PDA

View Full Version : Animating the OOTS [Updated 12/08/07]

Eldred
2007-07-23, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone!

So, I've decided to create a small animated feature of the OOTS. No storyline or anything, more like a 3-minute trailer depicting the OOTS comics for newcomers. It's an idea I've had for a while, and now I'm gonna make it happen! I've got all the summer holidays to get it perfect and, except for this week, I'll have plenty of hours to work on it.

I've had to get used to Flash again, so at the moment my animation is a bit shabby. I've just got a simple example of my animation, and I'd love any comments/advice you can provide on my animating (any errors; if you think the things are randomly growing; maybe you like it? etc etc)

I plan to show you some more artboards that I've also made (however Flash's measurements in pixels are horrendously wrong, so I've had to enlarge everything).

Anyway, here's my first animation:
SCRUBBED

And Roy's artboard: (made one by scratch, then duplicated to save time)
SCRUBBED

Kinda basic at the mo. Also, the legs keep changing sizes so I'm gonna have to get fixed measurements. I'm also planning on moving the arms - not sure if that's a good idea yet, though. Might increase the FPS as well. Hope everyone likes V, I made him from scratch. I like the look of him/her, though the clasp needs improving. (Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules by drawing him/her. This was intended as a fan drawing/animation, not as an attempt to breach copyright :smalleek: )

Any and all comments appreciated! :smallsmile:

---------
Updates:
---------
25/07/07 - SCRUBBED
26/07/07 - SCRUBBED
09/08/07 - SCRUBBED
12/08/07 - SCRUBBED

onasuma
2007-07-23, 01:56 PM
Coolio. I think this is going to be really cool. Only thing, the end of V's headband keeps dissapearing.
good luck

Yeril
2007-07-23, 02:06 PM
the V walking looks realy sketchy and he jiggles up and down abit.

also if your doing a animation introducing oots to newcomers then why does roy have the crown?

Mysticaloctopus
2007-07-23, 02:11 PM
Like the work! Drawing from scratch is all allowed, The Giant just doesn't like it if people copy/edit his actual comics.

Omicroncubed
2007-07-23, 02:31 PM
Looking forward to it. Pretty well done walking :vaarsuvius:

Eldred
2007-07-23, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm currently working on an improved version of V walking, but it likely won't be finished until late tomorrow.

@onasuma: Thanks! :smallsmile: I've managed to fix V's headband on the new version. I think it was glitch on the original.

@Yeril: Like I said, my Flash work is still a bit sketchy as I haven't used it in a while. I've increased the FPS to try and help smooth out the animation. Also, I've managed to completely obliterate the jiggling, thanks to a little x and y :smallwink:

@Mysticaloctopus: Thank you! I was really worried my whole little project would have to be stopped because of the copyright and whatnot!

@Omicroncubed: Thanks! Planning to make more improvements!

If the animation goes smoothly tomorrow I'll post an artboard for either V or Haley.

Eldred
2007-07-25, 01:31 PM
Allow me to introduce:

SCRUBBED

and....

SCRUBBED

The animation took a little longer than expected. I think I'll stick to some more artboards until this busy week ends - then I'll have more time for doing animation.

Hope you enjoy it! :smallsmile: The next artboard should be up in 1-2 days.

Yeril
2007-07-25, 01:37 PM
Looks good, can't wait to see the final project :)

Kurien
2007-07-25, 01:45 PM
Those are near perfect copies of the characters! :smalleek:

Omicroncubed
2007-07-25, 01:47 PM
Looks good, can't wait to see the final project :)

Seconded. :smallsmile:

Lissou
2007-07-25, 04:32 PM
In Roy's board, there is one drawing where his sword's end doesn't show. Is that on purpose? It looks a bit weird, especially since it's the only drawing that does it.

(It's the middle row, second drawing from the left.)

Eldred
2007-07-26, 02:09 AM
Ahh, that was meant to be a drawing of Roy when his sword was shattered (not sure why he looks so happy about it though).

And now you mention it, it does seem a little out of place :smallconfused:

Abardam
2007-07-26, 06:38 AM
This rocks. Also it's really close to the original. Though you should probably put some upward and downward motion on the body, in the walk animation.

Yeril
2007-07-26, 08:01 AM
Yeah I agree with Abardam, some Bobbing up and down slightly as they walk would help it loads.

Also remember with hayley that her ponytail is not frigid and would move at a slight delay to her head atlhough it doesnt have to because that might A) look silly and B) be too much effort for poor you :smallfrown: your already doing some awesome work we wouldn't wana overload you :smallbiggrin:

MR.PIXIE
2007-07-26, 09:54 AM
Can you do artbords for every charactor?:smallsmile:

Kurien
2007-07-26, 09:58 AM
Yeah I agree with Abardam, some Bobbing up and down slightly as they walk would help it loads.

Also remember with hayley that her ponytail is not frigid and would move at a slight delay to her head atlhough it doesnt have to because that might A) look silly and B) be too much effort for poor you :smallfrown: your already doing some awesome work we wouldn't wana overload you :smallbiggrin:

If he made her hair move, then capes and cloaks should move slightly.

Of course, he doesn't have to; they're awesome as it is.

Eldred
2007-07-26, 02:45 PM
OK, I've been having a problem with Flash. It happens a lot. I think it's just me, but sometimes Flash just does not like me. I was attempting to make an artboard for Belkar, and... well, this link (http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/chrisheard345/BigBelkar.jpg) pretty much sums up the problem by comparing it with V.

I've spent about 2 hours trying to sort it out, but I've had no luck. So no artboard today. :smallfrown:

BUT! The good news is that I managed to sneak a look at the thread while I was at work, and so was able to add the "bob" to V's animation! I was a bit skeptical at first, but it really has helped! Thanks for the idea!

SCRUBBED

@Abardam: Thanks! I've done my best to get each character as near to the original as possible. And thanks to the recommendation! Hopefully the motion in the updated walk above is the kind of thing you were looking for.

@Yeril: Hmm, you've got a point with the hair. I can give it a go when I start animating her, but like you said, it could end up looking silly. I'll try and work a way round it! (Oh, and don't worry about overloading me. I'm usually stuck thinking what to do anyway :smallwink: )

@MR.PIXIE: Hehe, well at the moment my focus is doing artboards of all the OOTS. I've also considered doing an artboard of Team Evil. I'd love to do more though! They're good fun! As the project gets further on, I'll be putting a lot more time into creating the main animation (which I'm hiding in darkness until it is finished). If I feel that this thread needs a snazzy new update, however, I'll make an artboard of a random character (maybe some Linear Guild) so that everyone knows I'm still hard at work.

@Kurnour: Well, I don't have to, but... :smallbiggrin:
While I would like to have animated capes, they seem a lot more difficult to animate than limbs. I had only imagined having to animate capes if there was a strong wind, or whatnot. When I'm stuck for ideas, I'll try animating a cape and see how it turns out.

Enjoy the update!! :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2007-07-26, 05:57 PM
Verry good! :smallbiggrin:

Now I think ya gotta do something about the clothing, like the cape blowing as she walks, or some sort of movement on the robe that better indicates movement...ya kno somethin like that, but its comin out really good! :smallbiggrin:

MR.PIXIE
2007-08-02, 05:39 PM
keep working... this suff is realy cool:smallbiggrin:

Brickwall
2007-08-05, 10:20 PM
Just don't make it too complex. The beauty of OotS artwork is in its strangely artistic simplicity.

It's all looking good so far, though.

tensen01
2007-08-08, 12:20 AM
Only thing is that when a person walks the arm that is forward is on the side of the leg that's back... if that made sense.

Other than that looks great

Eldred
2007-08-09, 06:13 AM
Hey everyone.

So, it's been... wow, way too long to have gone without an update. Unfortunately, I only have the one artboard for you. :smallfrown:

SCRUBBED

This last week I've hit a +5 Brick Wall. Problems have been popping up everywhere, and I've had to make a campaign for my D&D group. But, I hope, I can get some more time into working on the animation.

I've easily got a solid month to work on it, before college steps in to give me a good kicking. :smalleek: However, I will continue to work on the animation as much as possible.

Just thought it was best for everyone to know. I haven't given up yet! :smallsmile:

banjo1985
2007-08-09, 06:25 AM
Good stuff, I for one have no skill with animation so anyone who does this good a job is worthy of note to me! V's looking fairly smooth, and the artboards for the other characters are pretty exhaustive.

Keep going on these, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results further down the line!

Ichneumon
2007-08-09, 06:26 AM
This is just awesome....:smalleek:

Omicroncubed
2007-08-09, 07:31 AM
This is just awesome....:smalleek: I'm gonna second that :smallbiggrin:

Peacehammer
2007-08-11, 05:03 AM
Just thought that I should show you something. There is a guy called Abardam who has started making an entire game. It actually works. Take a look. Maybe you two could team up or something and do mutual updates since you are both master flashes.

Possibly.

Anyway, take a look. The animation isn't quite as smooth as yours, but it does stuff!

Here is the link:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39431

Omicroncubed
2007-08-11, 07:37 AM
I remembered there was a game like that, but I couldn't find it anymore.

Yeril
2007-08-11, 09:53 AM
Going by the sheer pwnagesomeness of the artboards, Im realy looking forward to this :smallbiggrin:

Can we get a sneak peek of who your working on for your next artboard? :smallwink:

Eldred
2007-08-12, 02:36 PM
Going by the sheer pwnagesomeness of the artboards, Im realy looking forward to this :smallbiggrin:

Can we get a sneak peek of who your working on for your next artboard? :smallwink:
Hehe, glad you're enjoying it! *increase pwnage rating* :smallsmile:

And a sneak peek? Tut tut tut... I'll give you the next completed artboard instead!! :smalltongue:

SCRUBBED

And so everyone knows, I've started the main animation now. I spent about 4 hours on it, and in that time I was able to make a mighty 10 seconds! *cries*

This could take all of time to finish, but it will be done... it will... be... done...

@banjo1985: Thanks! Glad to know you like it! The finished results could be a long way down the line though :smallannoyed:

@Ichneumon and Omicroncubed: Thankies! Looks like I need to increase the awesome rating aswell... :smallsmile:

@Peacehammer: You've brought up an excellent idea! I remember playing Abardam's game, which was reeking in awesomeness. And you've also brought up an idea that we could interlink the trailer and game together on a single Flash file. That is only if Abardam's willing to do so. I don't know what version of Flash he uses and stuff so it could get a bit messy. At the moment, I'm not too worried about it. Once the animation is nearing completion, I'll get in contact with him and see what he thinks.

Until the next update, folks!

Yeril
2007-08-12, 04:20 PM
Congratulations! You leveled up in awesome!

Gain +2 ranks in proffecion (Awesome) and Improved Pwnage as a bonus feat!
:smallwink:

Abardam
2007-08-13, 07:03 AM
@Peacehammer: You've brought up an excellent idea! I remember playing Abardam's game, which was reeking in awesomeness. And you've also brought up an idea that we could interlink the trailer and game together on a single Flash file. That is only if Abardam's willing to do so. I don't know what version of Flash he uses and stuff so it could get a bit messy. At the moment, I'm not too worried about it. Once the animation is nearing completion, I'll get in contact with him and see what he thinks.I use 7. Yeah, yeah, it's old and I'm cheap. I'll see if I can get my parents to get 9 or something (CS3 sounds a bit too much). Anyway, honestly I'd say your models are better (I can't say I'm that proud of how Haley came out - I pretty much rushed her).

Looking forward to see the rest of your work!

hyikim
2007-08-13, 07:45 AM
i dont know if its just me, but are V's arms moving twice as fast as they should, as in 2 swings per step... it could just be me...

Eldred
2007-08-13, 12:03 PM
Congratulations! You leveled up in awesome!
Oooo, do you mind if I sig that? *sigs* :smallsmile:

I use 7. Yeah, yeah, it's old and I'm cheap. I'll see if I can get my parents to get 9 or something (CS3 sounds a bit too much). Anyway, honestly I'd say your models are better (I can't say I'm that proud of how Haley came out - I pretty much rushed her).

Looking forward to see the rest of your work!

Ahh, well I'm using Flash MX at the mo (2004, I think). Nifty stuff. I had a friend install his onto my computer, so I got off quite cheap. But all of Macromedia's other stuff is so... damn... expensive... :smalleek:

Actually, a different idea has popped into my head. Perhaps after I've finished this project, you would like to team up together on a different project? I do warn you that I am completely useless at Actionscript. I always have to look it up. The only actionscript I know is, erm... "stop();" :smallredface:

i dont know if its just me, but are V's arms moving twice as fast as they should, as in 2 swings per step... it could just be me...
It's not just you, trust me. It haunts me too. The problem was that it took 24 frames to do the single step. I could have halved it to 12 fps, but then the animation gets worse. Now, in those 24 frames the legs have the furthest distance to travel, whereas the arms rotate on a single point. There's a limit to how far those arms can rotate before it looks stupid, and to make the animation loop I had to return the arms to their original position. Hence the "two arm swings, one step".

At the moment, I'm not sure if I'll change it yet. I've got the main animation to work on at the moment. I also have to bear in mind that the walking animation will only be on screen for about... 3-5 seconds. Sometimes, to save time it's easier to skim corners. And time is a precious thing when it comes to animating.

Hope that clears that up! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, and hurray for Page 2! Thanks for your continued support, everyone!

Yeril
2007-08-31, 01:50 PM
Hows it coming along? :smallbiggrin:

Mongo 900 B.C
2007-09-02, 04:52 PM
This is awsome if there was a oots game (besides the on mentioned on this thread) but like on xbox or some thin itd be sweet........... but ya keep at it this stuff is wicked awsome

Eldred
2007-09-04, 03:08 PM
A quick overview of the situation:
So, there has been a quite noticeable lack of updates - something that has been irritating me hugely. I've let a lot of things get in the way of this side-project and while I could easily just abandon the project, I won't, because I'm stubborn like that. :smalltongue:

This year's summer holidays has been the most hectic in my life. I have had several karate courses, one of which I was helping out in. My summer job took up a lot more time than I expected, and often left me fatigued with a -2 morale penalty. Fun...

So while I haven't been able to do much animating, I have done a bit of storyboarding for it. Not a lot, but some nonetheless.

And now I have college coming up next week... and that's actually where some good news could slip in.

Two of my courses that I'm taking at college are Film Studies and a National Award (in Moving Image, Television and Film). Now, at the moment I haven't technically started college, however once I do I will make the effort to have a quick chat with the teachers regarding these subjects and see if an animation could be used as course material. If so, huzzah!! I will be able to a good deal more time on the animation as it will: 1. Be something for the GitP community, and 2. Be something for my further education!

Ok, I've gotta dash now and do some farmwork (ugh...), but hopefully this give a better view of the situation at my end. :smallfrown:

The Giant
2007-09-04, 03:33 PM
Well, this is one of those unfortunate times in the life of someone who creates IP for a living...

I'm going to have to ask that you stop working on this. I can't allow anyone other than myself or designated representatives to use the OOTS characters in an animation. The use of OOTS characters is not freely permitted, because to allow anyone to do so can cause me to lose the characters' trademark status, and thus my ability to support myself using them. It doesn't make a difference whether the animation is for profit or not; now that someone has pointed this thread out to me, I must ask that it stop.

You would be free to use your own stick figure characters in an animation, but your animations/artboards are currently exact copies of my characters. Using them without permission is only allowed by law under a specific tightly-defined set of circumstances (parody, academic use, or excerpting for review), and this animation doesn't fall under any of those.

I'm sorry you went through this work, but you should have asked permission to use the OOTS characters before beginning this project. I would have still been required to decline, but at least you would have known beforehand instead of after the fact.

The Voice of Mod: I'm not going to lock this thread, but I am going to scrub out the URLs to animations. Please don't repost them, or any new ones.

ufo
2007-09-04, 04:22 PM
Waagh! The Giant still lives! Jubilation!

Eldred, were you using an SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) program like Inkscape or Illustrator? If yes, the damage should'nt be major. Just replace the faces and clothes and names and voíla!

Lyinginbedmon
2007-09-04, 04:25 PM
There's the big Leroy story arc going on in Avatar Battle Royale III at the moment, I'm sure everyone involved would love to see their characters animated .