PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need a Wis based build for a boss battle

Braininthejar2
2017-02-20, 05:52 PM
Assuming that my player survives the next adventure, she will be placed in a supernatural test, where she is asked about the Big Bad she faced in the first arc of the campaign, the key question being "what if your roles were reversed?"

She will then face the Big Bad's old party (leveled to around level 20, to match her team) with an evil version of herself replacing the villain.

The thing is, she is a druid, and the "evil her" wouldn't be. But with a 10,15,17,13,21,12 stat line, there are few other classes that would fit her, and team evil already has a cleric.

What would you suggest I made of her? I was thinking archivist, but I've only ever used one and only to about 10 level. I have no idea how to make one an effective level 20 boss.

Eldariel
2017-02-20, 06:17 PM
There are Clerics and Clerics. It's a class broad enough to cover two completely different characters; certainly the easiest "anti-Druid" would be to make an (un)death and decay-themed Cleric, or perhaps the tech- and machinery-angle (Artificer could be amusing in this sense, but it's decidedly non-Wisdom based). That said, Archivist could certainly work (primarily Int-based with secondary Wis-based stats) and there isn't too much to making them; cherrypick Cleric and Domain spells and abuse Dark Knowledge. It's basically just an omnicaster without Turning/Domains but with almost all the spells. Crafting one for level 20 encounter isn't much different.

Certainly, there are other options too. Complete Psionics offers Ardent as a Wisdom-based manifester, and far as prestige classes go, there's always Ur-Priest (Blighter exists too but it sucks so bad you can't even with good will consider it anything like a true Anti-Druid). Many paths lay open to you.

Particle_Man
2017-02-20, 06:24 PM
Why wouldn't BBEG-her be an evil druid (NE is allowed, isn't it?)? I think there is even a druid prestige class based on messing up the environment (Blighter?).

Anyhow, with a good con and wis, a NE incarnate (possibly with the prestige class necrocarnate) might be interesting (from Magic of Incarnum).

I suppose a LE monk is possible - not really threatening, but they can be annoyingly difficult to actually kill (high defenses, capable of running away, etc.).

If you are allowing Pathfinder classes, I believe there is a sorcerer that uses an archetype that allows wis instead of cha as the casting stat?

Particle_Man
2017-02-20, 06:26 PM
Actually if you want a more effective version of "evil monk" you could go "evil swordsage" form Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.

If it is 20th level you could even go to the "Master of Nine" prestige class build.

Braininthejar2
2017-02-20, 07:13 PM
Evil druid doesn't fit story-wise: the big bad was adopted by a leader of a powerful merchant company/crime sindicate.

The rest of the evil party is two fighters ( a half ogre with a greatsword, and an archer with trick arrows) a cleric (close combat oriented) and a wizard

I'm liking the archivist idea more and more, but the overabundance of available options confuses me. What should I go for, beyond the most obvious "use magic to cheat at initiative roll, shapechange into a beholder, keep the party in antimagic cone as the half ogre charges at the casters" ?

Telonius
2017-02-20, 09:04 PM
Cleric of Nerull could be an option. Instead of worshiping nature (and, by extension, life) it would be turned upside down and worshiping death and destruction.

Another option would be Warlock. Since it's not really ability-dependent, you could play it with most any ability line. Get your powers from a deal with unseelie fey (again, warping the Druid idea).

RocksInMyDryer
2017-02-20, 09:54 PM
I always wanted to make a Githzerai Monk with the Saint template and a Vow of Poverty. Might be fun.

Particle_Man
2017-02-20, 10:29 PM
I don't see a BBEG with vow of poverty, since the E in BBEG stands for evil.

But maybe a Warlock? Simple to run at least.

DrMotives
2017-02-20, 10:39 PM
Druid + Crime Syndicate could be an evil Urban Druid. Those can be NE, and the urban companion will even mirror your PC's animal companion. You can also use Vile spells for your anti-druid.

Deophaun
2017-02-20, 11:19 PM
Druid + Crime Syndicate could be an evil Urban Druid.
Definitely. I could see such a druid helping to supply a syndicate with the fantasy equivalent of an opioid with the intention of using the spread of addiction to collapse the economic and legal pillars of cities, reducing its ability to cope with the oncoming plague about to be carried by a vermin tide, all so the land can reclaim what those filthy humanoids stole.

Metahuman1
2017-02-20, 11:37 PM
Look up "The X stat to Y bonus" thread.

Look at the builds.

Look at Sir Wisdom The SAD.

Profit. (Might need to tweak it for evil. Paladin of Tryanny or something.).

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-21, 11:57 AM
Complete Divine: Blighter