PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding a deity that has three specific domains.

Incarnate
2017-02-19, 09:44 AM
Hi there.

One of my players is in the process of creating a new character, he would like to play a cleric/or similar who follows a deity who has these three domains or very similar:

- Death
- Trickery
- War

So far I haven't been able to locate any deity that matches this criteria, but maybe I've missed it. Do any of you guys know of one? Please note, currently it's not all that important what setting and edition it's from as I will most likely just modify it if needed.

I have also considered letting him follow a dead power, where he's tapping into the lingering divine power, or that he's worshipping a powerful being, which isn't necessarily a god.

Any suggestions to this?

/Inc.

ChaosStar
2017-02-19, 11:13 AM
Shar(Human Deity) and Memnor(Giant Deity) have Death and Trickery. Kurtulmak(Kobold Deity) and Maglubiyet(Goblin Deity) have Trickery and War. No FR god has all three though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-02-19, 11:42 AM
Unless you're in a setting that specifically disallows it, a cleric can pick an ideal instead of a deity and use whatever combination of domains they want, as long as the choices can fit within that ideal.

If he prefers to specifically worship someone or something, just make up an ancient dead deity, or a powerful outsider. I'd avoid demon princes or a lords of Hell, but perhaps a powerful warlord from Pandemonium (CN) or Mechanus (LN) would be a suitable choice.

A Zenythri (MM2) is like an Aasimar or Tiefling but has an ancestor from lawful-aligned planes. They get a bonus to Str, Dex, and Wis, and you can use the lesser planetouched variant in the back of PGtF to make them Humanoid instead of Outsider with no LA. Going with that would be a good reason why he's worshiping a powerful outsider from Mechanus instead of a deity.

noce
2017-02-19, 12:04 PM
The Dark Six pantheon from Eberron has all three.

Alternatively, you can take Heretic of the Faith feat from Power of Faerun: this feat lets you take a Domain even if it's not on your Deity list.

Also, worshipping an ideal related to Death, Trickery and War, for example the ideal to win a war at all costs and by any means.

hamishspence
2017-02-19, 12:51 PM
Tight pantheons in general can be revered, opening up every domain from every deity in the pantheon.

Racial pantheons: "orcs" "elves" "drow" "giants" and so forth might be plausible as tight pantheons rather than the standard loose pantheon that is usual for D&D.

Particle_Man
2017-02-19, 01:10 PM
Depending on how close "Tempest" would be to "War" for you, the 5th edition Set (god of darkness and desert storms) of the Egyptian Mythos has Death, Tempest and Trickery as domains.

Another option is that two gods just had a baby, and this baby could have those domains? So your pc would be the first cleric of this new god?

Dagroth
2017-02-19, 02:39 PM
Depending on how close "Tempest" would be to "War" for you, the 5th edition Set (god of darkness and desert storms) of the Egyptian Mythos has Death, Tempest and Trickery as domains.

Another option is that two gods just had a baby, and this baby could have those domains? So your pc would be the first cleric of this new god?

I am reminded of the days back in 2nd edition... where if you worshiped a Demigod, you only got up to 7th level spells; and if you worshiped a Lesser God, you only got up to 8th level spells.

Ah, bad times.

Inevitability
2017-02-19, 02:51 PM

Given that 5e has a separate War domain and 'Tempest' pretty clearly refers to storms, I don't think this fits.

Pronounceable
2017-02-19, 03:38 PM
- Death
- Trickery
- War
That's definitely gonna be one of the monstrous humanoid gods. Best match is Hruggek, bugbears are warlike+killy+tricksy. However I don't think most monstrous humanoid gods accept regular humanoid worship.

But if you just want a vaguely similar badguy theme, there's like a billion candidates from bigwigs like Bane and Shar all the way to scrubs like Zinzerena and Memnor.

DrMotives
2017-02-19, 03:43 PM
I am reminded of the days back in 2nd edition... where if you worshiped a Demigod, you only got up to 7th level spells; and if you worshiped a Lesser God, you only got up to 8th level spells.

Ah, bad times.

Are you sure about those numbers? 2e and earlier only had divine magic going up to level 7, mostly. Tome of Magic added "Quest spells", basically like the 3.5 PH2 incantation wi achieve epic level effects. And the Darksun campaign only had both divine & arcane spells going up to level 10. But that was because the Darksun campaign assumed play from levels 5 to 30, instead of 1 to 20 like most other 2e systems.

Dagroth
2017-02-19, 05:42 PM
Are you sure about those numbers? 2e and earlier only had divine magic going up to level 7, mostly. Tome of Magic added "Quest spells", basically like the 3.5 PH2 incantation wi achieve epic level effects. And the Darksun campaign only had both divine & arcane spells going up to level 10. But that was because the Darksun campaign assumed play from levels 5 to 30, instead of 1 to 20 like most other 2e systems.

You may be correct... I just remember that a Demigod didn't get you access to the 2 highest levels of spells and a Lesser God didn't get you access to the highest level of spells.

RedMage125
2017-02-19, 06:05 PM
Is this Forgotten Realms?

I would imagine that Bhaal (dead deity) would have Death and Trickery.

I agree with other posters that said a goblinoid deity would be your best bet.

Dagroth
2017-02-19, 09:40 PM
If it's Forgotten Realms, you can just worship the entire pantheon (see: Sovereign Speaker Prestige Class). Then you have access to pretty-much all the Domains.

Thurbane
2017-02-19, 10:05 PM
I've gone right through the Living Greyhawk deities list (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip), and a handful have 2 of the 3: none have all of them.

NamelessNPC
2017-02-19, 10:20 PM
If you don't mind pathfinder, there is Achaekek (http://archivesofnethys.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Achaekek). It's a gigantic red mantis, created by some god to do their killing. It even has stats (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Achaekek, the Mantis God)

Inevitability
2017-02-20, 01:19 AM
If it's Forgotten Realms, you can just worship the entire pantheon (see: Sovereign Speaker Prestige Class). Then you have access to pretty-much all the Domains.

You know Sovereign Speaker is an Eberron class? Using it to prove something FR-related seems odd.

Dagroth
2017-02-20, 01:29 AM
You know Sovereign Speaker is an Eberron class? Using it to prove something FR-related seems odd.

Heh... got my settings mixed up. :smalleek:

Still, the class could easily be adapted to any setting.

ShurikVch
2017-02-20, 07:40 AM
Taiia - Destroyer Aspect (Deities and Demigods)

For the Forgotten Realms: feat "Heretic of the Faith" (Powers of Faerūn) allow to switch one of your domain to one which is usually unavailable to your faith

Darrin
2017-02-20, 07:44 AM

You can also worship an entire pantheon from Deities & Demigods: Olympian, Pharoanic, or Asgardian.

Tuvarkz
2017-02-20, 07:55 AM
If setting and edition don't particularly matter, from Pathfinder, Golarion setting:
Achaekek the Mantis God (Lawful Evil)

Incarnate
2017-02-20, 08:38 AM
There is a lot of good suggestions here, already had a look at some of the before posting.

The game is set in the Forgotten Realms setting, but with that being said I'm willing to use a deity from a different setting and edition.
Taking it from a different game is a bit of stretch, but then again aspects of the deity can be changed, additionally the fluff can just be changed to match and make sense.

I don't know if this will help.

The race of the character is either going to be a dobbelganger or half-tiefling/half-changeling (a crossbreed) - he hasn't decided yet.
In my opinion, if its the latter it would also make sense to swap one of the domain criterias to something that better reflects the tiefling aspect.

Currently it seems selecting a deity with two and adding the last domain to represent an ideal in the character is the most viable.
But it's just as viable to create one along with some fluff that makes sense for the character and the setting.

Ripptor
2017-02-20, 09:02 AM
If you don't mind a fudgy port, I would offer up the Raven Queen. Death and Trickery are two big things for her, and seeing as she seeks to gain more domains through war, she can easily represent war. (That's how she originally picked up the Winter domain, after all)

She could easily be ported as Death, War, and Fate originally, and have picked up the Trickery domain via conquest (She's a crafty one). Rawr :smallsmile:

ShurikVch
2017-02-20, 09:37 AM
The race of the character is either going to be a dobbelganger or half-tiefling/half-changeling (a crossbreed) - he hasn't decided yet.I suggesting Lesser Tiefling with Half-Doppelganger template

Buufreak
2017-02-20, 10:06 AM
Building on the worship a pantheon idea, you could go with the Goliath pantheon from RoS. The flavor heavily supports them being worshiped as a whole and not as individuals.

denthor
2017-02-20, 10:21 AM
3.5 in the back of the gods book Toldeth has all three of those domains.

She lives on the negative material plane believes undead will be the next evolution of all life on the prime plane

GilesTheCleric
2017-02-20, 11:53 AM
Valid picks are Asgardian pantheon, Goliath pantheon, Olympic pantheon, Taiia (destroyer aspect), and Toldoth, from the list of all ~728 deities in 3e. As others mentioned, if you're able to pick a pantheon that's not explicitly defined as being able to be chosen as a collective patron (I haven't yet found a rules quote allowing this, but I'm still looking), then your options open up dramatically.

Incarnate
2017-02-20, 11:58 AM
3.5 in the back of the gods book Toldeth has all three of those domains.

She lives on the negative material plane believes undead will be the next evolution of all life on the prime plane

What book exactly is that? Deities & Demigods or Faiths & Pantheons?

I tried googling Toldeth and haven't been able to find anything on that goddess.

[Edit]
I found it. - It's named Toldoth, not Toldeth.
Deities & Demigods pg. 210

But thanks for pointing it out - I'm taking a look at it now. ;)

Buufreak
2017-02-20, 11:59 AM
... from the list of all ~728 deities in 3e.

Where would one find such a list? I feel it will help me greatly with an upcoming project.

Incarnate
2017-02-20, 12:10 PM
Toldoth seems more like one who's suited for a villainous character - but may work for a player character.

Anyone have more information on this one, more than what is presented about it in the Deities & Demigods book?

denthor
2017-02-20, 02:44 PM
I played a hobgoblin cleric of Toldeth with a 16 wisdom 9 intelligence in an evil monster game. I was Evil mostly Neutral / Chaotic.

So you are correct this does not play well with others however the party did like that I had a wagon to carry my alter around would sacrifice trolls for on the spot 2d8 +5 healing potions from the blood.

clever players can make it work. Made a god call when a kidnapping went wrong. It helped that we had taken down a 4th level guard with a magic bow and armor two of party members were "raised" as zombies rolled a natural 20 after pulling my alter from a sheet that acted as a portable hole. Yes she was a pip. I had a blast.

it was 10 years ago sorry about the wrong vowel.

Thurbane
2017-02-20, 02:55 PM
Where would one find such a list? I feel it will help me greatly with an upcoming project.

Seconded - where would one find such a list?

Incarnate
2017-02-20, 05:46 PM
I played a hobgoblin cleric of Toldeth with a 16 wisdom 9 intelligence in an evil monster game. I was Evil mostly Neutral / Chaotic.

So you are correct this does not play well with others however the party did like that I had a wagon to carry my alter around would sacrifice trolls for on the spot 2d8 +5 healing potions from the blood.

clever players can make it work. Made a god call when a kidnapping went wrong. It helped that we had taken down a 4th level guard with a magic bow and armor two of party members were "raised" as zombies rolled a natural 20 after pulling my alter from a sheet that acted as a portable hole. Yes she was a pip. I had a blast.

it was 10 years ago sorry about the wrong vowel.

Luckily the group that he's going to play the character with is an almost all evil party, with only one character in the group being chaotic neutral.
They're at 9'th level or the xp equivalent of that, so it's going to be interesting if he goes with Toldath as a dobbelganger or the other mentioned race.