Ninth: Swift Hunter

He isn't actually a dragon, but lizard with dragon wings and an Aptitude Sandblaster "breath weapon" via Sculpt Self and able to make some lovely armor, only +2 AC but +10 move silently and +10 hide in desert and +5 spikes and razors, disintegrates after a few days so not actual loot. He's also able to make significant quantities of sand(5x5x2(lvl?) blocks of it) and half that of stone or other earth, including Shapesand, Slip Sand, Black Sand, Temporal Sand, and Liquid Stone.

Anyway, he's a 6ft long tiny lizard with a burrow speed. So, create sand, burrow for Improved Cover and +20 to hide as he blasts you to the nine hells with skirmish sand blaster that stuns and dazes. And if you force him above ground, windstorms of temporal sand rending the flesh as he maneuvers happily in the sky taking no damage from it and blasting you more. And if forced into melee he can shred you with his serrated armor.

His lair would be a desert cave with soft sand and slip sand galore as well as secret tunnels to let him move around freely and sense you with his 20ft blind sense. Shape sand floor holding back a pit trap or holding up a black sand deposit, so many fun things.
If you want more details do ask and I'll put together a proper sheet. If you only want the giant true dragons, then I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-02-18, 02:36 PM
Here's one I created for someone a loooong time ago:

Sslivorix, the Serpent Prince (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?94139-Why-Did-It-Have-To-Be-Snakes!-!-3-5e#9)
CR 20 demon-dragon
Sslivorix, the Serpent Prince
In the toxic swamps of the 872nd layer of the Abyss a marilith hid a clutch of eggs, fathered by a dragon which had ascended to deific power. Each of the creatures which hatched from them immediately began attempting to destroy the others to achieve dominance, leaving only three survivors who soon after parted ways. Each took a portion of the swamp to rule, and as they grew the three constantly fought with each other. The strongest of the three, Sslivorix, managed to drive his siblings away and became the ruler of the layer. Centuries later, the other two returned together and defeated him in a close battle, after which he retreated to the material plane. Rumor has it that the stronger of those two devoured the other and still rules the 872nd layer of the Abyss. The mighty Sslivorix, shamed and angered by his defeat, he still walks the material plane, venting his anger on any creature he finds. Most recently he has attracted several Yuan-Ti followers who raid humanoid settlements to bring him treasure, slaves, and sacrifices.

Sslivorix
Huge Dragon (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Shapechanger, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice 24d12+168
Hit Points 336
Initiative +5
Speed 60 ft., Fly 160 ft. Poor, Swim 60 ft.
Armor Class 33 (-2 size, +5 dex, +20 natural), touch AC 13, flat-footed AC 27
Base Attack/Grapple +24/+42
Attack* Bite +37, 2d8+15 plus poison
Full Attack* Bite +37, 2d8+15 plus poison, and 2 claws +35, 2d6+10 plus poison, and 2 wings +35, 1d8+10, and tail slap +35 2d8+20
Space/Reach 15 ft./10 ft. (bite 15 ft.)
Special Attacks Breath Attack, Spells, Spell-Like Abilities, Poison, Improved Grab, Constrict 2d8+10, Swallow Whole, Summon Serpents, Rage, Frightful Presence
Special Qualities Alternate Form, Swarm Discorporation, Damage Reduction 10/Epic and Cold Iron and Good, Spell Resistance 30, Darkvision 120', Low-Light Vision (x4 as dragons), Blindsense 60 ft., Immunity to Electricity, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, and Fear, Resist Acid 10, Cold 10, and Fire 10, Telepathy 100 ft.
Saves Fort +21 Ref +19 Will +19
Abilities Str 31, Dex 21, Con 24, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 31
Skills Listen +32, Spot +32, Search +32, Hide +24, Move Silently +32, Bluff +37, Disguise +37 (+39 acting in character), Concentration +34, Spellcraft +34, Knowledge: Arcana +23, Knowledge: the Planes +23, Sense Motive +23
Feats Multisnatch (B), Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Greater Dispel Magic, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Vampiric Touch, Maximize Spell-Like Ability: Vampiric Touch, Recover Breath x5 (Draco), Quicken Breath (Draco)
Environment
Organization Solitary or Court (Sslivorix and 2-5 Fiendish Legendary Snakes (MM2), 2-13 Yuan-Ti Purebloods, 2-5 Yuan-Ti Halfbloods, and 2-4 Yuan-Ti Abominations)
Challenge Rating 20
Treasure Triple Standard
Alignment Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement —
Level Adjustment —
*Sslivorix continually uses his Greater Magic Fang spell-like ability to give each of his natural weapons a +5 Enhancement bonus.

Sslivorix would appear as an enormous, slender snake if not for his finlike wings and short legs. His scales are a dark green with patches of brown, his wings are darker shades of brown and green, and his belly is a dark olive green. He speaks and understands any known language, and his natural weapons count as Evil, Chaotic, Magic, and Epic for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. He is capable of breathing both air and water.

Combat
Sslivorix primarily uses melee attacks to defeat his opponents, combining quickened breath attacks and spell-like abilites with full-attacks when he can. He is completely fearless,

Poison (Ex): Injury, Claws and Bite, Fort DC 29, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con. When in a Rage the DC increases to 33.

Breath Attack (Su): Sslivorix has two types of breath attacks, a Line of Acid 100 ft. long dealing 10d10 Acid damage (Ref DC 29 half), and a 50 ft. Cone of poisonous vapors which deals 1d6 Wisdom damage (Fort DC 29 negates); anyone who takes this Wisdom damage must then make a DC 29 Will save or be Dazed for 1d6+3 rounds. He must wait 1d4 rounds after using a breath attack to do so again. When Sslivorix is in a Rage these DCs each increase to 33. He always uses it Quickened, and due to his multiple instances of Recover Breath he need only wait until the next round if he rolls 1 or 2 on 1d4, he must wait until the second round after breathing if he rolls 3, or he must wait until the third round later on a roll of 4.

Improved Grab (Ex): Any time Sslivorix hits a creature at least one size category smaller than himself with a bite or tail slap attack he can immediately attempt to start a grapple without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If he gets a hold, he immediately begins constricting them. He typically takes the option of holding a victim while not being considered grappled himself, in which case his grapple checks only suffer a -10 penalty instead of the standard -20 due to his Multisnatch bonus feat.

Swallow Whole (Ex): If Sslivorix grabs a creature in his mouth, he can attempt to swallow the victim whole on the next round by making a successful grapple check. Once swallowed, the victim takes 2d8+5 bludgeoning damage and 2d8 acid damage each round from Sslivorix's gullet, and is always within the area of his breath attack, in which case it automatically fails its Reflex save against his acid breath attack. A swallowed creature can attempt a Grapple or Escape Artist check to move into his mouth, in which case they're still grappled, or they may attempt to cut their way free with a light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing at least 48 damage to his gullet (AC 22). Once freed a muscular action closes the hole so another swallowed victim must cut its own way out. Sslivorix's gullet can hold one Large, two Medium, four Small, eight Tiny, or sixteen Diminutive or smaller creatures.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Whenever Sslivorix attacks, charges, enters a Rage, or flies overhead, any creature within 180 ft. with 23 or fewer Hit Dice must succeed on a DC 32 Will save or become Panicked for 4d6 rounds (4 or fewer HD) or Shaken for 4d6 rounds (5 or more HD). A creature who makes the save is immune to Sslivorix's Frightful Presence for 24 hours. This is also active if he activates Rage while in an alternate form.

Rage (Ex): Sslivorix may enter a state of rage whenever he chooses, but it also automatically triggers whenever he drops below 85 hit points or loses control of his actions by means of a mind-affecting effect. While in a Rage, he gains +8 Str and Con, +4 to his Will saves, and Fast Healing 6, while suffering a -2 AC penalty for the duration. Upon entering a rage he immediately gets to make a second save, with the bonuses for raging applied, to end any mind-affecting effects currently on him even if they normally wouldn't allow a saving throw, and any mind-affecting effects remaining are temporarily supressed for the duration of the rage, which also counts against the duration of the effect. A rage lasts 14 rounds or until his current hit points rise above 85, whichever is longer, and he may not end it voluntarily. While raging he may not use any spells or spell-like abilities and gains the benefits of the Diehard feat. Rage may be voluntarily activated once per encounter and he suffers no ill effects afterward (i.e. no fatigue).

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will: Charm Animal (reptilian animals only) (DC 21), Spike Growth (DC 23), Vampiric Touch, Nondetection, Greater Magic Fang, Greater Dispel Magic, Hiss of Sleep (SC) (DC 27), Greater Teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); 3/day: Blasphemy, Black Tentacles (which appear as snakes), Cloudkill (DC 24); 1/day: Evil Glare (SC) (DC 27), Dominate Monster (Dragons, Dragonblooded, and Reptilian creatures only) (DC 29), Destruction (DC 27). Caster Level 20, DC 20 + Spell Level.

Swarm Discorporation (Ex): If an attack would reduce Sslivorix's hit points to an ammount lower than 1, he can automatically attempt a Reflex save (DC equals damage dealt) to break apart into a swarm of scales, automatically negating the attack. The swarm immediately disperses and the parts attempt to escape (Diminutive creatures, immune to physical damage, each with 48 HP, AC 24, touch AC 19, SR 30, fly 80 with good maneuverability, each retains most of his special qualities and skills), and if at least one piece survives Sslivorix reforms 24 hours later at the largest grouping of these pieces with full HP and no ill effects remaining on him.

Alternate Form (Su): Sslivorix can take the form of any humanoid, dragon, monstrous humanoid, or reptilian animal of 24 or fewer Hit Dice whenever he chooses, and may stay in that form indefinitely. Changing form is a move-aciton, and he retains his Rage and Swarm Discorporation abilities and a limited use of his Frightful Presence ability regardless of what form he's in. Any form he's currently in has serpentine teeth and fangs, and if the form normally has a bite attack he retains his ability to deliver poison with each bite while in that form. When used to crate a disguise, this ability grants a +10 Circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.

Summon Serpents (Sp): Once per day Sslivorix can automatically summon 4d6 Fiendish Legendary Snakes (MM2) or one Marilith. This ability is the equivelant of a 9th level spell.

Spells: Sslivorix casts spells as a 17th level Sorcerer. Save DCs are 20 + Spell Level. Spells/day 6/9/9/8/8/8/8/7/5, spells known 9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/2. Each day some of his spells known are randomly determined using the Arcane Scrolls tables on pages 239-241 of the DMG. Any results not appearing on the sorcerer/wizard spell list (i.e. bard spells), or a result of the same spell two or more times, is rerolled. The ammount of spells to be randomly rolled each day is 5/3/3/2/2/2/2/2/1. His remaining spells known of 4/2/2/2/2/2/1/1/1 are as follows:
0- Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand; 1st- Feather Fall, Shield; 2nd- Web, Shatter; 3rd- Greater Mage Armor (SC), Displacement; 4th- Dimensional Anchor, Enervation; 5th- Dismissal, Wall of Force; 6th- True Seeing; 7th- Greater Scrying; 8th- Greater Prying Eyes.

Tactics: Sslivorix is a cunning foe who constantly schemes new ways of enslaving or destroying mortals. A master of subterfuge, he typically gets to know his foes to learn all he can of their strengths and weaknesses before striking. He never openly attacks unless he's sure he can win, and is not above using more subtle means to weaken or defeat an opponent. His only real weaknesses would be his arrogance and sudden unexpected fits of anger, during which he's both capable and willing to destroy an entire community.

Tiri
2017-02-18, 02:37 PM
If you only want the giant true dragons, then I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

This is probably something that needs to be clarified. Does dragon mean 'anything that looks like a dragon', 'a creature of the Dragon type' or 'a True Dragon'?

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 03:30 PM
If you only want the giant true dragons, then I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

At this time, because the focus of the module we are creating is dragon specific we are targeting all the true dragons first, though later we hope to add alternative dragons including an offer of shipboard defense against dragon-turtles!

No offered help will be wasted - we'll archive it all and get to it at the right time. THX!

Bear in mind our goal is to get the creatures detailed from hatchling to ancient wurm, so that we can portray the creature at any stage of its life, rather than do just one 'snapshot' of a creature. So any fully developed types have to be 'reverse leveled' to create the stages from that - it can be done but will entail more work on my end and right now I'm swamped doing the programming for this way-cool dragon-hunting fest of a module. :D

Ruethgar
2017-02-18, 03:45 PM
Would you want to include Tiamat's sister's offspring, Faerunian dragons, the obscure planar dragons, and arcane dragons? RAW they are no longer True since Races of the Dragon but they follow the same pattern.

Also, are there any source limitations we should know about?

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 04:31 PM
Would you want to include Tiamat's sister's offspring, Faerunian dragons, the obscure planar dragons, and arcane dragons? RAW they are no longer True since Races of the Dragon but they follow the same pattern.

Also, are there any source limitations we should know about?

THANK YOU!!!

I lack lore on all the variant dragons that exist, the ones you named among them... so I am uncertain of their utility (though I will review them for possible future inclusion - my personal library is limited and I may or may not find suitable full references).

At present we want to focus on the true dragons, as completing them will be a considerable feat in ittself. Once these are done we hope to add variant dragons, even the dragon-turtle in shipboard defense scenarios, but initially, we want to complete the true dragons.

Here is the details on what it is we are needing....

http://aldohral.forumotion.com/t2388...argentum-regio

Ruethgar
2017-02-18, 06:01 PM
That link only leads to a 404 page.

Alright then so first thing we should probably have is a list of the True Dragons and people claiming them for which ones they are working on so we don't get too many of one type or none of another etc.

MMI: Probably want to do these first at least for a beta build.

Black
Blue
Green
Red
White
Brass
Bronze
Copper
Gold
Silver

MMII:

Amethyst
Crystal
Emerald
Sapphire
Topaz

OA:

Chiang
Li
Wang
Pan
Shen
T'ien
Tun Mi
Yu

Drac: This includes some of the planar dragons and I would suggest that, if they are released at a later date, you do all of them together even though half of them are no longer True Dragons as of the printing of Races of the Dragon.

Battle
Chaos
Ethereal
Fang
Howling
Oceanus
Pyroclastic
Radiant
Rust
Shadow
Styx
Tarterian

RotD: These are in by technicalities, but your choice whether you want to keep them.

Half-Dragon
Dragonwrought Kobold

Drag Mag 356:

Chromium
Cobolt
Iron
Nickel
Tungsten

Penny and Dime Sources:

Incarnum Dragon (MoI)
Prismatic (ELH)
Force (ELH)
Sand (Sand)
Deep (DotU)
Brown (MoF)
Song (MoF)
Time (Drag #359)

Honorable Mention: These dragons were True Dragons before Races of the Dragon was printed.

Mercury (DoF)
Steel (DoF)
Mist (DoF)
Ratterlyr (Shining South)
Amphi (BoK)
Aquatic (BoK)
Fire (BoK)
Frost (BoK)
Sea (Dragonlance: AoM)
Adamantine (Drag #321)
Arboreal (Drag #321)
Axial (Drag #321)
Beast (Drag #321)
Concordant (Drag #321)
Brainstealer (Drag #337)
Greyhawk (Drag #339)
Hex (Drag #343)
Tome (Drag #343)
Astral (Drag #344)
Chole (Drag #344)
Elysian (Drag #344)
Gloom (Drag #344)
Crested Sea Serpent (Drag #345)
Spiny Sea Serpent (Drag #345)
Lantern Sea Serpent (Drag #345)
Orange (Drag Comp)
Purple (Drag Comp)
Yellow (Drag Comp)
Spinewyrm (Dung #110)
Obsidian (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b)

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-18, 07:08 PM
That link only leads to a 404 page.

hmmm try this

http://aldohral.forumotion.com/t2388-the-dragon-project-re-envisioning-dragons-for-argentum-regio?highlight=dragon

As for the rest of that AWESOME list of dragon resources - THANK YOU. I'll file that for later use.

Initially we are limited to true dragons on this project partly because those are the 3d models that we have presently. We are hopeful that our homage to the scaly killers will gain enough attention that we can round out the host of them.

KUDOS you on an excellent resource. thanks for sharing!

Ruethgar
2017-02-18, 08:47 PM
http://aldohral.forumotion.com/t2388-the-dragon-project-re-envisioning-dragons-for-argentum-regio?highlight=dragon

Initially we are limited to true dragons on this project partly because those are the 3d models that we have presently. We are hopeful that our homage to the scaly killers will gain enough attention that we can round out the host of them.

That link works, thank you. From that post I assume you are using NWN as a base but also say that you have the true dragon models already? As I recall NWN only ever had 10 of the 48 true dragons modeled and that appears to be all that you have discussed in the linked post. To clarify, do you want all of the true dragons or only the first ten Monster Manual I true dragons?

Remuko
2017-02-18, 11:40 PM
I checked out the link. Will this only be NWN1 or NWN2 as well or something else? I dont know where my copy of NWN Diamond is anymore and have been playing NWN2 Complete lately and like it a lot. But Ive also heard both games have hardcapped levels at like 40 or something like that. How will that work with 60HD dragons?

DrMotives
2017-02-19, 12:00 AM
Ruethgar, your list is impressive. Might I add just one more source? Dragon #345 has Crested, Spiny, and Lantern Sea Serpents, which are as much true dragons as the Amphi & Sea Dragons from BoK. They are missing casting, like the Planar dragons, but otherwise have all the normal true dragon powers.

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-19, 06:54 AM
That link works, thank you. From that post I assume you are using NWN as a base but also say that you have the true dragon models already? As I recall NWN only ever had 10 of the 48 true dragons modeled and that appears to be all that you have discussed in the linked post. To clarify, do you want all of the true dragons or only the first ten Monster Manual I true dragons?

Specifically, and matching the models we presently have available for NWN we are seeking development of dragon types

BLACK, BLUE, GREEN, RED, WHITE, BRASS, BRONZE, COPPER, GOLD, and SILVER

So, yea, those ten true dragons. ATM we can modify the size of each to suit, our dragons can fly, breathe, sweep with the tail, buffet with the wings, etc.. I've even got a blue dragon that likes to lurk under the surface of a body of water to spring upon the unwary.

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-19, 07:02 AM
I checked out the link. Will this only be NWN1 or NWN2 as well or something else? I dont know where my copy of NWN Diamond is anymore and have been playing NWN2 Complete lately and like it a lot. But Ive also heard both games have hardcapped levels at like 40 or something like that. How will that work with 60HD dragons?

Excellent questions. :D

We build for NWN only, for several reasons. NWN is much easier to build for, as a small team, and we are just two people on this team. NWN2 takes much more work to build a module - and more powerful hardware, I admit being a pauper and having crappy hardware when NWN2 came out. Not much has changed on that score since. lol I _think_ my current rig might handle NWN2 now but I don't even have the game to test that theory with atm. NWN (the original) as a redeeming feature runs on very humble hardware so we hope to attract notebook users as well as home gamers.

Where are you playing NWN2? What server(s) do you frequent? What features do you find most interesting there?

You are correct, for PCs both games are capped at level 40 BUT NPCs can be built, in the toolset, to level 60. I like that as I want my dragons to be (especially at the upper end of 'huge, ancient dragon') awesome. :D

Killdread
2017-02-19, 08:17 AM
Alright, I've got an idea for a dragon, but based on what i've read of your current setup and limitations i'm afraid it won't be of much use to you for a while, though i suppose it could use the gold dragon model.

In any case here's a bit of the idea for it, an Encrusted Dragon, one that has sat and built and eaten it's hoard of gold and gems for so long it's scales are hidden, it's wings are atrophied from lack of use because it's far too heavy, and even it's breath weapon has been changed from it's overeating and extreme greed for material wealth and now it can only breath out streams of molten gold or prismatic sprays of magical light refracted through the hundreds of gems embedded in it's throat.

I think it's a type of dragon that could only be Young Adult or older, won't be able to fly or use wing attacks, probably have some unique abilities to do with magic, maybe some damage reduction instead of any immunities, definitely it would have more charisma than your average dragon because of it's massive amount of shiny, and an inability to swim though it might still have water-breathing.

If anybody wants me to I can take a few to stat it out into a pastebin tomorrow.

Remuko
2017-02-19, 12:39 PM
Excellent questions. :D

Where are you playing NWN2? What server(s) do you frequent? What features do you find most interesting there?

You are correct, for PCs both games are capped at level 40 BUT NPCs can be built, in the toolset, to level 60. I like that as I want my dragons to be (especially at the upper end of 'huge, ancient dragon') awesome. :D

GoG is how/where I have the game. I havent downloaded the thing needed to actually connect to online servers yet but I'm just loving the campaigns. I never played the original online either and only managed to beat the game (including hordes of the underdark) once with an Elven Druid who was like lvl 31 as the end and became Neutral Evil upon taking the throne of the 8th Layer of Hell.

That said all this sounds cool and if you bring it to NWN2 eventually or if it looks good enough in NWN1 I might try harder to find my copy of NWN1 just to play it.

Ruethgar
2017-02-22, 10:22 AM
Currently working on a Black Dragon. They were always my favorites of the base 10 dragons.

You mention that the dragons progress as a sorcerer, does this mean they gain spellcasting at an equal to their HD? You also changed the HD to level in the tables, does that include level adjustment(so 2 HD for a Wyrmling Black)?

Black dragons in the table also have the incorrect SLAs, haven't looked closely, but would just double check the rest of it as well.

Similarly, blue dragons are listed in marshes but they dwell in deserts and are not Water dragons but rather Earth.

Will you be requiring taking levels in only Dragon or are others an option as well?

Are you defaulting to the peasant array or would point buy or the elite array be possible?