PDA

View Full Version : revisiting old character idea

ChaosStar
2017-02-18, 08:17 PM
Hey all. My first topic back way back when was about an idea for an unwillingly turned undead cleric of Kelemvor. For my character's race I originally went with Zombie, but looking back through I realized I could just refluff Necropolitan for the race. Now I have another question since I'm revisiting this character idea, does my character need to change deities? Kelemvor HATES the undead, would he still grant powers if one of his clerics was unwillingly turned into an undead? Would he abandon her? Would she need to become suicidal as to adhere to Kelemvor's kill all undead Dogma?

My character's backstory, if you need it, is that she was a priestess-in-training at a temple devoted to Kelemvor when an evil Necromancer raided the temple killing everyone within and using their corpses in his experiments. This led to my character being an undead creature dominated by the Necromancer for a long time, until the Necromancer disappeared. When the Necromancer disappeared her mind was in control again and she basically went into shock due to the memories of all of the atrocities she was forced to perform(basically she has amnesia due to subconsciously blocking the memories). The Raid happened when she was 8 years old and her alignment is LN.

Matrota
2017-02-18, 08:26 PM
I believe in most cases that your god would still abandon you and you would not be able to pray to them for spells. Though there's a chance you could try a god call and get restored to life by them, but that's the only thing I can think of.

If you wanna play an undead cleric of a good god, I think the closest thing you could do is have all this as backstory and become an ur-priest. They're pretty much clerics that steal divine spells from the gods. That or you get to play hardcore repentance game and hope your DM is nice. I may be wrong though, I'm going off of my limited knowledge of divine classes (I'm much more of an arcane class player)

Vaz
2017-02-18, 08:45 PM
Your god would abandon you. Unless you are powerful enough that he truly cares for you and the effect of your loss would have on his worship, you are literally anathema to all he stands for.

Sponsoring you with spells would completely devalue his creed and cause sectarianism as people either follow his lead,or denounce him as being false to his own cause. He probably wouldn't destroy you, otherwise he'd simply destroy every undead, but he may give a rival Kelemvor cleric/paladin/follower the challenge of killing you, which combined with no spells replenishing would be hard for you.

That is not to say you couldn't follow another god and convert to their worship instead, but Kelemvor is dead in the water for you.

ChaosStar
2017-02-19, 06:55 AM
Alright then, any ideas as to which God would be sympathetic to her situation? She'll definitely have to change her domains. Also becoming an Ur-Priest is out of the question do to the fact that Ur-Priests hate the Gods and she could not bring herself to hate Kelemvor over this.

One thing I forgot to mention is that she was raised in the church of Kelemvor her whole life before the Raid happened, due to being orphaned at the church steps as a baby.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-19, 07:40 AM
Clerics aren't required to serve deities to draw the power necessary to power their spellcasting. Your character is already undead, so her soul is probably already condemned to a very unpleasant afterlife in FR, and Kelemvor will most definitely give you the cold shoulder so you should just move on and draw your class powers from the faith in whatever ideals you decide to follow. Not following a god in FR usually has consequences, but see above.