PDA

View Full Version : Which spells should I choose?

JobsforFun
2017-02-18, 11:38 PM
I am in a campaign and we were level 10 but our DM is ending the campaign next session so he gave us level 20. At one point he gave me 2 free spells from any class I can currently cast, now that I can cast level 9 spells and when leveling up he is fine with us switching out spells what would you guys recommend me switch here are my current stats:

(I am a cleric)
My domain is the Death Domain and these are my ability scores:
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 12

Current known spells
Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame, Resistance, Chill Touch, and Thaumaturgy
Lvl 1: Inflict Wounds, Healing Word, Bless, Guiding Bolt, False Life, Ray of Sickness, Shield of Faith
Lvl 2: Prayer of healing, Spiritual Weapon, Blindness Deafness, Aid, and Lesser Restoration
Lvl 3: Animate Dead, Vampiric Touch, Mass Healing Word, Bestow Curse, Remove Curse, Revivify
Lvl 4: Death Ward, Blight, Banishment, Divination
Lvl 5: Cloud Kill, Mass CW, Anti-Life Shell, Contagion

The spells that I took were, Circle of power and destructive wave. (but I can switch them out)

Vaz
2017-02-18, 11:44 PM
Hold Monster, Wall of Stone, Wall of Force, Seeming, Legend Lore, Modify Memory are all powerful spells.

JobsforFun
2017-02-19, 12:14 AM
Anything of higher level that would be good? Wish?

Vaz
2017-02-19, 12:25 AM
Sorry miaunderstood as to 9th levels and only have 5ths up. Give me an hour to get to a PC and I'll have a greater look. Foresight is always my favourite spell ever, while Gate allows the only no save combo (requires True Name research however).

JobsforFun
2017-02-19, 12:54 AM
Sorry miaunderstood as to 9th levels and only have 5ths up. Give me an hour to get to a PC and I'll have a greater look. Foresight is always my favourite spell ever, while Gate allows the only no save combo (requires True Name research however).

No problem, I am open to any suggestions :)

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-02-19, 02:52 PM
You definitely want to pick at least one ninth level spell, given that the cleric ninth-levels are rather weak. The best options are Wish, Foresight, Shapechange, and True Polymorph, which massively outstrip the other ninth-levels in utility. You might even consider taking two of them - otherwise, good options not yet mentioned, include Maze, Forcecage, Dominate Monster, Earthquake, or Contingency.

Destructive Wave is well worth considering, as a good aoe you can spam quite well, but I'd give Circle of Power a miss, given how much competition there's going to be for your concentration slot.

JobsforFun
2017-02-19, 04:38 PM
You definitely want to pick at least one ninth level spell, given that the cleric ninth-levels are rather weak. The best options are Wish, Foresight, Shapechange, and True Polymorph, which massively outstrip the other ninth-levels in utility. You might even consider taking two of them - otherwise, good options not yet mentioned, include Maze, Forcecage, Dominate Monster, Earthquake, or Contingency.

Destructive Wave is well worth considering, as a good aoe you can spam quite well, but I'd give Circle of Power a miss, given how much competition there's going to be for your concentration slot.

true polymorph seems incredibly helpful turning into a ancient bronze dragon and transforming into an archmage and just use that to constantly use spells.