PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me build the Crit Machine!

fatbaby
2017-02-20, 10:53 PM
So its been a while since I built a PC, typically I DM now, and when I do build characters they are generally straight-forward, single class characters. But a buddy of mine wants to play a kinda whacky, optimized Munchkin style game. Example - his build is a ranger with a 20 passive perception at level 1, which at max will have a passive perception of 30 and investigation of like +15 or something. So I wanna build a Crit Machine. As many attacks as possible with the most chances of critting. I was thinking about a fighter/monk build, but I figured I would ask the hive mind to see if they would grace me with their infinite knowledge. Please, and thank you in advance!

RSP
2017-02-20, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure other threads have tackled this in the past but I imagine a Champion sword and board build with the Shield Master feat, possibly with a level of Rogue for Expertise Athletics, and/or a level of Barbarian for Advantage on Strength checks while raging would do the trick.

Start your turn with Bonus Action Shove to knock your opponent prone, granting Advantage on all your melee attacks. 2 d20's per attack to increase the chance of rolling a 19 or 20 (or 18 at later Champion levels).

Bonus points if a half orc for the extra die of damage when successful with a Crit.

Squibsallotl
2017-02-20, 11:18 PM
Don't forget the Lucky feat, being a Halfling and/or two levels of Diviner Wizard for Portent. More dice rolls and re-rolls mean more chances to crit. A familiar could use the Help action to provide advantage to your attacks, as an alternative to Shield Master.

Mjolnirbear
2017-02-20, 11:55 PM
Play a kobold. Advantage for days and days. Add champion for increased crit.

Mongobear
2017-02-21, 12:34 AM
Assuming level 20 builds:

Half-Orc
Barbarian 9 (Berserker)
Fighter 11 (Champion)

GWM + Great Axe

3 Attacks per attack action, Bonus Action attack from GWM -or- Frenzy, Action Surge for nova burst, all the usual goodies from Barbarian for funsies.

I have personally tried almost every possible build with this sort of character between level breakdowns, Weapon Types/Feats, and dips. I personally feel that this build is the most functional and durable as far as actually being a real character.

A lot of people will swear up and down about Divine Smite, Sneak Attacks, Hex/Hunter's Mark, and other similar extra dice sources, but they are almost all limited uses and/or one-trick ponies. This build can quite literally do what it was meant to do until the enemy stops moving or your hp bar is empty.

The only other version that to my play-style came close was Barbarian 14/Fighter 6 for a much more reliable Reaction attack every round from Berserker's Retalliation feature, which effectively gives you a 5th attack per initiative lap, assuming stuff tries to fight you in melee.

Foxhound438
2017-02-21, 12:52 AM
So I think your best bet is to go something like fighter (champ) 5/ barbarian 2/ fighter the rest. Choose half orc as your race to make it that much more impactful when you do crit, and probably use a greataxe. Barb 2 gets you free always-on advantage.

The next best thing would probably be paladin (vengeance) 5/ fighter (champ) 3/ paladin the rest. Main differences are that you only get free, easy advantage against 1 enemy per short rest, but has a massive advantage in that you can throw out a divine smite on your crit for massive crit damage. Probably take polearm master as a variant human at level 1.

Innocent_bystan
2017-02-21, 01:11 AM
Ranger 3 gives horde breaker, a free extra attack to crit with, Hunter's mark and an extra fighting style. Seems like a good addition to a crit build.

Malifice
2017-02-21, 01:24 AM
So its been a while since I built a PC, typically I DM now, and when I do build characters they are generally straight-forward, single class characters. But a buddy of mine wants to play a kinda whacky, optimized Munchkin style game. Example - his build is a ranger with a 20 passive perception at level 1, which at max will have a passive perception of 30 and investigation of like +15 or something. So I wanna build a Crit Machine. As many attacks as possible with the most chances of critting. I was thinking about a fighter/monk build, but I figured I would ask the hive mind to see if they would grace me with their infinite knowledge. Please, and thank you in advance!

Champion 3/ Barbarian 17 (half orc).

bid
2017-02-21, 01:28 AM
A crit machine has bad DPR until tier 3, but I don't think you care about that.

You want champion 3 for improved critical or hexblade or some magic weapon that increases your crit range.
You want some form of advantage such as reckless attack to improve your chances of getting a crit.
You might want assassin for auto-crit once in a while (isn't there a ranger that can auto-crit too?)

To maximize your crit damage:
- paladin smite or the warlock invocations is the best boost
- GWM gives you another attack
- rogue SA
- barbarian brutal needs 9 levels
- half-orc savage attack by itself reduces overall damage (2d6 does more than 1d12) but hey!

And of course, you need TWF just for another shot at it. With 3 attacks (4 with reaction) + advantage + improved critical you might get a crit every 2 rounds.

Champion 3 / barbarian 17 with GWM.
Champion 3 / barbarian 2 / assassin 15 with TWF.
Hexbladelock 5 / paladin 3 / rogue 1 with shield master and expertise athletics to prone when vengeance is down.

I would explore the UA hexblade, I think it's your best chance of finding something new.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-21, 03:30 AM
I'm just gonna say any arcane/divine warrior with multiple attacks and Hold Person for the automatic critical hits. (See the Paralyzed condition.)

Eldritch Knight gets Hold Person as early as 8th level, and eventually gets 4 attacks per round. (8 w/Action Surge)

Vengeance Paladin gets Hold Person at 5th level, and gets fewer attacks but Divine Smite + auto crits is kinda broken.

Hexblade gets Hold Person at 3rd level, and by 9th level they can do an extra 10d8 with the Curse Bringer Invocation. (or +20d8 on a crit)

Giant2005
2017-02-21, 05:35 AM
Crit builds are worthless if you don't have a lot of variable damage to be increased on a crit. Basically, you need to be able to Smite.
Something like Barb 2 (Reckless Attack)/Champion 4 (Increased crit range)/Hunter 4 (Horde Breaker)/Paladin 2 (Smite)/Bladesinger 8 (Full Spellcasting Progression, Extra Attack, Haste) would be best.

You could also do pretty well as a Moon Druid by relying on the high number of dice rolled while Wildshaped (although the build would be sub-par until late game).
Something like Moon Druid 9/Frenzy Barb 5/Champion 3/Hunter 3