PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A UA Artificer's Thunder Cannon

Regitnui
2017-02-20, 07:49 AM
One of my players wants to roll up one of these guys. He asked me what his attack modifier on the cannon is. I looked at the UA, and besides proficiency, i don't see anything explicit. I told him: Proficiency plus Dex modifier, as it's a ranged weapon. This is UA material. Am I right, wrong, or bananas?

Master O'Laughs
2017-02-20, 08:07 AM
Yes, I do believe any ranged weapon uses the dex modifier for attack and damage unless specifically stated otherwise in the description of the item (UA Kensai Monk).

Don't worry, you are not crazy... yet

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-20, 08:09 AM
i made it a strength plus prof due to it being a "Thunder Gun" it must have recoil or knockback.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-20, 08:14 AM
In its article is calls it a ranged weapon and all range weapons use Dex as it to hit and damage modifier.

Regitnui
2017-02-20, 08:21 AM
Yes, I do believe any ranged weapon uses the dex modifier for attack and damage unless specifically stated otherwise in the description of the item (UA Kensai Monk).

Don't worry, you are not crazy... yet

Reassuring. Thanks, Playgrounders.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-20, 08:22 AM
Ranged weapon, so it defaults to Dex.

Hmm... I was just reviewing this, and I'm amused that it gives you two tool proficiencies, and expertise in said proficiencies... but it never says they had to be crafting tools...

Hawkstar
2017-02-20, 09:12 AM
Ranged weapon, so it defaults to Dex.

Hmm... I was just reviewing this, and I'm amused that it gives you two tool proficiencies, and expertise in said proficiencies... but it never says they had to be crafting tools...

Artificers make the best drummers.

Beleriphon
2017-02-20, 10:26 AM
Artificers make the best drummers.

Indeed, they also make awesome navigators is seams.

Dr. Cliché
2017-02-20, 10:31 AM
Indeed, they also make awesome navigators is seams.

In fairness, this is Eberron we're talking about - those magitek airships don't steer themselves, you know. :smallwink:

At least, I'm assuming they don't. :smallconfused:

Beleriphon
2017-02-20, 10:42 AM
In fairness, this is Eberron we're talking about - those magitek airships don't steer themselves, you know. :smallwink:

At least, I'm assuming they don't. :smallconfused:

They don't but you're as likely to get an unclassed commoner with a dragonmark flying one as any adventuring class.

RazDelacroix
2017-02-20, 11:28 AM
Magitech airships do not steer, pilot, navigate, clean, fight, flight, or otherwise perform actions themselves.

Yet!

"Alright everyone! Let's infuse this ship with the soul of the dragon we just killed! There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong with this!"

Dr. Cliché
2017-02-20, 11:33 AM
Magitech airships do not steer, pilot, navigate, clean, fight, flight, or otherwise perform actions themselves.

Yet!

The Enchantment Centre reminds you that the Lighted Associate Airship will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak. In the event that the Weighted Associate Airship does speak, the Enchantment Centre urges you to disregard its advice.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-20, 01:09 PM
handaxe,str,javelin str , a shotgun str

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-20, 01:55 PM
handaxe,str,javelin str , a shotgun str

Handaxes and javelins are not ranged weapons, they are thrown weapons. Thus, they use different rules than ranged weapons. As the Thunder Cannon is a ranged weapon, thrown weapons are not an appropriate comparison.

And no, shotguns would not use STR.

tieren
2017-02-20, 04:50 PM
Handaxes and javelins are not ranged weapons, they are thrown weapons. Thus, they use different rules than ranged weapons. As the Thunder Cannon is a ranged weapon, thrown weapons are not an appropriate comparison.

And no, shotguns would not use STR.

Probably would use strength then if he was throwing the cannon at something instead of shooting it.

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-20, 07:24 PM
Probably would use strength then if he was throwing the cannon at something instead of shooting it.

Perhaps, but that's an entirely different character. We're talking about an Artificer, not a Bloodstorm Blade or Hulking Hurler.

Newtonsolo313
2017-02-20, 07:43 PM

Well I mean if you run out of ammo...

RazDelacroix
2017-02-20, 08:58 PM
I scoff at the notion that an artificer cannot use Strength as a means to deal damage with the Thunder Cannon! Surely there is a reason for such cunning creators to construct cobalt chimpanzees who chuck cannons with celebrated candor!

Okay, so I just want to see chimps chucking cannons now...

Regitnui
2017-02-21, 03:06 AM
Another question from my artificer player: thunder cannon damage is just 2d6?

Quintessence
2017-02-21, 03:14 AM
Another question from my artificer player: thunder cannon damage is just 2d6?

I would say 2d6+dex...

Regitnui
2017-02-21, 03:40 AM
I would say 2d6+dex...

Does dex apply to damage rolls as well as attack? The question comes from comparing with the dagger. I'm AFB, so I'm asking.

D-naras
2017-02-21, 04:05 AM
Thunder cannon works just like a bow or crossbow: You add your dex mod to attack and damage rolls with it.

Quintessence
2017-02-21, 05:13 AM
Does dex apply to damage rolls as well as attack? The question comes from comparing with the dagger. I'm AFB, so I'm asking.

Yes it does, if the weapon uses dex as attack, it uses dex as damage.

Camman1984
2017-02-21, 08:41 AM
I really like the idea of this class, I am concerned that the mechanical servant will get murdered at every opportunity, even at level 6 a cr2 beast is fairly squishy. I like that it acts on it own though so it can run/fly away without me burning actions

Gembi
2019-04-01, 06:11 PM
Yes it does, if the weapon uses dex as attack, it uses dex as damage.

"The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that deals 2d6 piercing damage, which counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances and immunity from nonmagical attacks and damage."

Does this mean the Artificer adds DEX as an attack bonus, but Spellcasting Ability (INT) for damage?

MeeposFire
2019-04-01, 06:24 PM
"The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that deals 2d6 piercing damage, which counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances and immunity from nonmagical attacks and damage."

Does this mean the Artificer adds DEX as an attack bonus, but Spellcasting Ability (INT) for damage?

Negative. It is a weapon attack and so uses your dex mod for damage like other ranged weapon attacks in order for it to use the int mod in general it would need to be called out as using your spell casting mod or stating that it a spell attack.

What that statement is referring to is that weapon counts as magical much like a +1 long bow is a magical weapon which means it can overcome resistance and immunity to normal weapon attacks. A magical +1 long bow would also overcome resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage but would also use your dex mod for attack and damage.