PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal Druid flavor ideas?

MintyThe1st
2017-02-20, 03:18 AM
Vighro the Beast lvl 13 (Druid 13)
Neanderthal
Chaotic Neutral

HP 169/169

str 21 +5
dex 16 +3
con 20 +5
int 12 +1
wis 19 +4
cha 10 +0

AC 18 flat 15(cant) touch 13
DR
SR
hit 16/11 melee, 14/9 ranged
BAB 9
init: 3(8 primal instinct)
fort: 13
ref: 7(12 primal speed)
will: 12

move: 30(40 Primal speed)

language: common, druidic, draconic

weapon: Masterwork Greatclub (1d10+7) Shillelagh(3d8+8) (Brambles +10)
Masterwork Composite Shortbow (1d6+5)
Masterwork Quarterstaff(Spellstaff: Heal) (1d4+5)

spells:

0th:6 create water, detect poison(2), detect magic(2), light
1st:6 Produce flame, Speak with animals(2), Reduce Animal, Shillelagh(2),
2nd:6 Brambles, Bear's Endurance(2), Animalistic Might, Resist energy, Primal hunter,
3rd:5 greater magic fang, Poison(2), speak with plants, Primal instinct,
4th:5 flame strike(3), Hibernal healing, Primal senses,
5th:3 Animal growth, stoneskin, tree stride,
6th:2 Wall of Stone, Primal speed,
7th:1 heal

abilities: Primitive Weapon Mastery, Climate Tolerant, Human Blood, Illiteracy, animal

companion, nature sence, wild empathy(+2), woodland stride, trackless step, resist

nature's lure, wildshape 4/day (large-tiny, plant, dragon), a thousand faces, Uncanny

dodge (2 primal spells active), improved uncanny dodge (all primal spells active)

Immunities:

armour: masterwork white dragonhide breastplate

items: Primitive Fur Clothing, primitive stone tools, White dragon skull(worn on head)

Feats: natural bond, Spontanious healing, natural spell, Dragon Cohort, Dragon

wildshape,

Skills: (primal bonus': +5 listen, spot, survival, climb, jump, and swim)

Concentration 16 CON no no
Craft 0 INT no no
Diplomacy 0 CHA no no
Handle Animal 16 CHA yes no
Heal 0 WIS no no
Knowledge (nature) 15 INT+2 yes no
Knowledge (religion) 4 INT yes no
Listen 10 WIS+7 no no
Profession 0 WIS yes no
Ride 0 DEX+2 no no
Speak Language 1(CC) None no no
Spellcraft 0 INT yes no
Spot 10 WIS+7 no no
Survival 5 WIS+9 no no
Swim 2 STR+5 no yes

Dragon Cohort:

Snowy (Wyrmling White Dragon)

Size/Type: Tiny Dragon
Hit Dice: 3d12+9d6(Ninja)+60 (150)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 60 ft., burrow 30 ft., fly 150 ft. (average), swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +2 natural, +4 Ninja), touch 16, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+7
Attack: +15 bite (1d4+4) or +15 claw 1d3+2)
Full Attack: +15 bite (1d4+4) and 2 +13 claws (1d3+2)
Space/Reach: 2.5ft/0ft
Special Attacks: Cone of cold (1d6 DC15 Ref)
Special Qualities: Icewalking, immunity to cold, vulnerability to fire, Ki Power

10/day, Sudden strike +5d6+12, trapfinding, Ghost step

(invisible, ethereal), poison use, Ki Dodge, Ghost Strike,

Improved Poison Use,
Saves: fort +11 ref +9 will +10
Abilities: STR 18, DEX 10, CON 20, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 8
Skills: Listen +17, Spot +17, Search +13, Hide +23, Move Silently +15
Feats: Flyby attack, Multi-attack, Craven, Enduring Ki, Expanded ki

pool

Animal companion:

Kitty (Smilodon)

Size/Type: Large Animal(Warbeast)
Hit Dice: 14d8+84 (198)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+22
Attack: Bite +18 melee (2d6+9/x3)
Full Attack: Bite +18 melee (2d6+9/x3) and 2 claws +13 Melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: augment critical, improved grab, pounce, rake (1d6+4)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, link, share spells, evasion, devotion,
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +10, Hide +4(10), Jump +21, Listen +10, Move Silently

+10, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Mobility, Spring attack, Improved toughness,

Soon i'll be playing a Neanderthal druid from the far north. he'll be a fairly typical primitive caveman type character, so i was wondering what good wildshapes or spells or summons i could use.

Venger
2017-02-20, 03:39 AM
eggynack's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook) walks you through those aspects (and many more) of being a druid.

MintyThe1st
2017-02-20, 04:27 AM
This isn't an exercise in optimization, it's about flavor.

things that would make sense coming from a primitive man native to the Frostfell.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-20, 04:36 AM
Not wildshapes or summons, but Ur is one of the few items from Weapons of Legacy that isn't actively terrible for its price. It's explicitly a prehistoric handaxe and very flavourful.

eggynack
2017-02-20, 04:55 AM
I'm not really sure what a neanderthal druid would mean, to be honest. The vast majority of things associated with druids are kinda neanderthaly. They have a focus on animals and such, and their spells tend to be environmentally based, and there's dinosaurs, and all that stuff has that old world vibe to it. Weirdly, you might have gotten further from the character's flavor using dragon stuff, and incorporating relatively non-druid elements like craven and poison use. Really standard druid things like a fleshraker companion, wild shape into bear or bat form, and spells like produce flame and blizzard, might get you closer to concept than you are right now. The smilodon is fine though. Oh, wait, use the primal line of spells from dragon magic. Those are powerful and thematic and junk, and you don't have them on your list. That's a bit more out there.

MintyThe1st
2017-02-20, 05:45 AM
Updated character sheet

yes, i like the primal spells, 24 hour duration brings back memories of playing a warlock.

the spells i listed are for non-downtime casting, our group mostly hand-waves downtime casting. I fully intend to build my own cave with wall of stone :P

As for Ur, it sounds nice, but weapons of legacy aren't exactly handed out on character creation, and the situation in-world right now is a tad apocalyptic, so i doubt i'll be able to justify an adventure to go find some hunk of rock to the party just for flavor reasons.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-20, 05:53 AM
As for Ur, it sounds nice, but weapons of legacy aren't exactly handed out on character creation, and the situation in-world right now is a tad apocalyptic, so i doubt i'll be able to justify an adventure to go find some hunk of rock to the party just for flavor reasons.

They actually can, since they have prices and everything. The price of a weapon of legacy for which you didn't do any ritual is that of a normal magic item of its kind (so about a couple thousand gp), then you can invest more resources in it at any time to unlock additional abilities. Wheter or not this is worth for the vast majority of legacy weapons is up to you.

Palanan
2017-02-20, 10:55 AM
For genuine Neanderthal flavor, it’s hard to go wrong with an aurochs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals-2/herd-animals/aurochs/), which was a massive and ill-tempered ancestor to modern cattle. A stampede of aurochs is both flavorful and effective.

You might also consider the giant elk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals-2/herd-animals/elk/herd-animal-elk-megaloceros/), which has a ten-foot spread of antlers, for an impressive wildshape option. And don’t forget cave bears (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals-2/bear/dire-bear/) either.

For pure flavor, you might give your character a bone flute to play. No mechanical effect, but the Neanderthals had bone flutes at least forty thousand years ago, so that would be an authentically ancient touch.

MintyThe1st
2017-02-21, 08:12 AM
So, I introduced the character, and wouldn't you know it, the other players immediately derailed my primitive motif and now want to use me as a "Master of disguise" because of metallic dragons SU ability to turn into any small or medium humanoid.

go figure, lol.

eggynack
2017-02-21, 08:40 AM
So, I introduced the character, and wouldn't you know it, the other players immediately derailed my primitive motif and now want to use me as a "Master of disguise" because of metallic dragons SU ability to turn into any small or medium humanoid.

go figure, lol.
Pretty inevitable that it'd go in some direction like that. Dragon wild shape is all about wacky utility. If you weren't doing this you might be traveling around as mist, or using true seeing for some scouting, or stealthing as a shadow dragon. None of these are all that primitive.

Palanan
2017-02-21, 09:09 AM
Mist isn't primitive? :smallconfused:

To me it's downright primeval.

eggynack
2017-02-21, 09:13 AM
Mist isn't primitive? :smallconfused:

To me it's downright primeval.
The mist itself, I guess. Taking on a mist form and using that as a form to cast spells from, less so. Maybe not completely absent of primitiveness, but it has a more vampiric and defensive vibe to me. But, y'know, OP, if you disagree, mist dragon. Check it out (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031226a).