PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Thematic Sorlock Optimization

QUARE
2017-02-18, 10:43 PM
I'm looking to optimize a Sorcerer/Warlock with most flavor possible. Races that I'm looking at are Variant Human, Abyssal Tiefling, or Scourge Aasimar (this one would be difficult to RP). We're looking at 8/14/15/8/10/15 for V. Human and 8/14/14/10/10/15 for the other races.
Level 1 will be in Stone Sorcerer for Con saving throws and and good AC. Next, 2 levels in Warlock. Fiend Patron for the blasting and AOE. We will take Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight. Next come 2 more levels in Sorcerer for Metamagic. After that, another level in Warlock for Pact of the Tome and getting Book of Ancient Secrets. After that I'm not sure where to go. What should be on spell list? What the best choices for Pact of the Tome and Book of Ancient Secrets? I really think that V. Human for Warcaster so I can use a shield and for better Con saves. 18 AC on a level 1 caster is fairly good. Lastly, how can I weave in some flavor and have a good backstory? Thanks in advance.

Addaran
2017-02-18, 11:20 PM
Lastly, how can I weave in some flavor and have a good backstory? Thanks in advance.

For the patron, you could use Ogremoch, the evil earth elemental prince. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SwiXZvNgXVs/VT3VGPiOHII/AAAAAAAAD6g/W6TL3NRNr9c/s1600/211ogremoch.jpg

If you have Princes of the Apocalypse, you can have more informations about him and his followers. Here you have a little bit of info. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ogr%C3%A9moch

skaddix
2017-02-18, 11:28 PM
Well the problem I see is Stone and Pact of The Tome don't necessarily have the best of synergy. Stone is about boosting your melee effectiveness and Tome is more bent to being good at range. So I suppose the question is do you want spam Eldritch Blast with some spells, Supplement your Spells with Blasting or get down and dirty in melee range.

Addaran
2017-02-18, 11:33 PM
Well the problem I see is Stone and Pact of The Tome don't necessarily have the best of synergy. Stone is about boosting your melee effectiveness and Tome is more bent to being good at range. So I suppose the question is do you want spam Eldritch Blast with some spells, Supplement your Spells with Blasting or get down and dirty in melee range.

Pact of Tome works well to be in melee with shillelagh and the SCAG cantrips. =O

QUARE
2017-02-18, 11:36 PM
I want to primarily be a blaster spamming Eldritch Blast that can do a bit of control and use Shillelagh + Quarterstaff if need be. Stone Sorcerer is for the Constitution Armor. It makes us less MAD.

Vaz
2017-02-18, 11:39 PM
Why Fiend for Blasting? Fiend gives you Burning Hands (which a Sorcerer can pick up) and like 7 Temp Hp on a gib. A Hexblade, attuned to say the Ruby Rod of Asmodeus gives you the ability to Crit Fish with +Prof to EB damage, heals you the same amount as what a Fiend gives you in Temp HP (although it is 1/short rest), and lets you add +5 Fire Damage as bonus action as a second Invo, while using say Armour of Agathys to back you up for Temp HP and Quickened Blade Wards and Stone Aegis on yourself as necessary.

skaddix
2017-02-18, 11:39 PM
Well sure but your a sorcerer you can get those cantrips anyway. Not to mention the whole bonus Stone Sorcerer Spell List options are all smites for melee combat. shillelagh is great though but if all your doing is going tome for that. That why not just go with the New UA Hexblade which will give you the ability to add CHA to your one handed melee weapon at Level 1. No club or staff needed.

But the central question remains how do you envision fighting. Blasting, Spellcasting or Smashing?

skaddix
2017-02-18, 11:49 PM
I want to primarily be a blaster spamming Eldritch Blast that can do a bit of control and use Shillelagh + Quarterstaff if need be. Stone Sorcerer is for the Constitution Armor. It makes us less MAD.

How late do you foresee the campaign going?
Party Composition?

Invocations That Matter:

Agonizing Blast
Eldritch Spear
Repelling Blast

That is 3. You need 5 levels to do that. If that is all you want.

Now personally if I was going with the ultimate Blaster Sorlock. I probably go Sea Sorcerer. Curse of the Sea will basically make it impossible for anyone to get to you. Granted Stone probably beats this in a Mid Level Game or IF you want all 3 of the Above Invocations. Because you will never really get tankier except once a short rest and against OA until you hit 18.

Vaz
2017-02-18, 11:56 PM
Eldritch Spear rarely matters. If you are engaging at 600ft the rest of you party aren't. If you are needing to engage at 300ft then you will want Spell Sniper to avoid intervening terrain.

skaddix
2017-02-19, 12:03 AM
I would tend to agree Vaz. I would suggest Sea Sorcerer 18/ Hex Blade 2. Hexblade gives you medium armor, you can still slap on your shield, you don't need a club. Curse helps if you ever get stuck in melee against a single foe. Sea Sorc enhance your keep away game, Watery Soul lets you reposition and greatly reduce damage taken once per short rest and fire resistance doesn't hurt and if you do get to 16 or 20 you will be even harder to hurt.

Quoxis
2017-02-19, 04:24 AM
I really think that V. Human for Warcaster so I can use a shield and for better Con saves. 18 AC on a level 1 caster is fairly good.

Last time i checked sorcerers don't have proficiency for any kind of armor, which should include shields if i'm correct, and to quote the phb:

Armor Proficiency. Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a shield to an arm.
Only those proficient in the armor’s use know how to wear it effectively, however.
Your class gives you proficiency with certain types of armor.
If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast spells.

So that's that. If stone sorcery gives you proficiency with shields somehow i apologize in advance, i don't really read the UAs.

QUARE
2017-02-19, 09:38 AM
So that's that. If stone sorcery gives you proficiency with shields somehow i apologize in advance, i don't really read the UAs.

Stone Sorcerer gives you Shield proficiency