PDA

View Full Version : By the Sword in My Hand, I Shall Conquer the Land

Anderlith
2017-02-19, 12:31 PM
If i wanted to make a hexblade/conquest paladin multiclass whats the best class/level ratio? Most pallock builds are 2/18 but i didnt know if some of the new Invocations are good enough to stick around for

X3r4ph
2017-02-19, 12:47 PM
Well. Since Warlock gives you Smite in itself now you should only dip Paladin to get proficiencies and a figthing style. Which is hardly a dip worth taking when you could go Fighter instead.

Either dont or go for the Aura.

Deleted
2017-02-19, 12:53 PM
If i wanted to make a hexblade/conquest paladin multiclass whats the best class/level ratio? Most pallock builds are 2/18 but i didnt know if some of the new Invocations are good enough to stick around for

Not sure why you want to dip.

The reason to multiclass is mechanical, you can always change fluff of classes.

What mechanical reason do you have to want to go Paladin? The hexblade is essentially a arcane paladin at this point.

Variant Human Soldier Warlock (Hexblade)
Feat: Heavily Armored (heavy armor prof, +1 Str)

Go straight Warlock.

Anderlith
2017-02-19, 08:52 PM
A paladin is more robust, & can survive combat better.

skaddix
2017-02-19, 10:30 PM
Well The Right Blend of Paladin and Hexblade can probably drop the most damage in a single attack with no prior setup.

Since you can double smite.

Paladin has important things at 5,6,7.
Warlock doesn't get 5th Level Spell Slots until 9th Level. Armor of Hexes at 10th Level. 6th Level Slot at 11th Level. Although the minimum is 3.

Hmm maybe 11 Warlock and 9 Paladin. You could also try 14/6 either way.

Deleted
2017-02-19, 10:36 PM

Eh...

Unless your DM is specifically targeting you in order to drop you, which then nothing can save you, 5e is made in such a way that (well, outside of level 1 or 2) that the difference between classes in terms of survivability is very minor.

d8 hit die, can debuff enemies, and heavy armor will make you plenty survivable.

You are basically a cleric that can't heal but healing during battle is typically a waste of time anyways (healing word and fast hands are the exception).

CursedRhubarb
2017-02-19, 10:57 PM

Paladin would have better saves and more heals, but the Hexblade can have a lot better avoidance so they even out pretty well on survivability.

With the Hexblade the lvl 10 ability is a very nice one so a 10/10 or 11/9 warlock/paladin split could work well if not just dipping 2-3 in paladin. Getting double smite with a 19-20 crit range with all the ways you can add extra die to attacks with these two classes is a scary thought.

Anderlith
2017-02-19, 11:49 PM
If i do an even split should i go pally first, hex second, then back to pally till extra attack then back to hex again?

skaddix
2017-02-20, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't say the main advantage of Paladins is surviving necessarily. Well actually yeah it is against MOBs but its more so boosting the ability of your allies to survive thanks to auras granting better saves, cleansing and healing (via Lay on Hands and Spells)

I wouldn't go an even split. 11/9 is better. I rate a 6th Level Spell Slot over prevent Frightening. Your a Paladin your helping their saves anyway. Mass Suggestion is a great Spell. Or you sack it and Eldritch Smite.

Depends on what features you want to get and when. And what your party composition is.