PDA

View Full Version : What to buy with 2.5 million gold-Pathfinder?

ngilop
2017-02-18, 08:46 PM
If you had a 2.5 million gold what would you buy for a character.

Lets narrow that down a bit, since the answer is actually "what ever I wanted"

If you were a high level wizard or cleric focused on spell casting what would be your item loadout.

Coidzor
2017-02-18, 08:59 PM
I'd make sure I had implanted myself with Ioun Stones so that I was trained in every skill that would conceivably be useful to me that I didn't already have covered.

A number of other Ioun Stones, too. Possibly one that's an Intelligent Item with healing and restorative powers whose specific purpose is extending my life. Possibly a number of them that exist to buff my spellcasting as necessary.

Metamagic rods, especially if I could get access to 3.5's version of Chaining.

If I was going to be doing Planar Binding and the like, I'd make sure I had both +Int for my main spellcasting stat and +Charisma on my headband item.

After that, I'd probably invest a lot in an army of Trompe L'oeil copies of myself to form a corps of immortal wizards to protect/conquer the world/known universe.

Elricaltovilla
2017-02-18, 09:12 PM
I'd make sure I had implanted myself with Ioun Stones so that I was trained in every skill that would conceivably be useful to me that I didn't already have covered.

A number of other Ioun Stones, too. Possibly one that's an Intelligent Item with healing and restorative powers whose specific purpose is extending my life. Possibly a number of them that exist to buff my spellcasting as necessary.

Metamagic rods, especially if I could get access to 3.5's version of Chaining.

If I was going to be doing Planar Binding and the like, I'd make sure I had both +Int for my main spellcasting stat and +Charisma on my headband item.

After that, I'd probably invest a lot in an army of Trompe L'oeil copies of myself to form a corps of immortal wizards to protect/conquer the world/known universe.

Dude, you forgot the airship.

Geddy2112
2017-02-18, 09:14 PM
The manuals that permanently boost ability scores, namely your casting stat, but boosting dex and/or con is not a bad idea either. If you have infinite gold, then you can get the +5 book of each ability score.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-18, 09:29 PM
In general, whatever is useful for the current situation.

In an otherwise-vacuum:

I'd go through all the ioun stones, and pick up everything of use - even if it duplicates a cheaper item elsewhere (e.g., three each of the self-stacking enhancement ones) - and get them implanted. This specifically includes one Scarlet and Blue Sphere for each of the skills that *might* be useful. Including also many copies of the Emerald Ellipsoid.

An Adamantine Golem, modified for Construct Armor (I have to construct this, and may need to boost my caster level... but shouldn't be a problem thanks to ioun stones, candles of invocation, and beads of karma). Why? It doesn't get destroyed by simple damage, and you have to destroy the construct before you can do anything to the wearer. And the wearer continues to act just fine until it's destroyed. Very high-level, costly to do, but really mean trick to pull on anyone wanting to hurt me.

All the tomes/manuals.
All the little utility items.
As a caster, metamagic rods.

If anything is left after that:

Trompe L'oeil copies of myself most assuredly, plus basic equipment for them. I'd have to make them, though. If I have control of them, fine (nothing explicitly gives that...); if not... well, they inherit my alignment either way, and they're liable to have most of my goals.

Celestia
2017-02-18, 09:50 PM
A modest house with a couple servants to keep it clean. And maybe some land and horses.

What? I already have enough gold to be set for life. Why would I continue adventuring?

Coidzor
2017-02-18, 11:46 PM
A modest house with a couple servants to keep it clean. And maybe some land and horses.

What? I already have enough gold to be set for life. Why would I continue adventuring?

Probably because a dragon will eat you unless you manage to invest all that before they find out about your hoard.

khadgar567
2017-02-18, 11:55 PM
I agree with celestia but spend little bit to either find a ritual or train my self to be sorcerer then dominate the smaug to act as my dog

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-19, 03:18 AM
Shapesa..... oh, Pathfinder. Nevermind.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-19, 03:24 AM
I'd start with a LE candle of invocation.

Hogsy
2017-02-19, 04:04 AM
If you had a 2.5 million gold what would you buy for a character.

Lets narrow that down a bit, since the answer is actually "what ever I wanted"

If you were a high level wizard or cleric focused on spell casting what would be your item loadout.

Obviously, I'd pick the necessary feats to craft the stuff I want to essentially double that into 5 million. Then, I'd start with SR 60(half a million) so no caster in the known beastiary and who isn't level 30 can touch me with most spells, then I'd buy +20 skill bonuses on my most important skills, then I'd go for my saves, and then for utility stuff such as permanent fly speed and whatnot. Finally, I'd buy ALL the Ioun Stones so I could look like a Pimp. Golems. Lots of Gold Golems. With Ioun Stones. A bigger Gold Golem that's also my house. With huge Ioun Stones. And stuff for my friends. And a pet Dragon to keep it all safe. It could call it its own hoard for all I care.

Dagroth
2017-02-19, 04:50 AM
To paraphrase a great mind...

“I would build my own theme park... with blackjack and hookers!”

Celestia
2017-02-19, 05:25 AM
Probably because a dragon will eat you unless you manage to invest all that before they find out about your hoard.
Do dragons have the ability to sense money? If not, then they would only know if I make it public. And even if they do find out, who's to say that they would attack? Royalty and nobility seem to possess significant gold and continue existing just fine. Just because I have money it doesn't mean I'll instantly become a dragon magnet. As long as my house is within or near a large city, I should be fine.

Pugwampy
2017-02-19, 06:36 AM

A house ? For that kind of gold I would expect to afford a massive castle .

Celestia
2017-02-19, 08:16 AM
A house ? For that kind of gold I would expect to afford a massive castle .
I don't need a castle. What would I do with all those extra rooms?

Coidzor
2017-02-19, 12:41 PM
Do dragons have the ability to sense money? If not, then they would only know if I make it public. And even if they do find out, who's to say that they would attack? Royalty and nobility seem to possess significant gold and continue existing just fine. Just because I have money it doesn't mean I'll instantly become a dragon magnet. As long as my house is within or near a large city, I should be fine.

Effectively, yes. And other vultures would be attracted to a situation with someone with way too much money and way too little defense.

I don't need a castle. What would I do with all those extra rooms?

Having the space to store your unspent, uninvested gold before something fierce enough to take it from you comes along because you haven't invested in defense.

I mean, I suppose you could rent a warehouse instead.