PDA

View Full Version : Yuan-Ti Tank Options

Scathain
2017-02-18, 06:03 PM
So our party is in desperate need of a decent front-liner, and since my character met a bitter end (because of the problem just mentioned) I figured I'd use this chance to re-roll a tank.

I want to take advantage of Yuan-Ti's Magic Resistance to build a very resilient tank. However, I'm having trouble even picking a class due to the odd racial stats. Thematically, I've always loved "bear"barian (moon Druid / bear totem barbarian), but I wonder how viable it would be on a YT?

So, I'm asking the playground, what's the tankiest Yuan-Ti build you can think of? Any class, point buy, minimum level 8 (where I'll be starting off).

Foxhound438
2017-02-18, 06:13 PM
Maybe paladin? yuan ti gives charisma, so you're off to a good start. I'd probably stat out 15/x/15/x/x/16 at the start, grab +1 str/ +1 con at level 4 and Inspiring Leader at 8.

Though at that point you don't really need to be a yuan ti as much because you have charisma to all saves- you'd be a bit better off as a Vuman with the aforementioned feat, or otherwise a half elf with generally better stats, and put your ASI's into charisma.

if you're dead set on barbarian, probably start out 15/14/15/x/x/x and split an ASI between con and str, then at 8 take more strength. I'm just not at all a fan of a druid dip here, it's kind of neat and funny but mechanically you're just gimping yourself. Maybe if you chose a race with more appropriate stat bumps, like the lizardfolk with wis and con.

Harrumphreys
2017-02-19, 08:39 AM
A Valor Bard could be worth considering alongside a Paladin as mentioned.

If UA is allowed, have a look at the Stone Sorcerer and Hexblade Warlock options. Both are melee/magic types, and depending on your spell selection both could serve as an off-tank for the party.

Alternatively, if you're not interested in utilising your racial bonuses in Charisma just pick from the standard tank portfolio of builds.

ruy343
2017-02-19, 08:46 AM
A fighter with medium armor mastery is also extremely effective. You can have a 19 AC from a relatively early level,, and still be good at stealth and such without too high of stats. That could lead into purple dragon knight or something...

The int bonus also points to Wizard (Abjurer), which could either play tank or just protect the party through their spells. Bladesinger could also work if allowed (I like that flavor, honestly, of a writhing snake-man using magic to dance while weilding his weapons).