PDA

View Full Version : Favourite choices for Pact of the Tome Warlock

Haydensan
2017-02-20, 07:20 AM
I see this option for warlock is rated quite highly and it obviously comes with tonnes of options.

I'd like the thread to be a discussion of people's favourite choices and their use of pact of the time and or book of ancient secrets.

Khutef
2017-02-20, 07:33 AM
My experiences in playing a tomelock:
Water Walk -ritual makes traversing a swamp almost pleasant.
With 3 different damage cantrips (EB, Chill Touch and Poison Spray) my lock is able to adapt to different threats easily.
Without another arcane caster, the tomelock is a very viable main caster.

Tons of options and can go for the whole adventuring day without running out of power.

Addaran
2017-02-20, 09:12 AM
The 3 extra cantrips from any list are great. Guidance to have a support-y role. Another damage cantrip if you want alternative to attack rolls or a specific damage type (fire or chill touch to stop regeneration). Shillelagh and/or SCAG cantrip to be a pseudo-bladelock.

For rituals, Find Familiar to steal some of the Chain's thunder. Comprehend Languages or Identify if nobody have it in the party. It probably won't be needed that often, but it's extra nice to have when it's needed.

When you reach higher levels, there is the super convenient water walking, water breathing, leomund's tiny hut, etc.

solidork
2017-02-20, 09:21 AM
I've heard that some DMs won't let you use them, but I LOVE the Cleric divination spells.(Augury, Divination and Commune)

I played a Rogue with Ritual Caster(Wizard), and I managed to find a use of pretty much every ritual I found, even Magic Mouth.(I cast it on my ritual book so that if anyone other than me or my friends touched it it would scream bloody murder)

silveralen
2017-02-20, 09:30 AM
Quite a few of the cleric rituals are both fluffy and useful for getting info from your patron/their servants.

Shillelagh as a charisma spell is obviously useful for some gishes, and warlock is less of a dip to get it than bard.

Beyond that it mostly just depends what your party does/doesn't have.

Vaz
2017-02-20, 11:41 AM
Guidance, Shillelagh and Shocking Grasp are all pretty good spells to pick up.

For rituals, Alarm, Meld Into Stone, Water Breathing, Augury, Identify all have their use i n my games, even those with Druids and Wizards as it eases their preparation load; just make sure you ask them to pony up part of the cost, and as a Great Old One warlock, you now have the ability for limited vision outside of the stone courtesy of the new Invocations. A weapon of warning just makes you a pretty awesome guard dog and you don't even need to . Set some Alarms up before you settle down, and then Meld Into Stone, using the weapon of warning. Congrats, you can now sleep in peace without being surprised, your party gets a full nights rest and you don't attacked when sentry duty comes up.

It doesn't excuse Sentry Duty of course as you may need to look out for something but until that time comes around, you are basically immune to those things.

Jerrykhor
2017-02-20, 08:35 PM
Cantrips: Guidance, Vicious Mockery, Spare the Dying

Guidance is just all around great. Vicious Mockery for the times when you want to insult your enemies and add some extra burn. Spare the Dying for the times when our cleric is down, and the best thing is drawing the 'omg a support warlock' response from my friends. If using it for the first time in the campaign, best to wait for someone to fail 2 death saves just to make him/her super worried about dying.:smallbiggrin:

Rituals: Detect magic, comprehend languages.

Zalphon
2017-02-21, 12:13 AM
I see this option for warlock is rated quite highly and it obviously comes with tonnes of options.

I'd like the thread to be a discussion of people's favourite choices and their use of pact of the time and or book of ancient secrets.

Pact of the Tome: I prefer to grab Shillelagh, Greenflame Blade, and Vicious Mockery for the rare occasion when I find myself trapped in melee with no alternative.

Book of Ancient Secrets: I grab Find Familiar so I may have the owl to serve as my scout and Identify, because at 7th level, I take Eldritch Sight and thus can Detect Magic at all times, so I don't want to waste my freebie on DM.