PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 101 Planescape Portals/Keys

Goober4473
2017-02-18, 11:31 PM
I've started a new campaign, running The Great Modron March updated to 5e, and while the adventure (and some others I'm interspersing in-between) includes various portals and portal keys, I think it'd be fun to get together a list of interesting portals and keys that I can just throw in as needed.

So, give me your best portal/key ideas! I'll get it started.

1. The Despondent Well. This old, dried up well can be found in the center of a graveyard. A few feet down is a portal whose key is a distinct feeling of ennui.

2. The Offended Gateway. This large iron archway, carved with the motif of many large tongues, sports a heavy, locked gate. The portal opens on the "inside" of the gate, so the gate must also be physically opened before entering the portal from the outside of the building the archway is attached to. The archway is, however, intelligent and mobile, using the statistics of an iron golem. Without proper authorization or key (physical key, that is), it will not open the gate. The key to the portal behind the gate is a rude gesture, but the gate is very easily offended, and becomes enraged and attacks with large metal tongues that animate from its frame if shown a rude gesture (using its Slam attack). Canny cutters might lure it out of its position as a doorway, allowing them to move around to its back where the portal opens, or they might defeat it in battle, at which point the physical gate opens. Or, if they convince it to open, they might run through before it has time to react to their rudeness.

Vaz
2017-02-19, 12:07 AM
Planar Orrery; an array of man sized lens representing the interlocking planes. Each day the lens rotate at dawn each day so that 3 randomly chosen planes intersect with the current plane, and a portal opens between that plane through the relevant lens. For each lens, roll a D6+1; that lens may not randomly match appear for that many days. The immediate area is always suffused with a general scent of the areas on which the portals lead to.

NecroDancer
2017-02-19, 02:58 AM
The magenta cloth: this thin transparent sheet of purple/pink silk hangs outside of the Gatehouse in Sigil, it seems to be constantly swaying in an unseen breeze. If you write down a memory on a piece of paper then walks through the magenta cloth you appear in Pandemonium and forget the memory you wrote down, the paper that the memory was written down also vanishes. If someone reminds you of the memory within 1 hour of using the magenta cloth you instantly appear outside the Gatehouse with one type of long term madness.