PDA

View Full Version : Help me rebuild my bard

WarKitty
2017-02-19, 06:12 PM
So I'm rebuilding a bard, because mythweavers. The rebuilt bard is:
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=980793
And my item list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/197QLzzNUhQuFwU4raSfKCk7mrlFJbkZQujXBWPJDgBI/edit?usp=sharing

Setting is forgotten realms. Material from other settings is disallowed. Dragon Mag is disallowed. Other stuff is probably allowed, but some may be subject to DM approval. I am going for lyric thaumaturge as a prestige class.

A few questions:
(1) Should I take false theurgy or social recovery as my third skill trick?
(2) I think I have the spells I want, but are there any big ones I'm missing? We have a beguiler so I'm not doing illusion spells
(3) I get a free forgotten realms regional feat. Currently I have magical training, but I take suggestions
(4) I have a little bit of gold left. Any odds and ends to spend it on?

General criticism also welcome!

tiercel
2017-02-20, 04:12 AM
For a buffer-focused bard, I'd assume you really, really want inspirational boost (SpC) as a 1st level spell (the danger being, you might not ever cast any other 1st level spell). The spell does fit neatly into a wand, though, if you don't mind scooping out 750gp of room from your budget (and assuming your campaign will have semi-regular downtime & access to Magi-Marts) - just go wand chamber on your weapon to keep it handy.

Some of your spells overlap with your beguiler buddy; this may or may not be a problem. (Being a somewhat casting-focused bard with a beguiler around may lead to occasional unavoidable duplication.)

I'm not sure about swift fly, since melee doesn't look to be your bag. Alter self is silly-good, as well as utility, but can be a headache rules-wise. If you're going Lyric Thaumaturge, you might want to ask your DM how Sonic Might will eventually work for you and start keeping your eyes out for some [Sonic] fun.

Mithral makes for a swish chain shirt, but seems basically mostly there for encumbrance purposes? You don't seem to need to worry about ACP. OTOH, your armor as-is IS on track for a cheap upgrade to mithralmist shirt....

You will so want a circlet of persuasion ASAP it isn't even funny. I'm not sure what would be best to drop at this point to get it, but +3 to all your social skills and especially UMD and even your charm person opposed Cha checks....

Speaking of UMD, utility scrolls seem like a nice thing to pack. (Wand of Lesser Vigor, too, but, budget.) It's arguable that as great as a handy haversack is, it really comes into its own when you have toys to play with. (Granted, there is that encumbrance to worry about if your DM is paying attention...)

WarKitty
2017-03-04, 06:40 PM
For a buffer-focused bard, I'd assume you really, really want inspirational boost (SpC) as a 1st level spell (the danger being, you might not ever cast any other 1st level spell). The spell does fit neatly into a wand, though, if you don't mind scooping out 750gp of room from your budget (and assuming your campaign will have semi-regular downtime & access to Magi-Marts) - just go wand chamber on your weapon to keep it handy.

Inspirational boost looks good, thanks! I think spell compendium is allowed.

I'm not sure about swift fly, since melee doesn't look to be your bag. Alter self is silly-good, as well as utility, but can be a headache rules-wise. If you're going Lyric Thaumaturge, you might want to ask your DM how Sonic Might will eventually work for you and start keeping your eyes out for some [Sonic] fun.

Swift fly was mostly one of those odd utility things. Plus with melee not being my thing getting out of melee isn't a bad idea.

Mithral makes for a swish chain shirt, but seems basically mostly there for encumbrance purposes? You don't seem to need to worry about ACP. OTOH, your armor as-is IS on track for a cheap upgrade to mithralmist shirt....

You're right, the mithral is for encumbrance. Silly 10 str. I kinda wanted a mithral breastplate but mithral chain +1 is cheaper.

You will so want a circlet of persuasion ASAP it isn't even funny. I'm not sure what would be best to drop at this point to get it, but +3 to all your social skills and especially UMD and even your charm person opposed Cha checks....

Saved for future reference, but not sure I can afford it now without giving up something equally nice.

Speaking of UMD, utility scrolls seem like a nice thing to pack. (Wand of Lesser Vigor, too, but, budget.) It's arguable that as great as a handy haversack is, it really comes into its own when you have toys to play with. (Granted, there is that encumbrance to worry about if your DM is paying attention...)

I haven't picked the free scrolls/potions that come with my feat. I do have a healing belt, which I figured was better than the wand.

Keld Denar
2017-03-04, 09:56 PM
Bard without Whirling Blade? For shame! Allows you to hit people with your Inspire Courage + Cha modifier from 60' away!

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 12:51 PM
Question regarding my 6th level feat: Is words of creation my best option? The other one I was considering was imperious command, especially as combined with the never outnumbered skill trick.