PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Concentration Homebrew

Vichrae
2017-02-20, 06:40 AM
While I agree with the 5e developers that buff spells needed to be kept in check, I feel they went a bit too far with an across the board limit of one concentration spell maintained at any given time. Particularly since so many spells require concentration.

I am considering the following rule for the campaign I'm starting next month. Before I implement it, I'm interested in feedback. Does this swing the pendulum back too far?

​Concentration: A caster with 8 full levels of the spellcasting ability (e.g. an 8th level wizard, or a 16th level paladin) may maintain concentration on 2 spells at once with a penalty of -5 to any concentration checks made. A caster with 16 full levels of the spellcasting ability may maintain concentration on 3 spells at once with a penalty of -10 to any concentration checks made.

Wymmerdann
2017-02-20, 06:57 AM
At a glance I'd say that the concentration penalty is a good idea, but it makes the two relevant feats [Warcaster and Resilient:Con] pretty important, especially for high level play.

Given that some buffs already don't require concentration, it might be worth looking at the classes your pc's are going to take, and what exactly they can accomplish with the extra slots. If you end up with combinations that are unhittable by the mooks you intend on throwing at them, then the concentration penalty is a bit of a moot point.

Malifice
2017-02-20, 07:04 AM
While I agree with the 5e developers that buff spells needed to be kept in check, I feel they went a bit too far with an across the board limit of one concentration spell maintained at any given time. Particularly since so many spells require concentration.

I am considering the following rule for the campaign I'm starting next month. Before I implement it, I'm interested in feedback. Does this swing the pendulum back too far?

​Concentration: A caster with 8 full levels of the spellcasting ability (e.g. an 8th level wizard, or a 16th level paladin) may maintain concentration on 2 spells at once with a penalty of -5 to any concentration checks made. A caster with 16 full levels of the spellcasting ability may maintain concentration on 3 spells at once with a penalty of -10 to any concentration checks made.

I'd probably make it a feat.

You can concentrate on two spells at once. That would probably do it.

Cespenar
2017-02-20, 07:11 AM
I'd say put an additional caveat that the spells you concentrate simultaneously couldn't have a combined spell level more than the highest level spell you can cast.

Like as a 8th level wizard, you can concentrate on two 2nd level spells, or one 3rd and one 1st. But not one 4th and one 3rd.

This helps check the "power" but allow a bit of versatility instead.

Byke
2017-02-20, 09:10 AM
We are playing with a similar house rule and it's been a lot more fun being a caster.

The only other caveat we stipulated was that you could only have one defensive and one offensive concentration spell. IE you can't stack two conc buffs.

Vichrae
2017-02-20, 01:54 PM
I'd say put an additional caveat that the spells you concentrate simultaneously couldn't have a combined spell level more than the highest level spell you can cast.

Like as a 8th level wizard, you can concentrate on two 2nd level spells, or one 3rd and one 1st. But not one 4th and one 3rd.

I like this idea. I think I'll run with this.

Foxhound438
2017-02-20, 02:10 PM
I agree with the combined spell level restriction- and maybe also say you can't have 2 of the same spell, or else everyone will always default to casting haste on two things starting at level 8.

Vichrae
2017-02-20, 02:15 PM
I agree with the combined spell level restriction- and maybe also say you can't have 2 of the same spell, or else everyone will always default to casting haste on two things starting at level 8.

Agreed! Added this.

Spectre9000
2017-02-20, 02:22 PM
I love Vichrae's idea, however, as with many things, Metamagic is there to screw things(balance) up.

Twinning concentration spells allows a sorcerer to effectively have two of the same buff active at a time. Allowing them to have a second concentration spell is effectively allowing them to have 4 concentration spells. I am uncertain how to handle this caveat.

A level 13 sorcerer for example could Haste and Polymorph two teammates into Hasted T-Rexes.

Desamir
2017-02-20, 04:18 PM

Clever. This might make some normally-ignored lower level concentration spells actually worth using.

No brains
2017-02-20, 06:49 PM

One thing you will need to watch for if you do this is certain abilities that require concentration but are not spells. For example: a trickery cleric can invoke duplicity and then cast antimagic field on themselves, casting spells as normal from their illusion outside the zone.

BigONotation
2017-02-20, 07:07 PM
Anything that adds power or versatility to full casters without giving some like or greater power to 1/2 casters and below proportionally is grossly overpowered. It's why I'd never allow a Bladesinger in my campaigns (as a PC), shades of 3.X and Monte Cook's exultation of full casters I do not need.

I've seen a large number of full casters up to 16th level and they already wreck the balance of the game. WotC knows this and that's why they won't publish adventures beyond 15th.

Vichrae
2017-02-20, 07:53 PM
It's why I'd never allow a Bladesinger in my campaigns (as a PC)

I was a bit surprised to see this. Bladesinger is interesting, to be sure, but certainly not more powerful than an abjurer defensively?

If a player wanted to be a Bladesinger I wouldn't disallow it. If their high AC became an issue, there are lots of ways to get around AC. And not letting them get back those 2 uses per short rest is always possible.

My issue with Bladesinger is much more a thematic one. They don't really bring much to the table in melee, especially compared to an EK, TR, or Valor Bard, and if you play them as a GOD, slinging spells from range and just using your bladesong defensively, that hardly fits what a Bladesinger is.

Malifice
2017-02-20, 09:07 PM

Dont mind that.

A Feat that lets you concentrate on 2 spells at once, however the combined levels cannot be more than the highest level spell you can cast.

Malifice
2017-02-20, 09:13 PM
Anything that adds power or versatility to full casters without giving some like or greater power to 1/2 casters and below proportionally is grossly overpowered. It's why I'd never allow a Bladesinger in my campaigns (as a PC), shades of 3.X and Monte Cook's exultation of full casters I do not need.

Bladesingers are weak compared to other casters (Diviner, Abjurer etc). They give up some amazing casting buffs (enhancing their core schtick) in exchange for a better AC (but nothing else).

At mid levels onwards AC is bypassed by around 50% of all attacks in any event (AoEs, saves etc)

I've seen a large number of full casters up to 16th level and they already wreck the balance of the game. WotC knows this and that's why they won't publish adventures beyond 15th.

I hazard a guess that whomever is DMing your games at 15th+ just isnt very good at DMing high level PCs. Dont get me wrong, it's much harder to DM high level PCs than low level ones. You have to set entirely different quests than what they were doing previously.

Most DMs struggle at higher level. They then usually pack in the game grumbling. Ergo they get no experience in DMing high level parties (and plenty of experience DMing low level parties where PC options are lower, and its simpler to plan adventures for).

I suggest next time they get to higher level, you really focus on multi encounter adventuring days, exotic locations (planes etc) and adventuring locales, time limited quests, riddles, social encounters, audiences with Gods and powerful Demons and Angels and so forth, and dont pack it in.

The only way to learn how to DM higher level partes, is to DM higher level parties.