PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played a hexblade yet????????

Sir cryosin
2017-02-20, 02:10 PM
I know it's only been a week but I was wondering if anybody else has played a hexblade. I created on on Tuesday but I didn't have the chance to put him through his paces. So I'm just seeing if anyone has rolled up one and played it for a bit. And would like to share there experience so far.

jaappleton
2017-02-20, 02:16 PM
I was supposed to start playing one last Friday, but I spent all night in the ER and couldn't make it.

I like to think it would've been awesome, though :smallbiggrin:

RipTide
2017-02-20, 03:08 PM
I played one for a bit though we were only level 4 so didn't get all that much into it. I played a pure Hexblade bladelock, and, well i don't know what to think of it. I avoided the invocation cause Str weapons are a trap for bladelocks without MC (way to MAD needing Str for damage and hit, Dex for AC, Con for saves and health, and Cha for spells) and the smite wasn't missed because it is hard to justify it anyway compared to Armor of Agathys and Hex (we lack a good healer so AOA is almost mandatory for me and hex is just more damage over its life I think).

Cha for melee was nice, spells and Melee were both effective without having to sacrifice on health and AC to much. Compared to the fighter it made us about even in combat, with Dueling fighting style he had more always on damage while spells and, to a much lesser extent, Hexblade’s Curse picked up the slack for me. I did have a higher AC but that's only cause i was using a shield and the fight wasn't for character reasons, but in the end his AC can still grow with full plate where I am at the highest I can get without magic stuff.

Hexblade’s Curse was ok, almost like having an extra spell slot, but it only really felt satisfying to use against the boss, other enemy's just drop to fast to get more than 2 swings at them. The invocation would have helped, but again Str is a trap, and it just feels bad to have the better part of your defining trait locked behind a tax.

the expanded spell list is crap, warlocks don't have enough spell slots to make good use of shield, all the smites are hard to justify for the same reason as the invocation smite, and magic and elemental weapon while not bad just seem redundant compared to hex. The rest of the spells aren't too bad, though that's only 4 spells on the list that are worth anything.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-20, 09:44 PM
Our current campaign (CoS) is almost over and my Hexblade character sheet for the next game is ready to go!

I'll keep you posted.

Steampunkette
2017-02-21, 12:55 AM
Ask me, again, Saturday night.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-21, 08:29 AM
The thread will be here for y'all to post how it's working.

tomato
2017-02-21, 08:42 AM
My wife rebuilt her level 14 pact of the blade warlock into a hexblade and played it this weekend. It's a very damage-oriented archetype. She played the greatsword version (yes, using strength) and has found it to be a lot of fun. She doesn't need to worry about being MAD so much since she already didn't stack Cha/Dex excessively, and focused on just strength for weapon attacks. She keeps greater invisibility up in combat almost 100% of the time, so doesn't use her smite effects super-often, and doesn't find herself getting to use the level 10 feature (hits become miss on d6 roll of 4+). Overall, her build basically became just better by including the hexblade features. She also had to do some variant human gimmicks to start with greatsword proficiency at level 1, and so the ability to play something like this using her half-elf race right from the start really sold her on the archetype. Personally, I really liked Destructive Wave, and wonder if it might be too strong on this kit. A party-friendly, prone on failure massive aoe doing fireball-equivalent damage but using two damage types that are very unlikely to be resisted is very good for a character that can survive in melee.

Haldir
2017-02-21, 10:28 AM
My Red Dragon Sorcerer took the first level in Hexblade at CL6 and I played him last Saturday.

1. Charisma to weapon damage is awesome. A single level of Hexblade solves the MAD problem that has plagued spellsword characters for decades. Next level when I get +CHA damage to spell, I calculated a nova damage of around 80-120 using Fireball, Green Flame Blade, and some Absorb Elements/Elemental weapon trickery. (The character has previously spent time and gold to research both of these spells.)

2. Proficiency is a really nice bonus. I was rocking a AC of 18 because there was no reason not to use a shield.

3. I got Inspiration bonus for my intimidate checks because I essentially worship and ancient war machine, threatened a guy with an ancient fire and referred to him as meaningless ash. Super fun roleplay there.

4. The Hexblades Curse was nice, but the daily limits don't make it too powerful, I don't think. Great for the nova and rollplaying some demented anger.

My conclusion is that Hexblade is amazing. Just a little on the side of too amazing. Expect nerfs.

Misterwhisper
2017-02-21, 05:23 PM
My Red Dragon Sorcerer took the first level in Hexblade at CL6 and I played him last Saturday.

1. Charisma to weapon damage is awesome. A single level of Hexblade solves the MAD problem that has plagued spellsword characters for decades. Next level when I get +CHA damage to spell, I calculated a nova damage of around 80-120 using Fireball, Green Flame Blade, and some Absorb Elements/Elemental weapon trickery. (The character has previously spent time and gold to research both of these spells.)

2. Proficiency is a really nice bonus. I was rocking a AC of 18 because there was no reason not to use a shield.

3. I got Inspiration bonus for my intimidate checks because I essentially worship and ancient war machine, threatened a guy with an ancient fire and referred to him as meaningless ash. Super fun roleplay there.

4. The Hexblades Curse was nice, but the daily limits don't make it too powerful, I don't think. Great for the nova and rollplaying some demented anger.

My conclusion is that Hexblade is amazing. Just a little on the side of too amazing. Expect nerfs.

I fully expect it to get nerfed simply because the design team are hypocrites.

"We do not balance the game around the idea that people multiclass."

We will see.

Hexblade is not OP at all for a warlock, it is only OP when you take 2 levels of Warlock to get 90% of the good things from the class and then you go Bard or ever worse Sorcerer.

If it gets nerfed it is simply because it is too powerful on a Sorcerer, not because it makes Warlock too powerful.

skaddix
2017-02-21, 11:10 PM
3 Levels Really.

But yeah the problem is 2 Spell Casting Slots is too few. They seriously overestimated the number of short rest one can reasonable expect. 1-2 but to be effective you need 3. Warlocks should be balanced at 1.5. Not 3 Short Rest.

Haldir
2017-02-22, 08:44 AM
I fully expect it to get nerfed simply because the design team are hypocrites.

"We do not balance the game around the idea that people multiclass."

We will see.

Hexblade is not OP at all for a warlock, it is only OP when you take 2 levels of Warlock to get 90% of the good things from the class and then you go Bard or ever worse Sorcerer.

If it gets nerfed it is simply because it is too powerful on a Sorcerer, not because it makes Warlock too powerful.

I think Hexblade is by far the most powerful patron available, so the nerf is likely going to take some of that into consideration.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-22, 09:08 AM
I think Hexblade is by far the most powerful patron available, so the nerf is likely going to take some of that into consideration.

Are you kidding me hexblade is not the most powerful patron. The strongest partron is fiend. Hexblade is strong on a single target for 1 min but that's it.

jaappleton
2017-02-22, 09:13 AM
Are you kidding me hexblade is not the most powerful patron. The strongest partron is fiend. Hexblade is strong on a single target for 1 min but that's it.

100% agreed.

Hexblade's job is once per short rest, you pick a target and outright eliminate it. In my mind, its just as much Hexblade as it is 4e Avenger because of that. But outside of that? It's OK. It's not spectacular. Its a really good gish, but its not the outright strongest.

But overall? Its Fiend. Fiend has better survivability with temp HP, Tomb of Levistus, better AoE with access to Fireball, can do a good nova with Kiss of Mephistopholes by capping off a round of Eldritch Blasting with Fireball as a bonus action...

Fiend was already really good, and was pretty much the strongest Patron. Now its even better.

Giant2005
2017-02-22, 09:37 AM
Fiend has better survivability with temp HP, Tomb of Levistus
Tomb of Levistus is trash. The Hexblade's self heals + half damage (that stacks with all other defenses) provide far better survivability than the Fiend's Temp HP which doesn't stack with some of the Warlock's other primary defenses.

better AoE with access to Fireball
Fireball in the Warlock's max (5th) level slot does 10d6 damage to a 20' radius sphere. The Hexblade's Destructive Wave does 10d6 with better and more damage types, to a 32.5' radius sphere. The Hexblade wins again.

can do a good nova with Kiss of Mephistopholes by capping off a round of Eldritch Blasting with Fireball as a bonus action...
That is a much better comparison, but still not exact. At max level, the Fiendlock can potentially do 4d10+20+10d6 (average 77) damage with that technique while a Hexblade expending the same resources could do 4d6+20+10d8 (average 79) damage. The difference is that the Fiendlock can also inflict AOE damage to any other nearby enemies on his attack, and the Hexblade can pull off an additional 10d8 (with a second Smite), inflict more with feats, and still has use of his bonus action (which could be used for another 5d6 within the same round via Branding Smite, or if lucky, another 2d6+10+10d6 via a bonus action attack + third Smite if a GWM). I'd call their nova potential a draw because they both have their advantages.

jaappleton
2017-02-22, 09:45 AM
Tomb of Levistus is trash. The Hexblade's self heals + half damage (that stacks with all other defenses) provide far better survivability than the Fiend's Temp HP which doesn't stack with some of the Warlock's other primary defenses.

Fireball in the Warlock's max (5th) level slot does 10d6 damage to a 20' radius sphere. The Hexblade's Destructive Wave does 10d6 with better and more damage types, to a 32.5' radius sphere. The Hexblade wins again.

That is a much better comparison, but still not exact. At max level, the Fiendlock can potentially do 4d10+20+10d6 (average 77) damage with that technique while a Hexblade expending the same resources could do 4d6+20+10d8 (average 79) damage. The difference is that the Fiendlock can also inflict AOE damage to any other nearby enemies on his attack, and the Hexblade can pull off an additional 10d8 (with a second Smite), inflict more with feats, and still has use of his bonus action (which could be used for another 5d6 within the same round via Branding Smite, or if lucky, another 2d6+10+10d6 via a bonus action attack + third Smite if a GWM). I'd call their nova potential a draw because they both have their advantages.

Hexblade's self heal only applies to its Curse target. So that's once per short rest. Call it twice with Curse Bringer if you really want to. As opposed to killing anyone with Fiend, at any time.

Tomb of Levistus is an excellent defensive option on a class sorely lacking them. They get no Evasion, Uncanny Dodge... If I get hit with a dragon breath attack, I'm likely to survive because of ToL. They get Dark One's Own Luck to help a bit, while the Hexblade gets.... Oh. Right. Basically NOTHING at level 6.

Yes, Destructive Wave is a better spell than Fireball. But you don't get DW until level 9, as opposed to lv5 for Fireball. Of course DW is a better spell! You're comparing apples to oranges there. You're comparing a 3rd level spell to a 5th level. It's a bad comp.

Bottom Line: For single targets, Hexblade is STELLAR. Going 1v1 against a BBEG? There's few single class characters I'd put in front of it. But for all around adventuring? I think Fiend offers more. I think Fiend is a more 'complete, all around' character while Hexblade is much more focused. And that's fine, we both know each of them has their uses.

MadBear
2017-02-22, 09:58 AM
Yes, Destructive Wave is a better spell than Fireball. But you don't get DW until level 9, as opposed to lv5 for Fireball. Of course DW is a better spell! You're comparing apples to oranges there. You're comparing a 3rd level spell to a 5th level. It's a bad comp..

There's also something to be said about having fireball as a ranged option, compared to a DW which requires you to be near.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-22, 09:59 AM
Tomb of Levistus is an excellent defensive option on a class sorely lacking them. They get no Evasion, Uncanny Dodge... If I get hit with a dragon breath attack, I'm likely to survive because of ToL.

And you're incapacitated until the end of your next turn. No actions. No reactions. So those 10 temp HP you just got? They're gone from the attack that caused you to initiate ToL, and now you're about to get clobbered and there's nothing you can do about it.
It's not as cool as it seems.

And that dragon's breath? You have vulnerability to fire damage, so yeah.... you aren't nearly as likely to survive your example as you seem to think.

jaappleton
2017-02-22, 10:00 AM
And you're incapacitated until the end of your next turn. No actions. No reactions. So those 10 temp HP you just got? They're gone from the attack that caused you to initiate ToL, and now you're about to get clobbered and there's nothing you can do about it.
It's not as cool as it seems.

It's 10X your level.

30 at level 3, 100 at level 10...

Giant2005
2017-02-22, 10:04 AM
Bottom Line: For single targets, Hexblade is STELLAR. Going 1v1 against a BBEG? There's few single class characters I'd put in front of it. But for all around adventuring? I think Fiend offers more. I think Fiend is a more 'complete, all around' character while Hexblade is much more focused. And that's fine, we both know each of them has their uses.

I can agree with that, although I still feel obliged to point out a couple of things you have overlooked - most notably the Hexblade's level 14 ability. It upgrades the Cursed Target from just 1 or more (via Curse Bringer) targets per short rest, to infinity per short rest.
The other issue is your disagreement regarding Fireball vs Destructive Wave. Your disagreement would be valid on any other spellcaster, but spell level only matters if you can control the level of the slot you are using. Fireball being level 3 is meaningless to a level 9+ Warlock if he is forced to use a level 5 spell slot regardless - that lack of control makes the comparison of a level 5 spell vs a lower level spell cast in a level 5 slot more apt than it would otherwise be for any other caster.

Giant2005
2017-02-22, 10:06 AM
There's also something to be said about having fireball as a ranged option, compared to a DW which requires you to be near.

Yes but there is also something to be said about DW having a prone rider and a free (and more powerful version of) Sculpt Spells attached to it. DW is still the better spell.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-22, 10:09 AM
I'm not saying LoT is bad. But if you're using your reaction practically every (other) round, and only getting your action every (other) round because you are trying to survive, then you aren't doing much to actually end the threat.
And vulnerability to the most common elemental damage type from the moment you react until the end of your next turn isn't going to do you any favors. It's not bad, but it's not as cool as you're making it out to be.

jaappleton
2017-02-22, 10:11 AM
I can agree with that, although I still feel obliged to point out a couple of things you have overlooked - most notably the Hexblade's level 14 ability. It upgrades the Cursed Target from just 1 or more (via Curse Bringer) targets per short rest, to infinity per short rest.
The other issue is your disagreement regarding Fireball vs Destructive Wave. Your disagreement would be valid on any other spellcaster, but spell level only matters if you can control the level of the slot you are using. Fireball being level 3 is meaningless to a level 9+ Warlock if he is forced to use a level 5 spell slot regardless - that lack of control makes the comparison of a level 5 spell vs a lower level spell cast in a level 5 slot more apt than it would otherwise be for any other caster.

Right, but I'm talking more about your entire adventuring career, 1-20. Comparing their stuff side by side is fine, of course. We agree that at certain points, each overtakes the other in various areas.

Hexblade's capstone > Fiend's
Fiend's lv6 > Hexblade's
Etc

And I think there's a lot to be said about the ability to deal with hordes at lv5 as opposed to having to wait for lv9. Yes, it's a four level difference. In the grant scheme of 1-20, is it THAT big of a deal? No.

But considering most tables (according to the WOTC survey) and their games around level 12 or 13... It's noticeable.

Please note, I love the Hexblade. I'm excited to play one. I think its lv6 needs work, but we all agree on that. I'm just saying that "It's by far the best Patron" simply isn't true. I would certainly say it isn't even the most FUN, I'd give that title to GOO. But I also don't doubt the Hexblade would last longer in a fight than the GOO.

jaappleton
2017-02-22, 10:15 AM
I'm not saying LoT is bad. But if you're using your reaction practically every (other) round, and only getting your action every (other) round because you are trying to survive, then you aren't doing much to actually end the threat.
And vulnerability to the most common elemental damage type from the moment you react until the end of your next turn isn't going to do you any favors. It's not bad, but it's not as cool as you're making it out to be.

I know its the most common damage type. I can't argue against that. Would I use it in the 9 hells? LOLNOPE.

But is it worth taking as an invocation? Yes. As your first one? No. But its worth having. In terms of a Warlock Handbook, I'd rate it as Black/Blue. If you're in a fire heavy campaign, facing demons, devils, or venturing on the Elemental Plane of Fire, going to the City of Brass, its obviously red.

Yes, fire is the most common spell damage type. 100% true. And there's plenty of things that don't do fire damage, too.

Giant2005
2017-02-22, 10:19 AM

It is useful in big, aoe novas like Dragon's Breath (unless it is fire damage), so it does have a lot more value than I first thought. Still, against everything else it is basically a self-only Hold Person spell. It takes you out of the fight without really mitigating much of anything because the enemies will just damage your allies instead of you.
It does have a use, but Invocations are a scarce enough resource that it is already rare for people to take rarely useful abilities such as that one. With even more choices on the table thanks to UA, I really can't see anyone ever taking that Invocation unless for roleplaying purposes.

EDIT: Actually, I am thinking it is far more useful than I give it credit for (to the point where it could easily be considered OP). Although considering the nature of ability it is obviously an unintended exploit, there is nothing stopping you from using the Ready Action to attack right after the end of your turn (when the ice melts). You could effectively run a cycle of: attack + ToL, attack, attack + ToL, attack, attack + ToL etc.

retaliation08
2017-02-22, 10:20 AM
I have played Hexblade at levels 1 and 2.

-The AC bonus was super nice, though I will still squishy on the HP side of things

- Hexblades curse is nice, but I only got the healing benefit from it once as most cursed things would die before I took damage.

- CHA to all damage (melee and EB: Agonizing) is really nice at low levels. I out DPRed both the fighter and the paladin, but neither are terribly optimized and will easily out DPR my Hexblade in another level or 3.

Haldir
2017-02-22, 02:27 PM
Pact Magic is so limited, I feel it's necessary to interject that with only a handful of spells, the benefit of Hexblade in melee combat probably outpaces magic damage over the course of the adventuring day, especially because you don't have to worry about losing vital damage to a sucessful save.

ShirAhn
2017-02-23, 05:48 AM
I was supposed to start playing one last Friday, but I spent all night in the ER and couldn't make it.

I like to think it would've been awesome, though :smallbiggrin:

I hope you are ok,

jaappleton
2017-02-23, 06:56 AM
I hope you are ok,

3 year old pushed the 6 year old off the bed. 6 year old hit his head on the bedpost on the way down, and ended up getting staples.

He was back to his normal happy go lucky self in no time. So everyone is fine, overall.

Genuinely, thank you for your concern. It's appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2017-02-25, 09:00 AM
I finally got to play my Hexblade!

So I'm an Eladrin. DM uses 27 point buy, but you can go over 15 if you want. I convinced him to let me swap the +1 Int of Eladrin to +1 Cha. Level 3. Started with two Uncommon magic items. I took Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Cloak of Protection. Also using Spell Points from the DMG, but short rest (so 6 points every short rest)

Pact of the Blade, Agonizing Blast and Curse Bringer

Str 19
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

My previous character, a Hill Dwarf Light Cleric, died midway during the session, and I always have the next character ready so that if that happens, I can be introduced quickly and keep playing. So I only got into one fight, really.

BUT IT RULED!

We were in a tavern, where the town itself was being surrounded by a Goblinoid army. They'd cut off trade routes, the town was barricaded up like a fort, walls and all that. The guard captain wouldn't do anything and threatened to arrest us if we undermined his efforts because he wanted to look like a hero, despite being a bumbling fool. The guard captain is in my face, attempting to berate me. I figured this was a great point to introduce my powers.

"I stand up, form a fist with my right hand, and press it against my left palm. As I pull my right hand away, I pull a silver greatsword, etched in black with ancient Elven runes, seemingly out of my left palm. I let the blade rest over my right shoulder before grabbing him with my left hand, pulling the guard captain close, and whispering 'My blade can do a LOT more than you, little man.' I'd like to roll Intimidate"

It's a two person party, myself and an archery focused spell-less Ranger. His high perception led us to see that there was a scouting party of 4 goblins and 3 Hobgoblins nearby, and we managed to get the drop on them.

I led off with Shatter, and took out 3 of the 4 Goblins in one go. The Ranger shot clear through the head of the other Goblin and we focused on the Hobgoblins at this point. One got my pretty good, something about doing extra damage when fighting with other Hobgoblins. After using Hexblade's Curse, I took it out the next round, healing myself a bit before moving the curse with Curse Bringer. Two left.

Now we're each fighting one, so we divided them up to prevent them from getting bonus damage.

"I vanish in a cloud of silvery mist before appearing behind my enemy, bringing the Greatsword down upon it from overhead. Misty Step. Do I have advantage?"
"You certainly do!"

Rolls of 20 and 19. Either way it was going to be a crit because of Hexblade's Curse. And I utilized my smite-like ability, and though the rolls were low, I managed to cleave through the Hobgoblin, and heal myself yet again via Hexblade's Curse.

At the same time, my companion pressed his crossbow against temple of the last remaining enemy and pulled the trigger.

I'd spend pretty much all my resources, but the battle felt so rewarding. We're a two person party, so the battles can be very swingy. Yet he rocked that fight pretty well, I think. We decided to go back to the Inn to get a little rest and regain our resources, and ended the session there.

The Hexblade is a TON of fun. I had solid damage throughout, Hexblade's Curse really saved me with the self healing, as I got hit for over half my health in one hit (I have 27 HP). So killing two enemies pretty quickly after that to regenerate 6HP each really helped me stay on my feet. I went through my resources pretty quickly, but that's what really decided the battle. If I hadn't reduced their numbers via Shatter, we would've been in trouble. I felt like my AC was a little low, at 17 (14 + 2 Dex + 1 from Cloak of Protection), but regaining HP via Hexblade's Curse really helped keep my upright. Crits are just so darn rewarding, too. Everything I did had a real sense of power to it.

I'm thinking of GWM at level 4, but I can be convinced otherwise. I don't think I have the Invocation room to really utilize Darkness / Devil's Sight for Advantage, plus that'd impose disadvantage on my Ranger ally anyways. Alert is a solid choice, and Lucky is good for anyone, but Inspiring Leader has some advantages.

I don't think I really need to raise my Charisma higher. I'm definitely melee first, to get the Curse Bringer benefits. And I mostly utilize my spell points for the smite-like ability and Shield. But we'll see what happens.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-25, 09:38 AM
I finally got to play my Hexblade!

So I'm an Eladrin. DM uses 27 point buy, but you can go over 15 if you want. I convinced him to let me swap the +1 Int of Eladrin to +1 Cha. Level 3. Started with two Uncommon magic items. I took Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Cloak of Protection. Also using Spell Points from the DMG, but short rest (so 6 points every short rest)

Pact of the Blade, Agonizing Blast and Curse Bringer

Str 19
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

My previous character, a Hill Dwarf Light Cleric, died midway during the session, and I always have the next character ready so that if that happens, I can be introduced quickly and keep playing. So I only got into one fight, really.

BUT IT RULED!

We were in a tavern, where the town itself was being surrounded by a Goblinoid army. They'd cut off trade routes, the town was barricaded up like a fort, walls and all that. The guard captain wouldn't do anything and threatened to arrest us if we undermined his efforts because he wanted to look like a hero, despite being a bumbling fool. The guard captain is in my face, attempting to berate me. I figured this was a great point to introduce my powers.

"I stand up, form a fist with my right hand, and press it against my left palm. As I pull my right hand away, I pull a silver greatsword, etched in black with ancient Elven runes, seemingly out of my left palm. I let the blade rest over my right shoulder before grabbing him with my left hand, pulling the guard captain close, and whispering 'My blade can do a LOT more than you, little man.' I'd like to roll Intimidate"

It's a two person party, myself and an archery focused spell-less Ranger. His high perception led us to see that there was a scouting party of 4 goblins and 3 Hobgoblins nearby, and we managed to get the drop on them.

I led off with Shatter, and took out 3 of the 4 Goblins in one go. The Ranger shot clear through the head of the other Goblin and we focused on the Hobgoblins at this point. One got my pretty good, something about doing extra damage when fighting with other Hobgoblins. After using Hexblade's Curse, I took it out the next round, healing myself a bit before moving the curse with Curse Bringer. Two left.

Now we're each fighting one, so we divided them up to prevent them from getting bonus damage.

"I vanish in a cloud of silvery mist before appearing behind my enemy, bringing the Greatsword down upon it from overhead. Misty Step. Do I have advantage?"
"You certainly do!"

Rolls of 20 and 19. Either way it was going to be a crit because of Hexblade's Curse. And I utilized my smite-like ability, and though the rolls were low, I managed to cleave through the Hobgoblin, and heal myself yet again via Hexblade's Curse.

At the same time, my companion pressed his crossbow against temple of the last remaining enemy and pulled the trigger.

I'd spend pretty much all my resources, but the battle felt so rewarding. We're a two person party, so the battles can be very swingy. Yet he rocked that fight pretty well, I think. We decided to go back to the Inn to get a little rest and regain our resources, and ended the session there.

The Hexblade is a TON of fun. I had solid damage throughout, Hexblade's Curse really saved me with the self healing, as I got hit for over half my health in one hit (I have 27 HP). So killing two enemies pretty quickly after that to regenerate 6HP each really helped me stay on my feet. I went through my resources pretty quickly, but that's what really decided the battle. If I hadn't reduced their numbers via Shatter, we would've been in trouble. I felt like my AC was a little low, at 17 (14 + 2 Dex + 1 from Cloak of Protection), but regaining HP via Hexblade's Curse really helped keep my upright. Crits are just so darn rewarding, too. Everything I did had a real sense of power to it.

I'm thinking of GWM at level 4, but I can be convinced otherwise. I don't think I have the Invocation room to really utilize Darkness / Devil's Sight for Advantage, plus that'd impose disadvantage on my Ranger ally anyways. Alert is a solid choice, and Lucky is good for anyone, but Inspiring Leader has some advantages.

I don't think I really need to raise my Charisma higher. I'm definitely melee first, to get the Curse Bringer benefits. And I mostly utilize my spell points for the smite-like ability and Shield. But we'll see what happens.

I got a sword and board hexblade vhuman. We roll stats and I got good stats so I have two feats warcaster and tough. If I didn't have tough I would be dead by now. So I would recommend tough, inspiring leader, and later GWM. Inspiring leader you might be able to get more milage out of because you can give your friend temp HP as well.

jaappleton
2017-02-25, 11:08 PM
Aaaaaaaaand my Hexblade died. :smallfrown:

Just some really bad rolls. Neither myself or my ally rolled higher than an 8 to attack for like 6 turns in a row.

Steampunkette
2017-02-25, 11:36 PM
It.

Was.

AMAZING.

I can't wait for next Saturday!

Level 3, fighting off a small army of Hobgoblins and Worgs with my teammates, throwing a 22 point Hellish Rebuke at a Booyagh after getting hit with Magic Missile, throwing out a Shatter when I wasn't using Green Flame Blade to slice and burn my way through (GFB On a low AC Worg, Fire Damage to the Hobs). Finally getting taken to 2hp by repeated hits and throwing out my curse on a near-dead Hob just so I could kill him for the self-healing.

It was magical and I loved it. I haven't enjoyed playing D&D this much in years.

DracoKnight
2017-02-25, 11:37 PM
It.

Was.

AMAZING.

I can't wait for next Saturday!

Level 3, fighting off a small army of Hobgoblins and Worgs with my teammates, throwing a 22 point Hellish Rebuke at a Booyagh after getting hit with Magic Missile, throwing out a Shatter when I wasn't using Green Flame Blade to slice and burn my way through (GFB On a low AC Worg, Fire Damage to the Hobs). Finally getting taken to 2hp by repeated hits and throwing out my curse on a near-dead Hob just so I could kill him for the self-healing.

It was magical and I loved it. I haven't enjoyed playing D&D this much in years.

I am looking forward to trying out the hexblade in the future! :smallbiggrin:

Sir cryosin
2017-02-26, 09:14 AM
Aaaaaaaaand my Hexblade died. :smallfrown:

Just some really bad rolls. Neither myself or my ally rolled higher than an 8 to attack for like 6 turns in a row.

I feel your pain on Tuesday we were fighting 3 frost giants and two winter wolf's. We're lv5 hexblade me, gunsmith artificer, lore bard, and assassin rouge. We're on a wall firing down on them then me thinking one of the giants was almost dead. I decided to jump off the wall onto the back of the giant so I can do more damage. I fumbled a acrobatics roll. Landing on my ass and then I was surrounded by Frost giant two. Into winter wolf. I have tough feat so I had HP of a fighter but that didn't last I was dropped to single-digit. I got back on the wall. Then the giants got throught the wall by now we killed 2 and the last one was inside the wall. I tried to redeem myself by trying to look cool again running and jumping on the last giant again and once again I fumbled the f****** acrobatics roll. So I fall losing the rest of my HP. So laying there I start roll up a new character while making my death saving throws. So after making a few death saving throws I stabilize. Then wake up a few hours later. Yes the bard and artificer could heal me but they for some reason decided to be jerks to my character so they just left me. So I have had a hexblade for two weeks and haven't been able to do jack with it first week was all RP then last week I was rolling ****. So I am just so frustrated that I don't even think I want to continue with this character.

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-26, 10:38 AM
I feel your pain on Tuesday we were fighting 3 frost giants and two winter wolf's. We're lv5 hexblade me, gunsmith artificer, lore bard, and assassin rouge. We're on a wall firing down on them then me thinking one of the giants was almost dead. I decided to jump off the wall onto the back of the giant so I can do more damage. I fumbled a acrobatics roll. Landing on my ass and then I was surrounded by Frost giant two. Into winter wolf. I have tough feat so I had HP of a fighter but that didn't last I was dropped to single-digit. I got back on the wall. Then the giants got throught the wall by now we killed 2 and the last one was inside the wall. I tried to redeem myself by trying to look cool again running and jumping on the last giant again and once again I fumbled the f****** acrobatics roll. So I fall losing the rest of my HP. So laying there I start roll up a new character while making my death saving throws. So after making a few death saving throws I stabilize. Then wake up a few hours later. Yes the bard and artificer could heal me but they for some reason decided to be jerks to my character so they just left me. So I have had a hexblade for two weeks and haven't been able to do jack with it first week was all RP then last week I was rolling ****. So I am just so frustrated that I don't even think I want to continue with this character.

Seems like that was a series of dangerous decisions rather than anything wrong with the character.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-26, 10:41 AM
Seems like that was a series of dangerous decisions rather than anything wrong with the character.

I know I wasn't blaming the class.

The reason I feel like retiring the character is because of party.

jaappleton
2017-02-26, 12:57 PM
Thinking of a Protector Aasimar Hexblade. Some small innate healing, and flight once per day. Could certainly flavor it as a Holy Avenger or some other divine blade as my Patron.

jaappleton
2017-03-11, 10:30 AM
Thinking of a Protector Aasimar Hexblade. Some small innate healing, and flight once per day. Could certainly flavor it as a Holy Avenger or some other divine blade as my Patron.

So I played this.

We snuck up on an enemy encampment. A Goblinoid logging camp. Three Hobgoblins in charge, about 12 goblins that looked like actual 'guards', and the rest were workers.

Party of two, myself and a Human Open Hand Monk.

We did really well. Monk was able to take out the goblins with ease due to his multiple attacks, and using Ki to dodge when necessary.

I utilized the Darkness / Devil's Sight combo.

We started off by sneaking up on the encampment, so we had a moment to prep as we saw fit. I activated the Protector Aasimar's transformation form, so at level 4, I was dealing 2d6 + 4 (Str) + 2 (Prof Bonus) + 4 (Aasimar), so 2d6 + 10, on my attacks. I was killing most things in a single swing, getting Advantage from Darkness / Devil's Sight and enemies had Disadvantage against me.

After 9 rounds and so many enemies, only 3 attacks hit me, and I kept my Concentration on Darkness the whole time. I was able to keep my health up via Curse Bringer, regenerating 7 HP per kill.

I spent a round or two picking goblins up, flying high into the air, and then dropping them. :smallbiggrin:

I've been a Warlock a couple times. Never used the Darkness / Devil's Sight combo prior, as I found it a bit cheesy. But with only a 2 person party, I wanted to... y'know. Live.

I'm legitimately coming to the conclusion that because of Hexblade's Curse and Curse Bringer, Strength builds are the way to go if you're maining Hexblade. If you're going to just dip for some of the Hexblade feature, whatever. But if you're going to mainly be a Hexblade, Curse Bringer and Strength are your best friends. I'd even make the argument that for some builds, depending on your spell choices and style, you can set Charisma at 16 and simply leave it there.

If you're dipping Hexblade for whatever reason, like you want Hexblade 2 / Paladin whatever, then that's another ball of wax.

But pure Hexblade? I really think Strength is superior, because of the ability to extend Hexblade's Curse throughout the battle.

Steampunkette
2017-03-11, 10:55 AM
I get to play my Hexblade, again, this week! :D We hit level 4 after managing to escape and rescuing the villagers to bring them to a nearby town. I wound up getting to do lots of between-game RP (My character is an information gathering face, but we know how much spotlight that can steal during the few hours we have to play with the rest of the party, so the DM will roleplay with me on Skype and such).

I'm so in love with the style of the class, I went ahead and made a Tiefling Hexblade to replace a level 8 character I'll be retiring in an Out of the Abyss game (We just reached Gauntlgrym and my Ranger will lead a second group into the depths as an NPC while the Tiefling joins the party). But I decided to do it -way- different and went Tome pact so I could get more cantrips and be the battelfield controller. We've got a Bard that loves Cloud of Daggers and a Wizard that loves her new Wall of Fire, so Thornwhip and Repelling Blast will give me at-will forced movement to push and pull enemies into the danger.

I AM SO EXCITED!

Arcangel4774
2017-03-11, 10:59 AM
I've been playing one and am loving it. We are only level 4 but it's got some stupidly high nova, with good dpr. When you have your awesome sword you get to turn all the adds of the fight into little health packs. The weapon smite when added to the crits on 19 are the real fun part. I don't think people realize the weapon smites do 2d8 per spell slot level and dont require concentration.

DracoKnight
2017-03-11, 12:14 PM
I don't think people realize the weapon smites do 2d8 per spell slot level and dont require concentration.

What gave you that impression?

jaappleton
2017-03-11, 12:21 PM
When you have your awesome sword you get to turn all the adds of the fight into little health packs.

Emphasis mine.

This is the biggest thing for me. This is why Strength and Curse Bringer is the way to go for a Hexblade.

With the Hexblade's ability to nova for so much damage, you can go after a solo, tougher enemy.

With the ability to shift the Curse around, you can take out all the smaller foes and keep yourself upright.

Hexblade really moves you from a caster to a warrior, if you want to be one. It alters your style so radically, its amazing. IMO this speaks to the fact that the Warlock may very well be the best designed class in the game.

DracoKnight
2017-03-11, 12:41 PM
@jaappleton how did you solve the AC problem for the STR build?

On Standard Array, half-elf is the best, so:
15/14/13/12/10/8

Becomes:

16 (15+1)/12/14 (13+1)/8/10/16 (14+2)

Even with half-plate, you're looking at a 16 AC which is not great for someone wielding a two-handed weapon. I guess you could ask your DM for Gauntlets of Ogre Power and set up your stats like:

8/14 (13+1)/16 (15+1)/10/12/16 (14+2)

But magic items aren't a given in any campaign, so I'm curious as to how you personally laid out your stats/armor you wore. :smallsmile:

Arcangel4774
2017-03-11, 01:11 PM
What gave you that impression?

Just did a double check. Cursebringer (hexblades sword) does but the moonbow doesn't.

Edit: moonbow does. 2d8 damage per spell level

jaappleton
2017-03-11, 01:21 PM
@jaappleton how did you solve the AC problem for the STR build?

On Standard Array, half-elf is the best, so:
15/14/13/12/10/8

Becomes:

16 (15+1)/12/14 (13+1)/8/10/16 (14+2)

Even with half-plate, you're looking at a 16 AC which is not great for someone wielding a two-handed weapon. I guess you could ask your DM for Gauntlets of Ogre Power and set up your stats like:

8/14 (13+1)/16 (15+1)/10/12/16 (14+2)

But magic items aren't a given in any campaign, so I'm curious as to how you personally laid out your stats/armor you wore. :smallsmile:

You know I've been a big "Just get Gauntlets of Ogre Power" proponent. My DM is a little generous, and let us start with 2 Uncommon magic items. Again, its only a 2 person party. I took Gauntlets and Cloak of Protection, which set my AC at 17, with Dex being 14.

I'm honestly convinced most builds are... Well, if you aren't able to roll stats, you'll need some help. Between every class needing Con, gishes needing both their attack and spellcasting stat, and some gishes needing a bit of Dex in addition to their Strength, you're going to have a bad time if you're not rolling stats.

At lv4, I didn't increase any stats. I went with Blade Mastery from the Feat UA article awhile back. Gets me +1 to attack rolls, and I can use my Reaction to assume a defensive stance to get +1 AC until my next turn. And I always do that, I don't chance the 'I might need an opportunity attack' thing. It's two people, so the odds of an enemy leaving my reach to go hit someone else are slim to none.

So I'm at 18 AC, and still have the Shield spell in case of emergency.

DracoKnight
2017-03-11, 02:09 PM
You know I've been a big "Just get Gauntlets of Ogre Power" proponent. My DM is a little generous, and let us start with 2 Uncommon magic items. Again, its only a 2 person party. I took Gauntlets and Cloak of Protection, which set my AC at 17, with Dex being 14.

I'm honestly convinced most builds are... Well, if you aren't able to roll stats, you'll need some help. Between every class needing Con, gishes needing both their attack and spellcasting stat, and some gishes needing a bit of Dex in addition to their Strength, you're going to have a bad time if you're not rolling stats.

At lv4, I didn't increase any stats. I went with Blade Mastery from the Feat UA article awhile back. Gets me +1 to attack rolls, and I can use my Reaction to assume a defensive stance to get +1 AC until my next turn. And I always do that, I don't chance the 'I might need an opportunity attack' thing. It's two people, so the odds of an enemy leaving my reach to go hit someone else are slim to none.

So I'm at 18 AC, and still have the Shield spell in case of emergency.

Thanks for this summary, I was having a really hard time seeing how it was going to work on Standard Array. This just proves my point that I made in a comment I left on the survey: Curse Bringer should be usable with Hex Warrior. It makes this build much easier to pull off.

DracoKnight
2017-03-11, 02:11 PM
Just did a double check. Cursebringer (hexblades sword) does but the moonbow doesn't.

Edit: moonbow does. 2d8 damage per spell level

I know that they do. Claw of Acamar, Curse Bringer, Mace of Dispater, and the Moon Bow all give the 2d8 per spell level smite...my question was why do you think people don't understand that?

jaappleton
2017-03-11, 04:38 PM
I know that they do. Claw of Acamar, Curse Bringer, Mace of Dispater, and the Moon Bow all give the 2d8 per spell level smite...my question was why do you think people don't understand that?

I'm not speaking for him, but I as much as I love the ability to do that amazing nova, it totally stomps all over the Paladin Smite.

But Paladins get tons of other goodies. Lay on Hands, Aura, Channel Divinity, d10 HD, etc. so maybe it isn't a big deal.

DracoKnight
2017-03-11, 05:16 PM
I'm not speaking for him, but I as much as I love the ability to do that amazing nova, it totally stomps all over the Paladin Smite.

But Paladins get tons of other goodies. Lay on Hands, Aura, Channel Divinity, d10 HD, etc. so maybe it isn't a big deal.

I've run a couple of test sessions to see it in play, and it's proven to be a nice nova to have, but the players were more inclined to cast darkness for better survivability, or hex for sustained DPR/debuffing.

So I think the number of choices + limited slots for the warlock, vs. lots of other Paladin features and more spell slots evens it all out.

Laserlight
2017-03-11, 05:28 PM
I'll be playing a Fighter 1 / Hexblade 2 next week. The Fighter dip is for CON save, Duelist fighting style and heavy armor. Add Hex, Curse, and Booming Blade.

Arcangel4774
2017-03-11, 06:18 PM

Your pretty much right. My point was the nova is stronger damage wise and allows for concentration when compared to paladin smite.

To me it gives you an improved version of paladin nova with enough perks to easily justify the increased (by percent) resource cost.

I doubly value it better as my dm likes to have one or two difficult fights with a high chance players going down as apposed to a more easy fights. Meaning as a Warlock I almost always have both my slots up, and I rarely have to worry about conserving resources. Even moreso as there s almost always time for short rests.

DracoKnight
2017-03-12, 03:26 PM
Your pretty much right. My point was the nova is stronger damage wise and allows for concentration when compared to paladin smite.

To me it gives you an improved version of paladin nova with enough perks to easily justify the increased (by percent) resource cost.

I doubly value it better as my dm likes to have one or two difficult fights with a high chance players going down as apposed to a more easy fights. Meaning as a Warlock I almost always have both my slots up, and I rarely have to worry about conserving resources. Even moreso as there s almost always time for short rests.

Makes sense.