PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Phalanx Soldier Help

tatszico
2017-02-19, 08:31 PM
Hey! Was wondering if anyone can help me optimize a Phalanx Soldier fighter to have good damage output for being a defensive archetype. I'm quite new to Pathfinder, so I'm not totally familiar with a lot of the feats and traits yet.

So I was thinking of taking two-weapon fighting, improved shield bash, and power attack at 1st level. Then, at 3rd level when I can wield a polearm/spear, I'll either take Improve Bullrush or Combat Reflex, depending on if I want to play more defensively or offensively at that time.
One of my end goals is to have Shield Slam so that I may get the free Bull Rush. That's why I took TWF - if they get too close, I can shield bash, get my free Bull Rush, 5-foot step back, and then finish the attack with my long reach weapon. Does that make sense and work, or am I not getting the mechanics right? Haha.

But yeah, that's what I have set up for now. I would like to ask if there is anything wrong with what I have so far, and if there is anything else I can do to improve it. What other feats should I take? I think Shield Mastery will be one of them, but other than that, anything else to help out?
Are there any classes worth dipping into for multiclassing? What about armor and weapons, which type of armor should I focus on (medium or heavy) and which long-reach weapon would be the best for this build?

Geddy2112
2017-02-19, 09:39 PM
You have the jist of the build down. As a fighter, you get a bonus feat at second level, so you can pick up combat reflexes then. You don't really need improved bull rush, as shield slam gives a free bull rush that does not provoke. Greater bull rush is okay if the rest of the party can make use of it but it is not really all that good.

You won't be wearing heavy armor early on depending on your dex, and how far you wanna go down the TWF rabbit hole. You need 15 to qualify for TWF, and 16 gives a +3 to AC/initiative/reflex saves, as well as 3 extra attacks of opportunity. If you don't want improved or greater TWF, you can stop there. This will also still let you get the max dex bonus from mithral full plate.

Since you are power attacking, furious focus is never a bad feat. If you decide to put ranks into intimidate, cornagun smash is a great choice as well.

If you are LG, you could boost your charisma and look into the sacred shield paladin. Also, the stalwart defender prestige class might be worth looking into.

tatszico
2017-02-19, 10:27 PM
You have the jist of the build down. As a fighter, you get a bonus feat at second level, so you can pick up combat reflexes then. You don't really need improved bull rush, as shield slam gives a free bull rush that does not provoke. Greater bull rush is okay if the rest of the party can make use of it but it is not really all that good.

You won't be wearing heavy armor early on depending on your dex, and how far you wanna go down the TWF rabbit hole. You need 15 to qualify for TWF, and 16 gives a +3 to AC/initiative/reflex saves, as well as 3 extra attacks of opportunity. If you don't want improved or greater TWF, you can stop there. This will also still let you get the max dex bonus from mithral full plate.

Since you are power attacking, furious focus is never a bad feat. If you decide to put ranks into intimidate, cornagun smash is a great choice as well.

If you are LG, you could boost your charisma and look into the sacred shield paladin. Also, the stalwart defender prestige class might be worth looking into.
I was definitely looking into the Stalwart Defender. Haven't planned out the steps yet, but I hope I can fit the feat requirements with Fighter before level 7 while also providing a more offensive focus early on. You're definitely right about not getting Improved Bull Rush, but what are alternative feats that I can take that will help with early levels? Have not played with a reach weapon before, so any advice on that helps with maximizing damage output and movement.

Geddy2112
2017-02-20, 12:16 AM
You have power attack, which is the meat and potatoes for damage. With TWF and improved shield bash, you cover the bases. Combat reflexes at level 2 and the build is basically online. You won't have the most insane damage output compared to other builds, but your AC is going to be outright insane(19 or 20 at level 1) and just keep going up.

Getting your stalwart defender feats should be your next priority. I would take toughness last, as you should not be hurting for HP. Endurance is not terrible if you plan to wear medium armor so you can sleep in it and never be ambushed without your armor on, but if you want heavy take dodge first. If you have the dex, take the TWF tree feats when they come online. Shield slam and mastery of course when you get them.

If you really want to boost your no die ability, take shield focus and missile shield, further increasing your AC and giving you the ability to negate a ranged attack a turn.

tatszico
2017-02-20, 12:44 AM
You have power attack, which is the meat and potatoes for damage. With TWF and improved shield bash, you cover the bases. Combat reflexes at level 2 and the build is basically online. You won't have the most insane damage output compared to other builds, but your AC is going to be outright insane(19 or 20 at level 1) and just keep going up.

Getting your stalwart defender feats should be your next priority. I would take toughness last, as you should not be hurting for HP. Endurance is not terrible if you plan to wear medium armor so you can sleep in it and never be ambushed without your armor on, but if you want heavy take dodge first. If you have the dex, take the TWF tree feats when they come online. Shield slam and mastery of course when you get them.

If you really want to boost your no die ability, take shield focus and missile shield, further increasing your AC and giving you the ability to negate a ranged attack a turn.
Awesome, thanks! I also want to get Antagonize eventually, as it would be an awesome feature for the Stalwart Defender. With that being said, how should my stats be allocated? I would definitely want STR and DEX starting off as Phalanx Soldier, but it seems like CHA would be important for Agonize, and CON would be vital to maintain my Stances. With a 25 point buy, Human, and at level 8, what should it look like?

EDIT: Here's what I have so far. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1118486

Tuvarkz
2017-02-20, 02:05 AM
Do you have access to traits? If so, take Bruising Intellect, which lets you key Intimidate off intelligence rather than charisma.
That way, with 25 point buy, you go
16 (10)+2 STR 15 DEX (7) 14 CON (5) 14 INT (5) 12 WIS (2) 7 CHA (-4)

Geddy2112
2017-02-20, 10:09 AM
Awesome, thanks! I also want to get Antagonize eventually, as it would be an awesome feature for the Stalwart Defender. With that being said, how should my stats be allocated? I would definitely want STR and DEX starting off as Phalanx Soldier, but it seems like CHA would be important for Agonize, and CON would be vital to maintain my Stances. With a 25 point buy, Human, and at level 8, what should it look like?

EDIT: Here's what I have so far. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1118486
Looks pretty good. You can't have 10 wisdom as a fighter and expect to live-you need everything you can get to bolster that will save. Also, do you have the armored coat specifically so you can quickly don it if trouble comes knocking? You would be better off buying scale mail early on for more AC. Also, buy some shield spikes so your shield does more damage. Antagonize is a great feat for a stalwart defender as well.

Do you have access to traits? If so, take Bruising Intellect, which lets you key Intimidate off intelligence rather than charisma.
That way, with 25 point buy, you go
16 (10)+2 STR 15 DEX (7) 14 CON (5) 14 INT (5) 12 WIS (2) 7 CHA (-4)
This is a good array and bruising intellect is a good trait if you want to focus on intimidate. Even without the trait and dumping charisma, you get a +2 at level 1 for a single rank+class skill bonus. Maxing it out, you won't have much of a problem. I would probably boost your dex to 16 and bring INT back to 12, but that's just personal preference.

Diarmuid
2017-02-20, 01:10 PM
What long reach weapon are you using while also using a shield? I dont see where the Combat Reflexes really comes into play here.

tatszico
2017-02-20, 03:53 PM
What long reach weapon are you using while also using a shield? I dont see where the Combat Reflexes really comes into play here.

Will be using glaive-guisarme. just wanted more AoO to act as a sort of "wall" for my party, so that i can attempt to do damage multiple times in a round with my long reach.

PostMortemCP
2019-03-17, 09:24 AM
Doing some thread necromancy to tell y’all why not boat spear? Sure it isn’t the greatest but if an enemy charges you that +2 ac. Not to mention get it made of Elysian Bronze and boom you just flavored your guy as a Greek soldier