PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for new players?

SangoProduction
2017-02-20, 12:17 PM
As in new players to your campaign, not to D&D. Here's my personal list.

You must have a character that's got a reason to go out and adventure. Even a reluctant hero is acceptable, so long as you tell me what they need to be convinced to adventure. (Perhaps their mentor orders it, for example.)
No lone wolves. Batman may be a cool hero...but this is a group game. You don't get to have your own one-on-one in the middle of a session just because you don't want to go with the group. Other times, it's more appropriate, like the scout...scouting, or you wrapping up your character's story arch.
Your characters must at least tolerate each other. Again, this is a group game. If you can't tolerate each other, then there's no reason you would be together. Even Good and Evil will put aside differences (if temporarily) to defeat a greater threat.
No Evil (Or Chaotic Neutral). Yes, I know about Evil characters, and they can be enjoyable...if played well. But, generally, when a player wants to play Evil, they just do it in a distasteful way that detracts from the game. No, you can not tie the princess to the train tracks, and burning down the inn for no reason is not responded well towards. If you've got a reference saying you've played an Evil character in a reasonable way, sure, we can try.
I sometimes grant character-specific items. These items, however, may disrupt the perceived balance of the party. I reserve the right to reverse, or rectify, any such problems if I grossly underestimated its effect. I will give at least a session's warning before making any such decision.
Just generally agree to no "breaking the game". K? This isn't a campaign where the God Wizard is the only thing that can survive. You don't need to deal 4k damage on a charge, or chain gate stuff.
Also, Book of Erotic Fantasy is banned. This sort of stuff is much better enjoyed in the flesh...or at least in video, if the former is unavailable. At the table, this is just creepy.
If there's a rule you think is done wrong, drop a link to the rule itself, or take no more than 15 seconds explaining it. Else, we will go with the rule as it is right now, and it can be fully explained in the post-game forums. I rarely rule in opposition to the players in the cases of ambiguity.

Here's what the comments in the thread give, abbreviated versions:

(Geddy2112, rrwoods) Abolish/downplay alignments.
(Stealth Marmot, and likely everyone) Don't be a d!ck.
(Iron Golem, Darth Ultron) Make a reasonable effort to learn the rules.
(Iron Golem) Yes. This is fantasy. Get over it.
(Iron Golem) Other people are playing, too.
(Darth Ultron) A reason why you are playing
(Darth Ultron) Pay attention

Geddy2112
2017-02-20, 12:37 PM
I agree. For the most part, ttRPG's don't function with lone wolves or characters who have no reason to work together.

I disagree about not allowing evil alignments, but only if the player is new to ttRPG's as a whole. I would let a veteran player who presented a functional evil character concept sit at my table any day of the week. Better than a newbie insisting their character is NG because they wrote it on their character sheet, despite their wanton slaughter of villagers and burning buildings in their wake. I would also allow a newbie to play a chaotic neutral character, so long as they actually play chaotic neutral. The problem is when they are either A. using chaotic neutral as an excuse to play the chaotic stupidest character possible and run amok on the game or B. are playing chaotic evil but lying to the DM and themselves about it. Bar chaotic stupid and chaotic evil from newbies, but if they actually want to play chaotic neutral, by all means.

The best way is to just downplay alignment as a whole, and get them to focus on other things.

I will add an expectation-Know the basics of playing the game. I don't expect you to know every rule, but know the basic mechanics of running your class, particularly in combat. I don't want you spending 5 minutes figuring out how to make a melee attack.

daremetoidareyo
2017-02-20, 12:43 PM
I feel like new players need to get evil out of their system. All evil goblinoid campaign fixes the desire to really test the table top and how far it'll go.

I usually do a "hunt the unicorn" with newbs followed by defend the dungeon against the heroes.

rrwoods
2017-02-20, 01:14 PM
On "no Evil", my philosophy is that the player shouldn't even choose an alignment. My instructions to players is to tell me about the character. What are their goals, their hopes and dreams. What would you do in this or that situation. If those things are problematic, then we can address the issue before we even get to the question of what the character's alignment is.

After the character is totally built and ready to go for the first session, after all the conversations about personality AND mechanics are done and put to paper, only then do we say "what does that mean about your alignment?"

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-20, 01:19 PM
The most important rule:

https://dontbeadickday.com/wil_says____by_nastylittlethought-d4uou4w.jpeg

weckar
2017-02-20, 01:21 PM
rrwoods, that's a tad tricky when you build with alignment-specific mechanics in mind...

TheIronGolem
2017-02-20, 01:28 PM
Make a reasonable effort to learn the rules. This is a complicated game, and I don't expect you to be an expert. But do take the time to learn the basics of what relates to your character. If you're going to fight, you need to know how attack rolls work. If you're playing a caster, you need to know how your spells work. I don't expect you to memorize every detail, but keep a cheatsheet or something. You get a pass for your first couple of sessions, but there comes a point where I'm going to ask you for a saving throw and if you still don't know how to do that I'm just going to say you failed to keep the game moving. After the game is over I'll give you as much help as you need, but you gotta meet me halfway by paying attention when I do.
You are not Tom Servo. D&D is a silly thing. We're sitting around a table pretending to be wizards and elves. You bought into that when you came over to play, and this is not the time for you to shore up your ironic-detachment street cred. So bite down on that Monty Python reference you're about to make while I'm narrating - it wasn't funny the last hundred times I heard it, and the 101st won't be either.
Other people are playing, too. Don't hog the spotlight. I don't have a blanket ban on solo activity, but when you go off on your own I'm going to put you on pause after a couple of minutes so I can get back to the others. I reserve the right to resolve such activity by asking what you're trying to accomplish and then abstracting it into one or two rolls to see how well it worked. Also, consider how your in-character actions are likely to affect the rest of the party before you go through with them. If it's going to piss off your fellow players, it's probably the wrong thing to do, and if it's "what your character would do" then you might be playing the wrong character.

Manyasone
2017-02-20, 01:28 PM
The most important rule:
-snipped-

so much this

Uncle Pine
2017-02-20, 01:33 PM
Personally, the following applies:

The only thing you need to bring to the table is a character concept.
Your character needs to have a reason to adventure with the current group. This is basic logic: if you're joining a preexisting group full of xenophobic Evil half-orcs, don't make an elf; if we're starting a new campaign, work with everyone else so that you don't step on each other's feet.
Your character needs to be functional: I love crazy stuff, but I once had a player who wanted to play a polka dot purple elf with grappling tentacles coming out of its armpits. After spending a couple of minutes explaining to her how such character could be built and how it lived to the ripe old age of in swaddling clothes before being brutally murdered by its parents years before the starting of the actual campaign, I asked the player about her new character.
We play by RAW unless there's a gray area, using every 1st party 3.5e source available plus a couple of 3rd party books (Advanced Bestiary, Hyperconscious). You don't have to know this stuff, as there'll be plenty of time for you to learn.
Either you know the rules or you don't get cocky. Asking clarifications is acceptable, as are rules debates to a certain degree, but being acidicly annoying isn't.
Related to the above, behave.
No infinite loops.
If you use something, I can use it too.

The above has so far managed to keep my tables under control while giving the players enough leisure that their "limitations" are hardly noticed.
Rules debates usually don't happen because all the dubious interactions are taken care during character creation or before/after the sessions, so arguing is kept to a minimum. I've only had one player being very adamant about "his" interpretation of a series of rules and he's why point 5 has been introduced.
I don't have problems with Evil characters in the group if the party has none. New players learn reasonably fast that Stupid Evil characters in a fantasy world meet the same end as unorganized goblin bandits. That said, I've GMed no alignment campaigns in the past and they went very well.

Darth Ultron
2017-02-20, 01:35 PM

Your list is good, but I'd add:

*A more general reason of why you want to play, and it can't be ''I'm bored'' or ''because my boyfriend is playing the game''.

*Knowing the rules. You must at least understand the basics and anything your character has or can do.

*You must pay attention during the game. I recommend you write things like names down, as I'm not going to allow the ''um, we go back to um, that guy who talked to us before''.

Pugwampy
2017-02-20, 01:48 PM
Yes, I know about Evil characters, and they can be enjoyable...if played well.

Nope evil characters are DM domain only . Evil games are more boring and problematic . Might as well live in a dungeon and DM makes a party of heroes .

Also, Book of Erotic Fantasy is banned. This sort of stuff is much better enjoyed in the flesh...or at least in video, if the former is unavailable. At the table, this is just creepy.

Well in all fairness , there is only one feat that pumps AB points and thats found in the BOEF . There is a pretty good chance a new player will ask about feats that pump AB points.

SangoProduction
2017-02-20, 02:22 PM
On "no Evil", my philosophy is that the player shouldn't even choose an alignment. My instructions to players is to tell me about the character. What are their goals, their hopes and dreams. What would you do in this or that situation. If those things are problematic, then we can address the issue before we even get to the question of what the character's alignment is.

After the character is totally built and ready to go for the first session, after all the conversations about personality AND mechanics are done and put to paper, only then do we say "what does that mean about your alignment?"

Right. I forgot my position on alignments. It's been a while since I DM'd and I lost my list. I was going off memory. Yeah. I generally abolish alignment and generalize (or specialize, when appropriate) things that rely on alignment.

SangoProduction
2017-02-20, 02:26 PM
Well in all fairness , there is only one feat that pumps AB points and thats found in the BOEF . There is a pretty good chance a new player will ask about feats that pump AB points.

....Should I even ask?

flappeercraft
2017-02-20, 02:44 PM

You must have a character that's got a reason to go out and adventure. Even a reluctant hero is acceptable, so long as you tell me what they need to be convinced to adventure. (Perhaps their mentor orders it, for example.)
No lone wolves. Batman may be a cool hero...but this is a group game. You don't get to have your own one-on-one in the middle of a session just because you don't want to go with the group. Other times, it's more appropriate, like the scout...scouting, or you wrapping up your character's story arch.
Your characters must at least tolerate each other. Again, this is a group game. If you can't tolerate each other, then there's no reason you would be together. Even Good and Evil will put aside differences (if temporarily) to defeat a greater threat.
No Evil (Or Chaotic Neutral). Yes, I know about Evil characters, and they can be enjoyable...if played well. But, generally, when a player wants to play Evil, they just do it in a distasteful way that detracts from the game. No, you can not tie the princess to the train tracks, and burning down the inn for no reason is not responded well towards. If you've got a reference saying you've played an Evil character in a reasonable way, sure, we can try.
I sometimes grant character-specific items. These items, however, may disrupt the perceived balance of the party. I reserve the right to reverse, or rectify, any such problems if I grossly underestimated its effect. I will give at least a session's warning before making any such decision.
Just generally agree to no "breaking the game". K? This isn't a campaign where the God Wizard is the only thing that can survive. You don't need to deal 4k damage on a charge, or chain gate stuff.

For me, character backstory isn't as important as some people just see it as an annoyance to come up with one or lack creativity so I don't need one.

Lone wolves are allowed but discouraged, players decide among themselves what is ok. I don't really mind while they are ok with it

Characters don't need to tolerate each other, just the players. If there is still fun while the characters tolerate each other or not its ok.

Any alignment is ok with me.

I don't grant character specific items but I do grant unique items which will be decided within the party who keeps it.

The current game I'm running IS about breaking the game as much as you want. While using no infinite loops.

For me, only 1st party 3.5/3.0 and Dragon/Dungeon magazine, no more. If someone convinces me, I will allow some PF material backported to 3.5 but no one yet has asked so no problem there.

Red Fel
2017-02-20, 03:18 PM
I'm going to echo some sentiments here, but this is what I expect.

1. Know thy character. If you are playing a melee character, know which dice to roll for which attacks. If you are playing a summoner, have easy references for each of your little minions. Any time you have to stop gameplay to look up crap you should have known is time you're taking away from the rest of the table.

1a. If thou art new, ask ye for aid, and accept it. If you're completely new to D&D, I don't necessarily expect you to know everything about your character. Mechanics and rules are hard. But I do expect you to be willing to ask your help, and I do expect you to learn. If you ask the same "how i mine for fish" question every session, you either are not learning the rules, or you are trolling, or you have a genuine inability to learn rules. If the first two, we have a problem. If the third, you have a problem, and perhaps a rules-heavy system like D&D isn't one ideally suited to your ability level. It happens; there's nothing wrong with it, but some people have difficulty with certain rules systems.

2. An' play ye the game, an' have ye fun. This is a game and a social exercise. It's about having fun. That doesn't mean it needs to be happy all the time, and it doesn't mean you have to constantly win, but it does mean you're here to have fun. So come in a mood to have a good time, or don't come at all; don't be here to spoil others' fun. On a related point, come to play, or not at all; if you arrive, and sit back to play Fire Emblem: Heroes on your phone, don't expect me to ask you to return.

2a. Fun for all is fun for thee; fun for but thee is fun for none. While you're here to have fun, so are we; if your fun comes consistently at the cost of everyone else's, it's a net loss. Much like how you don't get to eat everyone's time, you don't get to eat everyone's fun. We're not here for your exclusive amusement; we're all here to play.

3. The will of thy DM is law. I am the DM. I have final say over matters. You will accept my ultimate ruling, or you can find another DM.

3a. Yet no law be set in stone. However, I am a fair DM. If you make a reasonable argument as to what ought to be permitted, I will hear it, and may change my position. Civility, creativeness, and an appeal to the Rule of Fun shall be acknowledged.

3b. E'en so, mistake not kindness for weakness. That said, do not confuse my willingness to compromise for a desire to be your doormat. I will bend, at times, but I will not break. And while I may heed your civil request, I will never acknowledge your rude demands or accusations. Be pleasant first, and expect nothing; you may yet receive what you ask.

Pugwampy
2017-02-20, 03:30 PM
....Should I even ask?

Chaste life . Dont Role Play mate with anyone "willingly" and get 2 AB points to put where you like . As far as i am concerned thats an easy freebee .

I think of it as a Red Sonja feat . She is undefeatable as long as she stays a virgin .

Manyasone
2017-02-20, 04:45 PM
Chaste life . Dont Role Play mate with anyone "willingly" and get 2 AB points to put where you like . As far as i am concerned thats an easy freebee .

I think of it as a Red Sonja feat . She is undefeatable as long as she stays a virgin .

And here I was thinking it would be a Constitution "pumping" feat...

Manyasone
2017-02-20, 04:46 PM
I'm going to echo some sentiments here, but this is what I expect.

1. Know thy character. If you are playing a melee character, know which dice to roll for which attacks. If you are playing a summoner, have easy references for each of your little minions. Any time you have to stop gameplay to look up crap you should have known is time you're taking away from the rest of the table.

1a. If thou art new, ask ye for aid, and accept it. If you're completely new to D&D, I don't necessarily expect you to know everything about your character. Mechanics and rules are hard. But I do expect you to be willing to ask your help, and I do expect you to learn. If you ask the same "how i mine for fish" question every session, you either are not learning the rules, or you are trolling, or you have a genuine inability to learn rules. If the first two, we have a problem. If the third, you have a problem, and perhaps a rules-heavy system like D&D isn't one ideally suited to your ability level. It happens; there's nothing wrong with it, but some people have difficulty with certain rules systems.

2. An' play ye the game, an' have ye fun. This is a game and a social exercise. It's about having fun. That doesn't mean it needs to be happy all the time, and it doesn't mean you have to constantly win, but it does mean you're here to have fun. So come in a mood to have a good time, or don't come at all; don't be here to spoil others' fun. On a related point, come to play, or not at all; if you arrive, and sit back to play Fire Emblem: Heroes on your phone, don't expect me to ask you to return.

2a. Fun for all is fun for thee; fun for but thee is fun for none. While you're here to have fun, so are we; if your fun comes consistently at the cost of everyone else's, it's a net loss. Much like how you don't get to eat everyone's time, you don't get to eat everyone's fun. We're not here for your exclusive amusement; we're all here to play.

3. The will of thy DM is law. I am the DM. I have final say over matters. You will accept my ultimate ruling, or you can find another DM.

3a. Yet no law be set in stone. However, I am a fair DM. If you make a reasonable argument as to what ought to be permitted, I will hear it, and may change my position. Civility, creativeness, and an appeal to the Rule of Fun shall be acknowledged.

3b. E'en so, mistake not kindness for weakness. That said, do not confuse my willingness to compromise for a desire to be your doormat. I will bend, at times, but I will not break. And while I may heed your civil request, I will never acknowledge your rude demands or accusations. Be pleasant first, and expect nothing; you may yet receive what you ask.

Can I use these to show to my group? Very succinct and matches with my DM style as well

Telonius
2017-02-21, 06:43 AM
There's exactly one time I used something from BoEF in a campaign, and it worked out surprisingly well. One of my players had made an Artificer with a fixation on jewelry, and wanted to incorporate that into the items she was building. BoEF had a list of alternate trinkets for each body slot (stuff like earrings for eyes slot, bindi for face, can't remember the rest of them). We ended up using the list for every item she made. It worked perfectly for the character.

The other 99% of the stuff in the book has never seen the light of day in any campaign of mine.

Red Fel
2017-02-21, 09:17 AM
Can I use these to show to my group? Very succinct and matches with my DM style as well

Can I stop you? Seriously, go ahead.

Really, it boils down to the Wheaton rule, as cited above. Respect the DM, respect the other players, try to learn the role you've picked, and try to have fun. That's really it. Everything else is table-specific.

Pugwampy
2017-02-21, 01:53 PM
There's exactly one time I used something from BoEF in a campaign, and it worked out surprisingly well. One of my players had made an Artificer with a fixation on jewelry, and wanted to incorporate that into the items she was building. BoEF had a list of alternate trinkets for each body slot (stuff like earrings for eyes slot, bindi for face, can't remember the rest of them). We ended up using the list for every item she made. It worked perfectly for the character.

The other 99% of the stuff in the book has never seen the light of day in any campaign of mine.

I had more than one person wanting to use Chaste life feat in my last campaign . I asked em how they wanted to customize their PC and they wanted more AB points.

I myself burnt two BoEF submissive feats forcing anyone who wanted to attack my PC to make a will save then I stacked the sanctuary aura from Healing hand prestige class.
The annoyed DM was forced to make two Will save rolls to touch me .

BoEF is just another book full of feats to dig through .