PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feat for melee tempest cleric

EDL
2017-02-20, 06:34 PM
Hey everyone.

I'm going to try a melee tempest cleric with BB as a main attacking cantrip. It's a rebuild of an another character (DM allowed it due to some changes in our party). So he's already 3 level and has gauntlets of ogre strength.

So the plan is to start as a VHuman storm sorc (for BB, shield spell, CON saves and some fluff ofc) an go cleric after. Thanks to gauntlets i can dump STR (and still have it at +4 which is enough for me) and still have good WIS\CON with decent CHA.

So I'm thinking what feat should i choose at lvl 1. I'm considering War Caster (but our DM doesn't care much about V\S\M components so it gives only spell OA's and better concentration saves), Shield Master (getting advantage to lay divine strike seems nice, but spiritual weapon and healing word are also great contenders for bonus action), Resilent (for better DEX or WIS saves). Or maybe I'm missing something?

Any advice on this matter?

BigONotation
2017-02-20, 06:42 PM
First off, it sucks when DMs don't enforce casting rules, really makes casters even more powerful for free.

Regarding your feat choice, War Caster is still the best choice.

bid
2017-02-20, 07:01 PM
Warcaster only if your DM regularly have enemies leave your reach. Otherwise you would never AO anyway.

Shield master... you're not taking the attack action if you use BB. So no bonus shove.

Crusher
2017-02-20, 08:05 PM
Shield master... you're not taking the attack action if you use BB. So no bonus shove.

I was pretty crushed to realize this. BB + Shield Master don't work together the way you'd hope they would.

Edit - Also, Warcaster is a feat who's value can really bounce around. If your DM doesn't have monsters move and isn't a stickler for caster restrictions (doubly so if you're using a 2H weapon) its value drops by a ton. On the other hand, you can't take Polearm Master or Shield Master if you start Sorc VHuman so your options are a bit limited. You might consider Elemental Adept (I think that's what its called), going for either Thunder or Electricity.

Saggo
2017-02-20, 08:52 PM
You'll appreciate advantage on Concentration more than the occasional shield shove and evasion, if your DM pays attention to Concentration mechanics (which given they ignore VSM, not unlikely).

Otherwise Lucky. Can never go wrong with Lucky.

bid
2017-02-21, 01:38 AM
I was pretty crushed to realize this. BB + Shield Master don't work together the way you'd hope they would.
Yeah, it's a pain how many nice things only work with attack action.

Uzgul
2017-02-21, 04:22 AM
Mobile works pretty well with bb. Walk up to an enemy, use bb, walk away. If he wants to hit back, he is either forced to use a ranged attack or take the extra damage.
Though this tactic depends a lot on the style of encounters and other PCs. With multiple enemies and few other melee PCs, it's pretty strong. With singular enemies and multiple other melees, it's pretty bad.
Also works better, if you play in a grid.