PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Bard: the Dark Rocker

sengmeng
2017-02-18, 04:06 PM
So I'm new to 5e and I've always wanted to play a bard, and I see that they are now full casters. I also thought that it would be funny to multiclass warlock and fluff it as selling my soul for musical talent. I kind of want to go with the fiend pact and dip 3 levels to get a familiar from the pact of the chain boon, and have a little imp or quasit to be my drummer (I'll be playing a golden fiddle, of course). What other options could I pick to be more fun/powerful?

retaliation08
2017-02-18, 04:13 PM
I recommend Eldritch Blast. Cast through your instrument, it will melt the faces. All of them.

For evocations, Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight (if you don't already have darkvision), and Voice of the Chain Master are good.

For spells, I recommend considering some of the Warlock spells that are not on the Bard list to gain more versatility.

Lore Bard is great as a subclass.

EDIT: Hmm, Inspiration and Cutting Words could possibly be used through your familiar with Voice of the Chain master, depending on your DM. Maybe healing word as well?

Sans.
2017-02-18, 04:24 PM
So... it's actually Bard/Warlock? Anyway, I always found multiclassing Bard on, say, Paladin or Sorcerer hard to explain away in backstory. Good job with finding a nice story.

Dudu
2017-02-19, 02:16 AM
Exactly my current char right now, Chuck Hendrix (From Chuck Berry and Jimmy Hendrix).

His Eldritch Blasts are actually cards he throw, Gambit style.

And he is a rocker.

Quoxis
2017-02-19, 03:32 AM
So... it's actually Bard/Warlock? Anyway, I always found multiclassing Bard on, say, Paladin or Sorcerer hard to explain away in backstory. Good job with finding a nice story.

Typically a bard is just a guy learning how to play an instrument in a way that can influence "the weave", usually at a bard's college.
A guy like that sees his family getting murdered and swears to avenge them = Bardladin
A guy like that finds out he has innate powers that are just now starting to manifest = Barcerer

The teachers at a bard's college can also be multiclassed/have a philosophy that fits multiple classes:
- become the best bard no matter the cost, even if you sell your soul for it = bardlock
- use your music as a way to spread hope and happiness in these times of hardship = oath of ancients Bardladin

And that's just for conventional bards; imagine a cult worshipping a higher fey with music, the high priests even getting in contact with them to make pacts etc.

The possibilities are endless if you break a class down to what is actually important. A wizard doesn't have to be a scholar, a paladin isn't always a knight, a barbarian not always an uncivilized... well, barbarian.

As for the actual topic:
Thematically i'd make this guy a death metal bard, give him a lot of fire spells for pyrotechical effects when performing (dancing lights aaand pyrotechniques anyone?), maybe even use the "silent image at will" invocation for that.
Other than that, with your short-rest-resetting warlock slots and magical secrets giving you access to necromancy you could make a little army of undead within hours at the right level, i'm convinced your patron would find that awesome too.

sengmeng
2017-02-19, 12:33 PM
Good points all... I'm not sure what bard archetype to take (lore bard is best mechanically, but "lore" is more like a folk singer than a rocker). I already thought of how convenient it is that the pact I was thinking gives pyrotechnic spells... great minds, huh?

It sounds like I'm probably on the right track and I guess power is a secondary concern over theme. Thanks guys (or gals, idk).

ravencroft0
2017-05-01, 11:17 PM
Good points (lore bard is best mechanically, but "lore" is more like a folk singer than a rocker.)

I would call Jimmy Page a lore Bard, if you look up his personal interests, though perhaps more so from his younger days.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-01, 11:39 PM
Good points all... I'm not sure what bard archetype to take (lore bard is best mechanically, but "lore" is more like a folk singer than a rocker). I already thought of how convenient it is that the pact I was thinking gives pyrotechnic spells... great minds, huh?

It sounds like I'm probably on the right track and I guess power is a secondary concern over theme. Thanks guys (or gals, idk).

Lore could very well be Rock. Think Lore Bard as someone who appreciates any good story, and there happens to be a lot of songs that fit that in any genre. Play Chop Suey, November Rain, Kryptonite. Heck pick up a mic and Rap anything by Eminem.

Herobizkit
2017-05-02, 03:37 AM
Lore Bard is "that good", but remember - Valor bards get access to medium armor, shields, and all martial weapons. If you're building for fun over optimization, being able to use a Battle Axe or Greataxe (as a guitar - get it?) is often worth it.

You could always be Valhallen, VIKING GOD OF ROCK!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M_3MgUpBIhs/hqdefault.jpg

D.U.P.A.
2017-05-02, 05:22 AM
Definitely pick Valor Bard to wear metal armor for extra kvltness. As for Warlock, make a pact with the devil whom you will make blood rituals for. You cannot go more kvlt than that.