PDA

View Full Version : What To Persist

JNAProductions
2017-02-18, 11:49 PM
Wizard//Archivist, Pathfinder with most any 3.0 or 3.5 source available, 4th level right now.

At the moment, I have a Lesser Rod Of Persist, but once I hit 6th level, I'll be able to Persist as many spells as I have slots for for essentially free. What are some good picks?

khadgar567
2017-02-18, 11:57 PM
Any and all important buffs as begining then forum will sort the next

JNAProductions
2017-02-19, 12:01 AM
Right, I've got some obvious ones (Lesser Vigor, for instance) but I'm wondering what the forum thinks.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-19, 12:08 AM
Party-level buff spells. The big reason for that being it's better if optimization is roughly even across the board - it's much easier for a DM to deal with a party that's all playing on the same field than it is when one is significantly out of sync in 'power' than the others.

JNAProductions
2017-02-19, 12:10 AM
True. What party-level buffs are available at level 4?

Dagroth
2017-02-19, 12:41 AM
Wizard//Archivist, Pathfinder with most any 3.0 or 3.5 source available, 4th level right now.

At the moment, I have a Lesser Rod Of Persist, but once I hit 6th level, I'll be able to Persist as many spells as I have slots for for essentially free. What are some good picks?

Okay, so you're a caster with all the spells (except the rare Sorcerer-only spells and a few Bard spells).

I can't imagine how expensive a Lesser Rod of Persist is, considering a Lesser Rod of Chaining is 14k... but we'll ignore that.

PH2:
Hunter's Eye (2nd level Ranger) 1d6 Sneak attack per 3 caster levels.
Animalistic Power (2nd level) +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con. Saves spell slots, but you might take Bear's Endurance instead.
Channeled Divine Shield (3rd level Cleric) Take 2 rounds casting for DR 10/Evil.
Cloud of Knives (2nd level) Great with Hunter's Eye.
Healing Spirit (Paladin 3) 1d8 healing every round, all day? Sure!
Linked Perception (Ranger 1)
Share Talents (2nd level)

Complete Adventurer
Critical Strike (1st level)
Embrace the Wild (Ranger 1)
Gravestrike (1st level) if you're going against undead much, and have Hunter's Eye going.
Healing Lorecall (Ranger 1) Need max ranks in Heal
Listening Lorecall (2nd level) Need max ranks in Listen
Sniper's Shot (1st level) When you have Hunter's Eye going.
Wraithstrike (2nd level) If you're going to melee at all.

There's many, many more... depends on what you're planning. Hunter's Eye, Channeled Divine Shield, Healing Spirit Critical Strike & Sniper's Shot would be tops in this batch IMHO.

Doc_Maynot
2017-02-19, 12:45 AM
IF PF is on the table, why not be Arcanist instead of Wizard?

JNAProductions
2017-02-19, 12:47 AM
Because the character is already made and I didn't know the Arcanist that well?

SirNibbles
2017-02-19, 12:48 AM
The 5th level Wizard spell Sakkratar's Triple Strike (Lost Empires of Faerun, page 33) gives you two extra attacks at full BAB on a full attack plus the melee weapons of the affected creature gain Keen and Flaming Burst. You'll need Ocular Spell or something similar to convert it to a fixed range for Persisting.

The 5th level Cleric Spell Magic Convalescence (PHB II, page 118) heals you whenever a spell is cast within 20 feet of you (including by you). The healing is equal to the level of the spell cast.

You'll need Ocular Spell again for this next one, but it's worth it: the 5th level Initiate of Lathander Spell Shield of Lathander (Player's Guide to Faerun, page 110) gives the target DR 15/-.

Cleric 4- Recitation (Complete Divine, page 176). +2 luck bonus (+3 if your deities are the same) to attack rolls and saving throws for all allies within 60 feet.

Cleric 4- Balor Nimbus (Planar Handbook, page 95)- 6d6 fire damage to anyone who is grappling you.

Cleric 2- Body Blades (Spell Compendium, page 35)- 1d6+5 damage to any creature who grapples you.

Cleric 3/7- Aura of Cold, Lesser/Greater (Frostburn, page 88) 1d6/2d6 damage every round to all within 5/10 feet.

The 6th level Bard spell/7th level Pleasure Domain spell Empyreal Ecstasy (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 98) does some stuff but mainly it halves the damage taken from melee and ranged. It has a fixed range and affects up to 1 ally per level per casting. That means you can hit your whole party with a single casting and have them take half damage.

Wizard 5- Dimension Jumper (Complete Mage, page 102)- Teleport 30 feet as a move action. Requires line of sight but not line of effect.

Cleric 4- Blessing of the Righteous (PHB II) - all allies get 1d6 holy damage, attacks are good-aligned (40 foot range)

Cleric 4- Positive Energy Aura (Planar Handbook)- heals all living creatures near you every round for 2 hp, damages undead (10 foot range)

Doc_Maynot
2017-02-19, 12:49 AM
Fair enough.

Deophaun
2017-02-19, 12:53 AM
Blade of Pain and Fear is fun. Who doesn't want to walk around with a sword made of gnashing teeth? Cast true casting (an eternal wand works fine) just before so you don't have to worry about SR.

Deeds
2017-02-19, 02:52 AM
Right, I've got some obvious ones (Lesser Vigor, for instance) but I'm wondering what the forum thinks.

Animalistic Power (2nd level) +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con. Saves spell slots, but you might take Bear's Endurance instead.

Persistent spell may only be applied to spells with fixed range or personal spells. Touch spells, in fact, don't have a fixed range since a size change may increase your range. Close, medium, and long range spells change dependingon your CL. Frankly, I'm upset I can't drop a persisted Haste and call it a day.

That being said, lesser vigor can't be used but mass lesser vigor has a fixed range so that's on the table. Greater Invisibility (personal version) would be hilarious to role play. Wraithstrike will probably get a book thrown at you.

SirNibbles
2017-02-19, 03:27 AM
Persistent spell may only be applied to spells with fixed range or personal spells. Touch spells, in fact, don't have a fixed range since a size change may increase your range. Close, medium, and long range spells change dependingon your CL. Frankly, I'm upset I can't drop a persisted Haste and call it a day.

That being said, lesser vigor can't be used but mass lesser vigor has a fixed range so that's on the table. Greater Invisibility (personal version) would be hilarious to role play. Wraithstrike will probably get a book thrown at you.

Ranger gets Swift Haste which is like Haste but Personal. Archivist can cast Ranger spells.

Celestia
2017-02-19, 05:29 AM
Persist Prestigitation. Then you can do vaguely magical things all the time.

Gusmo
2017-02-19, 06:37 AM
Do you have room for more metamagic shenanigans? Dragon breath from the Spell Compendium is persistable and gets nasty if metamagic the hell out of it, then persist the various 1 round duration breath weapon enhancement spells throughout the Spell Compendium. You basically end up with an all day breath weapon that can do hundreds of damage each shot, depending on how you work out energy admixture, empower, and maximize interacting.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-19, 01:06 PM
True. What party-level buffs are available at level 4?

Not many... Bless, Prayer, Recentering Drone ... on the plus side, you get Haste next level.