PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Refluffing Divine

ChaosRonin
2017-02-19, 03:58 PM
So I have been thinking of doing a campaign where there is no divine, and all magic is Arcane this mostly effects Cleric and I guess the Paladin's channel divinity.

Has anyone done anything like this before? What did you need change and re fluff? The biggest things that stick out to me are Domains and Divine Intervention.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-19, 04:11 PM
Paladin already draws his power from his conviction, so just change some fluff... though forcing him to use arcane foci instead of holy symbol is a nerf, as he can no longer use shield to use MS components. Those with two-handers are likely still fine, as are those who would take Warcaster anyway.

And druids and rangers use divine magic too.

Laurefindel
2017-02-19, 05:46 PM
So I have been thinking of doing a campaign where there is no divine, and all magic is Arcane this mostly effects Cleric and I guess the Paladin's channel divinity.

Has anyone done anything like this before? What did you need change and re fluff? The biggest things that stick out to me are Domains and Divine Intervention.

IIRC, the Fafhrd and gray mouser setting box in 2e AD&D had white magic practitionners (clerics) and black magic practitioners (mages), but "divine" and religion was left out of it. Both were types of wizards of two distinct traditions.. mechnically speaking, nothing was altered, it was just a matter of fluff. And it worked IMO.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in 5e. Only divine intervention needs refluffing, domains are just different branches of "white" Magic like wizard schools of magic.

ChaosRonin
2017-02-19, 07:39 PM
IIRC, the Fafhrd and gray mouser setting box in 2e AD&D had white magic practitionners (clerics) and black magic practitioners (mages), but "divine" and religion was left out of it. Both were types of wizards of two distinct traditions.. mechnically speaking, nothing was altered, it was just a matter of fluff. And it worked IMO.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in 5e. Only divine intervention needs refluffing, domains are just different branches of "white" Magic like wizard schools of magic.

Huh so simple I like it. I really should have thought of something like this as I totally love the Final Fantasy franchise but didn't think about using their classifications.

Just need to figure out what to do with Divine Intervention now.

Naanomi
2017-02-19, 07:48 PM
Just make it a tricky to get to work Wish equivalent that white magic can use if you don't want to get fancy with it