PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Silly character concept: the Flock

Belac93
2017-02-18, 01:46 PM
So, this is a thing.

Level 3 Raven Queen chain pact warlock, level 3 beastmaster ranger, level x druid. Play as a kenku for extra fun.

Raven Queen patron gets you a pet raven that can ride on your shoulder.

Chain Pact gets you an extra familiar, either a raven, or an imp permanently transformed into a raven.

Beastmaster ranger gets you a raven companion, as well as increasing your spellcasting.

Druid gives you wild shape, allowing you to transform into a raven. As well, at level 4 druid/3 ranger, you get conjure animals, allowing you to create another 8 ravens.

As a Druid 4/Warlock 5/Ranger 3, you can create 16 ravens every short rest, plus an extra 16 every day.

Not by an means optimal normally, but if every raven takes the help action, you will be providing at least 4 sources of advantage each turn, or 3 if you choose to attack yourself. The shapeshifted imp from the chain pact could also attack for a possible 1d4+3d6+3 damage.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-18, 05:12 PM
That's really cool.
However, don't the spells known requirements of multiclassing preclude you from casting 3rd level spells without 5 levels in a full caster?

Arc-Royal
2017-02-18, 05:31 PM
That's really cool.
However, don't the spells known requirements of multiclassing preclude you from casting 3rd level spells without 5 levels in a full caster?

As a Druid 4/Warlock 5/Ranger 3

Warlock 5 gets you two 3rd-level spell slots per short rest.

EDIT FOR MORE INFO: It's been confirmed that you can use either type of spell slots (Pact Magic or Spellcasting) for any spells you know so long as the spell slot(s) in question are capable of casting the spell. That means no casting Wish with Pact Magic slots if you were, say, a Wizard 17/Warlock 3 or some other such combination, although you could still cast it with your one 9th-level slot from Spellcasting. If you were a Wizard 1/Warlock 5, you couldn't cast Hold Monster with your slots from Spellcasting, although you could still cast it with a 5th-level slot from Pact Magic.

King539
2017-02-18, 05:35 PM
Warlock 5 gets you two 3rd-level spell slots per short rest.

But they don't have enough druid levels to prepare conjure animals. Check the multi classing rules.

Arc-Royal
2017-02-18, 05:38 PM
But they don't have enough druid levels to prepare conjure animals. Check the multi classing rules.

I actually just remembered this, but you Shadow Monk'd me. ;)

The objection Potato raised is valid, but on different grounds than previously thought.

Asmotherion
2017-02-18, 05:44 PM
this could potentially be awesome... 4 help Action and Eldritch Blasting with advantage on all Hits? Yes please.

However I'm not sure it goes RAW, as I think the Help action goes like "...on the first attack roll on your next round..." or something...

Could happen RAI though, and with a DM willing to let this work...

Hawkstar
2017-02-18, 06:58 PM
Every city watch/police/guard will try to arrest you for murder.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-18, 07:00 PM
Every city watch/police/guard will try to arrest you for murder.

I'm pretty sure that's crows, but good job nonetheless.

Hawkstar
2017-02-18, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that's crows, but good job nonetheless.
Do you expect common guardsmen to know the difference?

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-18, 07:31 PM
Do you expect common guardsmen to know the difference?

This discrimination is undeniably an act of unkindness towards the common guardsmen, and you shall be held accountable for it!

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2017-02-18, 07:59 PM
Name suggestion: Tippi. I can't decide which polyhedron should be the last name.

Belac93
2017-02-18, 11:34 PM

Well, hold off one of the warlock levels for a druid level. I would honestly progress this character as Warlock 3, Druid 2, Ranger 3, Druid 5 Warlock 5. You have 2 minions at level 3, can join them at level 5, have another one at 8, can create more at 11, and then can create them more often at 13. The level 2 warlock spell slots aren't very important.

Plus, you can make so many murder related puns. It's win/win, no matter what you do.

Also, just realized that if you played a kenku, you and your familiars would be the master mimics.

xyianth
2017-02-19, 12:47 PM
Just a thought, but since you have to have the wisdom for ranger/druid anyway, why not add a single level dip into life cleric. That way those short rest warlock slots that aren't much use until you can conjure animals with them can be used to create super healing goodberries for the party. You can even fluff it as your flock scatters and returns with sustenance/healing or something.

Build progression becomes: warlock 3/druid 2/cleric 1/ranger 3/druid +3/warlock +2/X

Honestly, I'd be tempted to play as a tome warlock that uses the find familiar ritual for the second raven just so I can pick up the chronicle of the raven queen invocation. (one of my favorite invocations) You would lose out on the imp unless your DM let you contract with a real one per MM rules though. Plus, with tome pact you can pick up the vicious mockery cantrip and use your murder related puns to do damage while forcing disadvantage.

This character wouldn't be doing much damage, but you could cover scouting and healing while providing tons of 'buffs' in the form of advantage during fights. You could even be your party's mascot: convince them to emblazon their shields/armor with a flock of ravens or something.

JellyPooga
2017-02-19, 02:16 PM
The build requires Druid 9(? Confirm level, I'm AFB) to be able to Wild Shape into a raven because they have a fly speed.